follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-30-2014, 11:35 AM   #29
flashburn

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrussi View Post
ok Guys i am happy to announce that the rasp on my car is completely gone!
my current setup is: revworks header/plm overpipe/nameless catted front pipe/invidia Q300 cat back
the car sounds amazing! cold starts are a bit loud but not a bit of rasp and now no matter what rpm you press the gas there are no more annoying old car farts. this exhaust is very deep and quiet which was exactly what i was looking for. the car sounds the way it should have come from the factory. nice deep subie rumble with no drone at cruising speeds.

so definately the weak part was the oem catback. it seems its not able to handle the extra flow/different pulsations from the uncatted UEL.
Nice. I ordered the Perrin 2.5" Resonated, so hopefully that gets me rasp-free as well.
flashburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:45 PM   #30
flashburn

This blows. Just put on the Perrin Catback, and guess what, the rasp is STILL there! What the fuck? So now I'm thinking maybe I should just go back to stock front/over/mid pipes and just stick with the RevWorks UEL's and the Nameless Axelback. Which sucks, I really wanted to squeeze out all the performance I can out of this engine.

I don't understand, since I know people have the same setup of Perrin 2.5", RevWorks UEL's, and the Nameless Front/Over with no rasp. Could the Helmholtz somehow be causing rasp? Seems counter-intuitive.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:26 PM   #31
flashburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonystewart View Post
Perrin Resonated Catback doesn't get rid of rasp, i stated that in post #24
wrussi stated the factory catback was the weak link, I believe his assessment is inaccurate
You might of said it, but @industrial said it would, as have others. Also plenty of people said the factory catback with UEL headers/front/over has rasp.

This engine... sucks.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:19 PM   #32
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Can someone post a good and clear video on the FA20 engine with rasp. My current setup is a Borla UEL, Motiv OP, Stock Front pipe, Perrin 2.5inch CB resonated. I still don't understand what the rasp sounds like.
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:34 PM   #33
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
Can someone post a good and clear video on the FA20 engine with rasp. My current setup is a Borla UEL, Motiv OP, Stock Front pipe, Perrin 2.5inch CB resonated. I still don't understand what the rasp sounds like.
Here, this is rasp on my old 3"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrR42x_MVIs"]JDL UEL catless header + Nameless Full 3" Headerback Exhaust - YouTube[/ame]

Here is my current N1 setup.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arXr-sJuH1M"]JDL UEL Catless Header + JDL Overpipe + Invidia Catted Fron - YouTube[/ame]

Hear the difference?
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FR-S Matt For This Useful Post:
akahenry (02-09-2014), jflogerzi (02-09-2014)
Old 02-09-2014, 12:45 AM   #34
Basket Case

Drives: 2013 Raven fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post

Hear the difference?
how much drone is there with your N1 and UEL setup? I keep going back and forth on what type of exhaust to get and its killing me because i can't seem to decide. I want a louder exhaust, but i don't want drone.
Basket Case is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:37 AM   #35
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Hear the difference?
yes big difference. First setup had a very rough, course sound. Not very pleasant. Second i much better. I think having the stock front pipe really kills alot of rasp from the headers. I need to get some decent rolling clips and a stationary one. Just need a decent video camera with a decent mic for SQ.
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:29 AM   #36
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by industrial View Post
Sell the axleback and buy the 2.5inch Perrin resonated catback. I had a the same setup (jdl instead of rev headers) and the same issues. Sounds much better now. People have had success with the invidia q300 as well.
Thanks for the heads up! I think I'll just get their fp/op (catted and resonated) instead of their axleback, and go with a Q300 or Perrin catback. Still debating on whether to go JDL or NP for the header.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:44 AM   #37
Dr. BRZ

Drives: 2013 WR Blue Pearl BRZ Limited 6MT.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
so basically all of you guys are saying nameless the mighty and powerful isnt so much when it comes to noise and headers? remember this peeps when you consider nameless all the way. lesson learned.
Dr. BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:27 AM   #38
FR-S Matt
Banned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basket Case View Post
how much drone is there with your N1 and UEL setup? I keep going back and forth on what type of exhaust to get and its killing me because i can't seem to decide. I want a louder exhaust, but i don't want drone.
Don't did this setup then. Has some drone because of that extremely deep, bass line tone. I don't mind it because the sound is right where I want it. Might be worth trying this with a Nameless DP/OP with a Helmholtz to see if the drone is eliminated.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:32 AM   #39
FR-S Matt
Banned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. BRZ View Post
so basically all of you guys are saying nameless the mighty and powerful isnt so much when it comes to noise and headers? remember this peeps when you consider nameless all the way. lesson learned.
They still make the best DP/OP on the market as "bang for your buck" with minimal bends and an optional Helmholtz resonator. Their axlebacks just don't have much muffle because they are small mufflers. 3" exhausts just sound bad when they are loud. I've even heard a 3" Perrin resonated that had rasp from a Borla UEL. Beat to just stick to 2.5" until you want a turbo.
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S Matt For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (02-09-2014)
Old 02-09-2014, 08:59 AM   #40
Basket Case

Drives: 2013 Raven fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Don't did this setup then. Has some drone because of that extremely deep, bass line tone. I don't mind it because the sound is right where I want it. Might be worth trying this with a Nameless DP/OP with a Helmholtz to see if the drone is eliminated.
I guess when I say I don't want drone, I don't want tons of it. Let me give you and sample since it's so hard to try and convey something lie this over a forum.

I used to daily drive (100 miles + a day) a mustang gt with a carless x pipe (all 4 cats deleted) and flow master 40's (1 step quitter then their loudest 10 series single chamber mufflers). I loved how the car sounded, and could tolerate the drone to a degree, but it was so much that I always had to yell at my fiancé sitting next to me, and I could barely talk on the phone.

Is your setup like that, or just a little drone?
Basket Case is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:50 AM   #41
flashburn

Quote:
The Nameless Performance and/or the JDL Design uncatted Equal Length Header with a proper tune will produce rasp and drone, it is the nature of the exhaust pulse.

Nameless Overpipe/DownPipe/Frontpipe Catted all-in-one with a Helmholtz Resonator is the first logical step. Call this section drone and rasp reduction 1.

What you placed afterwards defines what is in front of it.
I had the Perrin resonated Catback 2.5" and it was too loud.
The stock exhaust reduced the sound level to a tolerable WOT and a quiet cruise.
It must depend on the headers, but with the RevWorks headers I have a high amount of rasp regardless of the Nameless or Perrin exhaust. Also as I mentioned in the original post, I already have the Nameless Overpipe with Helmholtz.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:22 PM   #42
flashburn

Quote:
Is it catted?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Yes it's catted. No tune yet, since I'm still trying to lock down on the parts I want to go with. So rasp can change with a tune? That sounds... odd.