follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 06-07-2016, 07:16 PM   #1
Wacko

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy DRL LED Swap not working

Recently put the diode dynamics HID conversion kit in my 2016 FRS and loved the look, so i went back and got a set of LED DRL bulbs. I put them in yesterday, started the car and nothing. Swapped the stock halogen bulbs back in and still nothing. Both sets of bulbs (LED and Halogen) work as high beams so i know the bulbs are good.

I pulled the fuse from under the steering wheel and it didnt look blown, swapped it anyway and tested both pairs of bulbs and still nothing.

Other than the relay, can you guys think of anything else that would cause this issue?
Wacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:43 PM   #2
turtlefeeder

Drives: UltraMFrS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Check fuse in engine bay? Check wires too, if not borrow someone's car a check the bulb or if you happen to have the test machine mabobber

Last edited by turtlefeeder; 06-07-2016 at 11:03 PM.
turtlefeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:24 PM   #3
Joyride86

Drives: 15 FR-S Firestorm MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
After install, did you released the e-brake to see if the DRLs would come on?
Diode Dynamics Tail as Turn, LEDs, HIDs | Yospeed Custom Plaque and Frame | Suntek Carbon Tint | Spyder Smoked Side Markers | GrimmSpeed License Plate Relocator and Hood Struts | Five:AD Spoiler | JDM Armrest | Beat-Sonic Backup Cam | Moddiction Anvil 2 | Invidia N2 |
Joyride86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:02 PM   #4
Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride86 View Post
After install, did you released the e-brake to see if the DRLs would come on?
Yes i did, good thought i didnt immediately try that the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlefeeder View Post
Check fuse in engine bay? Check wires too, in not borrow someone's car a check the bulb or if you happen to have the test machine mabobber
Only thing in the engine bay for the DRL is the relay. Need to find a good relay to test
Old 06-09-2016, 09:24 AM   #5
Wacko

Still no luck, tried a new relay and when my girlfriend started the car i heard a pop from the relay. Not sure what is so different about these particular LED bulbs that is causing so much of an issue but i am still without DRL functionality. Not the worst issue to have, just turn my headlights on wherever i go currently.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:16 AM   #6
D5teph
Automotive Enthusiast

Drives: Zenki 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacko View Post
Still no luck, tried a new relay and when my girlfriend started the car i heard a pop from the relay. Not sure what is so different about these particular LED bulbs that is causing so much of an issue but i am still without DRL functionality. Not the worst issue to have, just turn my headlights on wherever i go currently.

Just a heads up, becareful with converting to LED's for the DRL's. Mine was working fine after a month until recently the bulb melted into the housing and fried the harness. I ended up replacing the whole passenger headlight assembly due to it. I don't know how it happened , but it might've been a defective LED I got.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:31 PM   #7
Joyride86

Drives: 15 FR-S Firestorm MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewstephh View Post
Just a heads up, becareful with converting to LED's for the DRL's. Mine was working fine after a month until recently the bulb melted into the housing and fried the harness. I ended up replacing the whole passenger headlight assembly due to it. I don't know how it happened , but it might've been a defective LED I got.
That sucks. I don't have that issue and I've had mine in for a while. I remember another member having the same issues with melting so it's not entirely unheard of. I'm assuming the manufacturer used a glue that couldn't handle the temperature.

OP, I wonder if something is causing the fuse to pop. I had a situation with LEDS before where the contacts on the board were slightly deformed causing the fuse to pop. I had to pull it out slightly so that the socket wasn't touching something it shouldn't.
Diode Dynamics Tail as Turn, LEDs, HIDs | Yospeed Custom Plaque and Frame | Suntek Carbon Tint | Spyder Smoked Side Markers | GrimmSpeed License Plate Relocator and Hood Struts | Five:AD Spoiler | JDM Armrest | Beat-Sonic Backup Cam | Moddiction Anvil 2 | Invidia N2 |
Joyride86 is offline   Reply With Quote