follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 09-08-2017, 06:55 PM   #365
G_Ride

Drives: Some kind of Subaru
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwd View Post
FS ran in cooler conditions and less rubber on the course, I think it would have been a good battle in FS with Scroggs in the class as well. I was surprised they put the Camaro in DS to begin with, it should have been in FS IMHO. I think they will move it there eventually, but they just classed the new Civic Type-R in DS as well, and how fast it will be remains to be seen.

I predict a mass exodus from DS to SSC.
It probably would be a great battle. However, I disagree that the turbo Camaro belongs in FS. I can understand the V6 Camaro being in FS. I have talked to Mark about this, and I agree with him. Mark is just one of those alien drivers.

As for the Civic Type R, we'll have some data at the end of the month. There is supposed to be a Type R showing up (belonging to another fast driver) to a local event at Crows Landing. Mark and the owner of the Type R will be driving both cars back to back.
G_Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:01 PM   #366
G_Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
I haven't been around too long but nearly 2s up on the quickest 86 both here and at the ProSolo, that's a bit much to dismiss as 'alien' to me. Nobody else is winning by as wide a margin in Street or Street Touring except in ES.

Even when Wilcox was accused of cheating last year in STX he was up by 1.3s at the end, Heitkotter is currently up 1.3s in STU. If there's a precedent for having >1.5s up on the whole field I'll yield, but he ran on the same day as CS and would have been 2nd by 0.3s and would have won FS, 2nd in STP which should be way faster but maybe I'm missing something there, but STR and STS ran decent on PAX those days so idk. Just seems that it's a bit unbelievable to have that wide a margin on talent alone when other big names aren't putting up times that quick.
Maybe the Camaro should be in CS.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:30 PM   #367
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Ride View Post
Mark and the owner of the Type R will be driving both cars back to back.
I wanted to go to that, then you mentioned the Type-R earlier and now I'm going to do everything in my power to be there.

Quote:
Power vs. handling seems to work out ok for WRX vs. 86, Mini vs. 86 in STX, I'm sure there's other good comparisons. But at nearly double the power and 1,000 lbs weight difference it would be an odd experiment.

Skimming this years results Mark would still be winning in CS, just not by as wide a margin. I wouldn't be opposed to the board keeping it in DS next year because there's really only one competitive Camaro set up right now, if a few more switch over and he proves himself to really be an alien that hit the jackpot on a chassis and tires that works well with his style then so be it.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:48 PM   #368
solort

Drives: Series 10 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have made the investment for DS (with 3 sets of light wheels, custom valved Konis and new rain tires), and think I just need to tune the handling and drive the car better. So I will be staying in DS ( unless I decide to go back to GS with my mk7 GTI...
solort is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to solort For This Useful Post:
Shark_Bait88 (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 09:51 PM   #369
solort

Quote:
I think we need Scroggs in CS...
Old 09-08-2017, 11:19 PM   #370
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solort View Post
I have made the investment for DS (with 3 sets of light wheels, custom valved Konis and new rain tires), and think I just need to tune the handling and drive the car better. So I will be staying in DS ( unless I decide to go back to GS with my mk7 GTI...
If I'd invested that much, I'd be staying in DS too. As it is, I only have 1 set of wheels/tires, OTS Konis, and a Strano FSB that I was planning to swap out anyway. Definitely easier for me to switch.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:11 PM   #371
DaWorstPlaya

Drives: 2016 FR-S
I'll be staying is DS. Local competition is very important to me as that is the majority of my events during the year. I only do about 2 or 3 National Tour events a year. I don't want to have to wait for National tour events just to get some decent competition. If you don't have good competition locally to push you, there won't be any need to improve your driving.

IMHO, the SCCA needs another class as badly as it needs a bullet wound.
DaWorstPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaWorstPlaya For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (09-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 12:14 PM   #372
solort

It will be interesting to see how they pax the class vs CS, DS, and STX...
The Following User Says Thank You to solort For This Useful Post:
Shark_Bait88 (09-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 09:02 PM   #373
Twinz

Drives: 2016 FR-S MT, 2015 Scion FR-S AT,
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
My local club uses a "pro" class where people from different classes can compete using pax. Pax isn't perfect of course but good benchmarks are good benchmarks. I have a couple national champions and a few other fast drivers I use as benchmarks.

I know when I am improving and when I am off even when I have no one in CS.

I will try and get the fast guys to drive my spec setup and formulate my own multiplier until we get more data.
Twinz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Twinz For This Useful Post:
TrqlessWonder (09-11-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 10:53 AM   #374
Locust
Custom User Title

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S, 2012 OB Evo X MR
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Locust
I don't know how you guys can say that the Camaro isn't an overdog in DS. Look at what Des Toups did in Mark's car. Mark is good, no doubt, and last year he got pretty close to Otis in FS with the Mustang. But I think if he had the Camaro last year he could have taken FS. We can all agree that McElvey is a bit of an "alien driver" in CS, can't we? Mark was right on pace with him.

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:
DSGPerformance Drift Office Evil Apex Racing

Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locust For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 11:08 AM   #375
G_Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
I don't know how you guys can say that the Camaro isn't an overdog in DS. Look at what Des Toups did in Mark's car. Mark is good, no doubt, and last year he got pretty close to Otis in FS with the Mustang. But I think if he had the Camaro last year he could have taken FS. We can all agree that McElvey is a bit of an "alien driver" in CS, can't we? Mark was right on pace with him.
You have a good point. I didn't consider how well Des did.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:26 AM   #376
M0nk3y

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS / Chevy Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
It's funny how you like to attack other drivers, yet when they attempt to say high to you and be genuine, you turn a cold shoulder and walk right past them.

Anyways, Des is a good driver, so any comparison you're trying to make to prove to other people isn't really valid.

Where is Dennis's time listed? Dennis in his WRX ran a 61.558, basically matching Mark on his second run. Des was a 62.761 on the same course (62.336 dirty).

Dennis fully admitted he just wasn't on pace for the East.

According to PAX, McCelvey was basically on normal pace with his west course run, and CS is softer than what I'd think it should be this year.

Anyways, I think you're nuts. Just because you were way off pace doesn't mean you should start throwing out wild data points that cannot even stand on their own
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:32 AM   #377
Locust
Custom User Title

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S, 2012 OB Evo X MR
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Locust
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
It's funny how you like to attack other drivers, yet when they attempt to say high to you and be genuine, you turn a cold shoulder and walk right past them.

Anyways, Des is a good driver, so any comparison you're trying to make to prove to other people isn't really valid.

Where is Dennis's time listed? Dennis in his WRX ran a 61.558, basically matching Mark on his second run. Des was a 62.761 on the same course (62.336 dirty).

According to PAX, McCelvey was basically on normal pace with his west course run, and CS is softer than what I'd think it should be this year.

Anyways, I think you're nuts. Just because you were way off pace doesn't mean you should start throwing out wild data points that cannot even stand on their own
I'm sorry, what? Who am I attacking? And I never walked past anyone who tried to say hi to me?

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:
DSGPerformance Drift Office Evil Apex Racing

Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:46 AM   #378
Twinz

Drives: 2016 FR-S MT, 2015 Scion FR-S AT,
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post

CS soft this year?

I didn't catch the full list at the banquet, but there were national champions that didn't get into the trophies in CS...I wouldn't call that "soft".
Twinz is offline   Reply With Quote