follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-22-2018, 05:11 PM   #15
Benji

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Neither of the buttons by the gearstick will fully disengage the various traction/stability control systems and so I don't really get the button of having them both.

The one on the left will allow a little more slip before panicking and turning everything "back on" again, even though it was never really off.

The one on the right which you have to press and hold for a couple of seconds will allow a lot more slip if you *really* provoke it but it will *still* intervene some what.

Somewhat disappointing.
Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 05:17 PM   #16
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji View Post
Neither of the buttons by the gearstick will fully disengage the various traction/stability control systems and so I don't really get the button of having them both.

The one on the left will allow a little more slip before panicking and turning everything "back on" again, even though it was never really off.

The one on the right which you have to press and hold for a couple of seconds will allow a lot more slip if you *really* provoke it but it will *still* intervene some what.

Somewhat disappointing.
That's not true.

You need to hold the button on the LEFT down for 3 seconds. That will allow you to hoon the car to heart's desire without intervening. I can do donuts, snownuts, autocross, ice racing, and all manner of smoky shenanigans all day long in that mode without the car intervening. See my first post in this thread. If you don't have JUST the two yellow lights on on your dash (WITHOUT the green light) then you haven't found the correct mode yet.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (04-04-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 05:21 PM   #17
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:

Somewhat disappointing.
Because you have no gravity on the moon.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 05:37 PM   #18
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

Somewhat disappointing.
5 years
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:08 PM   #19
Trueweltall

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
Your car comes with instructions that explain, in great detail, how every single function in the car works. No Googling necessary!
Let's be real, driving the car is much more fun than reading the manual right after buying it.
Trueweltall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:17 PM   #20
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
No. What I said was correct. Perhaps I wasn't clear. When I said "that full-off mode" I was referring to the mode I had just described in my post, which is accessible by holding the TRAC OFF button down for 3 full seconds, to fully defeat both driver aids. That mode can be accessed at ANY speed.

So, to say it again more clearly: You can hold down the TRAC OFF button for 3 seconds at ANY speed to fully disable traction and stability control.

What you are referring to is just the normal "TRAC OFF" mode accessed by only briefly pressing the TRAC OFF button. This mode is only accessible up to ~30 MPH because it isn't designed to be used above 30 MPH. It is only meant to be used in slick conditions/when you want a bit of wheelspin off the line.
If only there was a document that would tell us what is correct.
Attached Images

Ganthrithor (03-29-2018), Stang70Fastback (03-22-2018), tCsonfrs (04-11-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 06:23 PM   #21
Benji

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
That's not true.

You need to hold the button on the LEFT down for 3 seconds. That will allow you to hoon the car to heart's desire without intervening. I can do donuts, snownuts, autocross, ice racing, and all manner of smoky shenanigans all day long in that mode without the car intervening. See my first post in this thread. If you don't have JUST the two yellow lights on on your dash (WITHOUT the green light) then you haven't found the correct mode yet.
I'll give it another go!
Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:29 PM   #22
ragnarokfps

Drives: 2016 BRZ Series.HyperBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8RZ View Post
Are you pushing the buttons at low speed or fully stopped?
I've tried it in both conditions.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
ragnarokfps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:35 PM   #23
ragnarokfps

Quote:
You need to HOLD just the TRAC OFF button down for 3 full seconds. The two lights you should be getting are both yellow. They will be located just to the left of the Temperature and Fuel gauge. The top one should say "TRAC OFF" and the bottom one should have a symbol of a car on some squiggly lines and the word OFF underneath it. If you have one yellow and one green light, then you haven't done it properly, and you're only in VSC Sport mode, which I find to be rather pointless.

To engage that full-off mode, you don't have to be stopped, or moving slowly. You can do it at any speed. If you have both yellow lights on, and it's still stepping in, then something is wrong with the car.

EDIT: To clarify, after reading your post again. VSC Sport Mode WILL still exert a lot of control over the car. It is universally known to be pretty over-bearing. If you're really trying to hoon the car, you need to do what I stated above. VSC Sport Mode often doesn't allow you to do much of anything before stepping in, which is why they revised it to a Track Mode with slightly increased limits on the refreshed 2017 cars.
Thanks I'm familiar with the function of both of these buttons. I think this thread has gotten off Trac..

The buttons seem to make no change to how the car drives, as well not giving me an indicator light on the gauge cluster as they should l when these buttons are used.

I don't know what's going on. I'd post a video of it but this forum has terrible limits to uploading media.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:37 PM   #24
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarokfps View Post
Thanks I'm familiar with the function of both of these buttons. I think this thread has gotten off Trac..

The buttons seem to make no change to how the car drives, as well not giving me an indicator light on the gauge cluster as they should l when these buttons are used.

I don't know what's going on. I'd post a video of it but this forum has terrible limits to uploading media.

If NO lights are coming on, its possible the switches have become unplugged. You can easily check. Grab the shifter trim along the inside edge (where the boot meets the plastic trim ring) and give it a firm tug and it will come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
If only there was a document that would tell us what is correct.
Thanks for confirming for me! I was gonna screenshot it but I was too lazy.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 06:40 PM   #25
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueweltall View Post
Let's be real, driving the car is much more fun than reading the manual right after buying it.
Whats REALLY fun is knowing about the vehicle you are driving.
Stang70Fastback (03-22-2018), TachyonBomb (03-24-2018), Tristor (03-30-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 06:42 PM   #26
ragnarokfps

Quote:
If NO lights are coming on, its possible the switches have become unplugged. You can easily check. Grab the shifter trim along the inside edge (where the boot meets the plastic trim ring) and give it a firm tug and it will come out.

I'll give it a try right now and see what's going on under there. Thanks. I'll reply back after

The Following User Says Thank You to ragnarokfps For This Useful Post:
Stang70Fastback (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 06:42 PM   #27
Tcoat

Quote:

UMMMM Stang, it says the car needs to be stopped. As in not moving at any speed.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:44 PM   #28
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarokfps View Post
I'll give it a try right now and see what's going on under there. Thanks. I'll reply back after

Did you recently do any work on the car?