follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-22-2018, 04:49 PM   #169
ST185RC

Drives: White Out FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Not sure why people still buy G-wagons tbh. It seems to be a rich people fad. And I know what you mean about how these people get their money lol, they typically come from another country, and if you're from the GTA, Markham is full of these people.
Well, yeah, that and Markham's overpriced $8 bubble teas. No one buys a G-wagon for any purpose other than status symbol. We got the equivalent Richmond over here in BC.

No one here buys a lambo to use all 700HP for more than 2 seconds. It's a status symbol.

There's a freakin' rolls royce phantom that sits in front of a 4.9 million dollar house down my street that hasn't moved for 4 months. The car is starting to get moss on the window frame.

So yeah, I'm pretty poor in comparison in that I actually have to look after my stuff and I drive a car that was targeted for teenagers with new licenses.
ST185RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:00 PM   #170
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST185RC View Post
Well, yeah, that and Markham's overpriced $8 bubble teas. No one buys a G-wagon for any purpose other than status symbol. We got the equivalent Richmond over here in BC.

No one here buys a lambo to use all 700HP for more than 2 seconds. It's a status symbol.

There's a freakin' rolls royce phantom that sits in front of a 4.9 million dollar house down my street that hasn't moved for 4 months. The car is starting to get moss on the window frame.

So yeah, I'm pretty poor in comparison in that I actually have to look after my stuff and I drive a car that was targeted for teenagers with new licenses.
Lol, much worse than what I've seen personally regarding wasted money on cars. Watching young teenagers driving RR here is mind blowing though, same with the lime green and violet lambos, but I kind of consider those childish cars anyways. The funniest thing though is watching them try to park these cars, then just give up and park crooked.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:13 PM   #171
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachrhino11 View Post
Nice generalized silly stereotype regarding mall crawlers.
Bought not built yo.

I'm accustomed to the XJ and FSJ communities, where spending time in a bone yard and doing your own work is just sort of expected. I never paid much attention to the Wrangler crowd until I joined the local "Jeep" group. It's a whole different culture. They talk a lot about their "builds," which basically means having a local shop sell them a lift, bumpers, Fuel rims that would make Liberace proud with skinny bands of rubber that are useless anywhere but pavement, a winch and a stupid-looking angry grille, all installed by techs who are laughing at how much money they're making off these posers. Then they whine about how nobody is giving them The Jeep Wave™ the way it shows in the Fiat marketing videos.

Quote:
Jeeps; are those still a thing? Everyone rolling Ranges and G-wagons where I live. x6m and x5s aplenty here too. See also Macan and SQ5 Q7
In my area what the posers do is finance $30K to $40K on a Wrangler, then take it to a 4x4 shop and spend an additional $15K to $20K on lift, rims, tires, fenders, bumpers, winches, roof racks, sway bar disconnects they never actually disconnect, axles, angry grilles, half doors, windows for the half doors to make them full doors again, foot pegs so they can ride with their legs hanging out, sound bars, designer sunglasses, angrier grilles, rock lights (basically ricer ground effect lighting pretending to have a purpose), recovery boards they use once when they realize they bought the wrong tires for driving on the beach, decals ("It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand" or "˙ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dᴉlɟ 'sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟI"), lettering for the Jeep's name on the hood (because these idiots actually name their vehicles and talk to them like pets), super angry grilles that are so mad they look like fanged skulls, cutesy license plate frames ("ɯǝlqoɹԀ" "No Problem"), multiple tops and a hoist for the hard top that screws up the ceiling in their townhouse garage. Then, inexplicably, they top off the bill with shitty sub-$100 Flowmaster mufflers and go cruise the causeway on Wednesday nights to show off how much money they have, as reflected by their "build."

Then they get all butthurt when someone makes fun of their poser culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoNat View Post
that being said. I guaranty that a low mi, stock, well maintained Release series in 20 years will be worth more than the initial 30K...
Not after inflation. For regular production cars, you generally have to keep them 40 to 50 years before you break even on maintenance, storage and inflation.

Also, "special edition" cars don't hold their value better than the mainstream version unless there's a significant power bump as part of the package. For example, a 2001 "Freedom Edition" Jeep Cherokee is not worth more than any other Cherokee from that year, because it was basically the same Jeep with some stickers. In contrast, a Chrysler 300C will hold its value much better than a regular 300 because it has an SRT Hemi in it. Big brakes or a special paint color are not going to make any difference in the value of a BRZ or FR-S.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
ermax (02-23-2018), Vic4uf (02-22-2018), wireman957 (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 05:36 PM   #172
bkharmony

Drives: 2017 86GT
Why am I reading a bunch of youtube commenters talking about Jeeps?
bkharmony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bkharmony For This Useful Post:
Summerwolf (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 05:43 PM   #173
extrashaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkharmony View Post
Why am I reading a bunch of youtube commenters talking about Jeeps?
Because after thirteen pages spread out over a year and a half, the original topic has long since played out. If you're still reading expecting the answer to the resale value question to have changed, you deserve Jeep conversations.
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Jordanwolf (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 05:49 PM   #174
ST185RC

Drives: White Out FR-S
Quote:
that being said. I guaranty that a low mi, stock, well maintained Release series in 20 years will be worth more than the initial 30K but those are few and far between and really... Who's going to buy a special edition twin and not drive it for ten years?
No, no it won't. Not when it's nothing special. The Ts, maybe. but Release series?

I still don't get why some people talk about this car as if it was a porsche.

The FRS/GT86/BRZ will always be an economy sports coupe. that is all it will ever be no matter how fancy you dress it up.
ST185RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:18 PM   #175
extrashaky

Quote:
The Ts, maybe.
Not without a significant bump in power. When these hit their low point, it might mean you get $7300 instead of $7000 for it. In 50 years when the value finally catches up with inflation, there will be few enough of them around that the differences won't matter.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:39 PM   #176
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Because after thirteen pages spread out over a year and a half, the original topic has long since played out. If you're still reading expecting the answer to the resale value question to have changed, you deserve Jeep conversations.
This was probably your best post lmao
Old 02-22-2018, 06:45 PM   #177
Coachrhino11

Drives: Jeep Wrangler
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Bought not built yo.

I'm accustomed to the XJ and FSJ communities, where spending time in a bone yard and doing your own work is just sort of expected. I never paid much attention to the Wrangler crowd until I joined the local "Jeep" group. It's a whole different culture. They talk a lot about their "builds," which basically means having a local shop sell them a lift, bumpers, Fuel rims that would make Liberace proud with skinny bands of rubber that are useless anywhere but pavement, a winch and a stupid-looking angry grille, all installed by techs who are laughing at how much money they're making off these posers. Then they whine about how nobody is giving them The Jeep Wave™ the way it shows in the Fiat marketing videos.

In my area what the posers do is finance $30K to $40K on a Wrangler, then take it to a 4x4 shop and spend an additional $15K to $20K on lift, rims, tires, fenders, bumpers, winches, roof racks, sway bar disconnects they never actually disconnect, axles, angry grilles, half doors, windows for the half doors to make them full doors again, foot pegs so they can ride with their legs hanging out, sound bars, designer sunglasses, angrier grilles, rock lights (basically ricer ground effect lighting pretending to have a purpose), recovery boards they use once when they realize they bought the wrong tires for driving on the beach, decals ("It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand" or "˙ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dᴉlɟ 'sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟI"), lettering for the Jeep's name on the hood (because these idiots actually name their vehicles and talk to them like pets), super angry grilles that are so mad they look like fanged skulls, cutesy license plate frames ("ɯǝlqoɹԀ" "No Problem"), multiple tops and a hoist for the hard top that screws up the ceiling in their townhouse garage. Then, inexplicably, they top off the bill with shitty sub-$100 Flowmaster mufflers and go cruise the causeway on Wednesday nights to show off how much money they have, as reflected by their "build."

Then they get all butthurt when someone makes fun of their poser culture.

Not after inflation. For regular production cars, you generally have to keep them 40 to 50 years before you break even on maintenance, storage and inflation.

Also, "special edition" cars don't hold their value better than the mainstream version unless there's a significant power bump as part of the package. For example, a 2001 "Freedom Edition" Jeep Cherokee is not worth more than any other Cherokee from that year, because it was basically the same Jeep with some stickers. In contrast, a Chrysler 300C will hold its value much better than a regular 300 because it has an SRT Hemi in it. Big brakes or a special paint color are not going to make any difference in the value of a BRZ or FR-S.
You sound angry? Hell yes there’s that crowd, but to assume everyone who drives a Wrangler fits the bill is bs and not fair. But honestly I couldn’t care less what you think. We all “bought” our vehicles, I know I personally busted my knuckles with the mods I do have. Mine is paid for, not financed 30-40k. I put less than 5k and had my cousin help with some and rest I did alone. Why does it bother you if someone does pay for mods? They aren’t “real”, lol. Real or not, I did mine to save money. If I were wealthy, I’d have no problem paying and wouldn’t give a damn what people like you think. My foot’s on my peg with no doors, never met a female yet who didn’t like it.
Coachrhino11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:11 PM   #178
bkharmony

Drives: 2017 86GT
Quote:
I love the resurrected zombie threads.
bkharmony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bkharmony For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 08:31 PM   #179
TorontoNat

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Asphalt [Gray]
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The reality of the matter is that the majority of these cars are bought by people just using them as a car. Most of the people on this forum are the exception not the rule.

Nah still don't see it becoming a huge classic. Never really know until it hits though. Most of the cars that get the good money are ones that guys wanted but couldn't afford when they were young. These are affordable so not so hard to get. There will be the secondary group of guys that owned one back 20 years ago and want to be nostalgic but that is always a smaller market. As far as new drivers 30 years from now go they will probably have never even known these existed and be totally oblivious as to the merits.
The "collector" market is fickle at best and that makes predictions almost impossible.
You do make good points. I could just picture myself 30 years from now finding one of these and instabuying it regardless of the price. I guess time will tell.
TorontoNat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorontoNat For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 08:42 PM   #180
TorontoNat

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Asphalt [Gray]
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
No, no it won't. Not when it's nothing special. The Ts, maybe. but Release series?
TS or RS is subjective.. I don't want all that extra aero on it I find it useless. suspension might be nice but that's a dif story tho.

Quote:
I still don't get why some people talk about this car as if it was a porsche.
Because apparently it drives like one minus the fast.

Quote:
The FRS/GT86/BRZ will always be an economy sports coupe. that is all it will ever be no matter how fancy you dress it up.
Only time will tell. Meet back here on OCT.26.2045 and we can discuss outcomes with proof.
TorontoNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:52 PM   #181
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

Only time will tell. Meet back here on OCT.26.2045 and we can discuss outcomes with proof.
I will be long dead so please hold a seance and let me know.

Remember though I will want proof not just somebody saying "see I told you so".
TorontoNat (02-23-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 09:13 PM   #182
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Because apparently it drives like one minus the fast.

new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
TorontoNat (02-23-2018)