follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-10-2014, 05:45 PM   #43
Dipstik-sportech

Drives: 2013 BRZ satin white pearl sportech
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20kosh View Post
So he floated a valve and caused damage to his engine at 12 psi on pump gas running 300-330 wp? All these damaged motors is making me think this engine isn't as strong as people initially thought.
I mean if you float your valves on ANY interference engine you're gonna have a bad day, it's not indicative of a weak engine you just need to be mindful of the rpms that's all.
2013 SWP BRZ sportech. 11.11sec@129.01mph, 511whp on e70. FullBlown base kit, FullBlown built 9.5:1 engine, GTX3076R GEN2 turbo, 1700cc Bosch injectors, FullBlown flex fuel kit, FullBlown radiator and oil cooler, FullBlown custom 3" dual exit exhaust, act xtreme clutch, whiteline diff and subframe inserts, BC Racing coilovers, hotchkiss 18mm rear sway, is300 3.73 differential ... Never finished
Dipstik-sportech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:28 PM   #44
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipstik-sportech View Post
I mean if you float your valves on ANY interference engine you're gonna have a bad day, it's not indicative of a weak engine you just need to be mindful of the rpms that's all.
He wasn't even loading the engine up when it went bye bye.

A friend of mine just had a rocker fly out on a stock vehicle on track... followed by catastrophic damage.
sw20kosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sw20kosh For This Useful Post:
SmsAlSuwaidi (09-10-2014)
Old 09-10-2014, 07:17 PM   #45
FirestormFRS

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Element Tuning View Post
I know my dealer has seen broken valve springs and then broken valves which can spit the rocker out. I can see a case if using a factory valvetrain that you could float a vakve at 9k rpm and spit the rocker.

In my case the pin the roller rides on physically walked out. Our spring seat pressure really isn't very high in terms of a high performance engine so this isn't a case of too much of a good thing. Oiling was also good and no signs of galling or excessive heat.

Purely a case of a factory part fail in a high performance application. We'll address this on any new builds from here on regardless of this possibly being an isolated insident.

Thanks,
Phil Grabow
I've seen rockers get thrown at higher than factory rpm, not on this engine though. Could the rocker have been spit and the force knocked the pin out? That's not uncommon in over revved engines.
FirestormFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:21 PM   #46
Element Tuning

Drives: Hydra EMS Powered FRS Raven Black
Thanked 1,021 Times in 365 Posts
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestormFRS View Post
I've seen rockers get thrown at higher than factory rpm, not on this engine though. Could the rocker have been spit and the force knocked the pin out? That's not uncommon in over revved engines.
Not likely based on how the pin edge looks. I didn't give you guys a close up shot of that but it definitely walked out.

Now a property built motor and all these shortcomings dealt with is how to make it realiable. We have really worked hard to come up with a solution to the low oil pressure and now we'll have a solution for this "cheap" part. In something like our Pro Comp motor spitting a shim would not be common since appropriate valve springs and valve lash are used. The surprise is the component failure itself.

I just break stuff, it's what I do. You just don't always know the failure point of the parts until you break them and find out. There are no pointing fingers when your engine building, car building, ecu development, tuning, and race driver are all in house. You just get on with it an engineer it better ir you fess up to the mistake (as a driver I have taken a few motors out totally due to my mistakes). It is very frustrating and it does scare people but when we start winning championships and breaking track records people can at least feel confident in our motors. I share the failures and the accomplishments equally so people can see the effort and R&D that goes into what we do.
Element Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Element Tuning For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (12-29-2014), CSG Mike (09-22-2014), DustinS (09-22-2014), FirestormFRS (09-11-2014), gramicci101 (09-10-2014), M1K3 (09-11-2014), strat61caster (08-16-2015), Turdinator (09-10-2014), whataboutbob (12-30-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 01:19 PM   #47
Element Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmsAlSuwaidi View Post
Yup, funny that the car was barely on any load when it happened. The car is now being shipped overseas though and is getting a 2j or lsx. While the one that is still in the states I'm going to give the fa20 another shot
I bet under full load the valve shim dropped first and that gave enough room for the rocker to fall out without much load or RPM.

So far I'm lucky as we've accounted for all pieces except the roller which I suspect shot out the valve cover. We have the rocker, pin, and the valve shim luckily (none of those parts are beat up either).

From some of posts and PMs I've received the pins are failing so mine is not an isolated incident and it's even happening on totally stock cars (no engine or power mods).

We'll look at all my current rockers to see if there are signs of any others walking out. We have a race coming up next weekend so we will likely chance things and if all looks OK just drop a new rocker in for now. We don't have time to tear into things too deeply at this point.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:34 PM   #48
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20kosh View Post
So he floated a valve and caused damage to his engine at 12 psi on pump gas running 300-330 wp? All these damaged motors is making me think this engine isn't as strong as people initially thought.
The pistons seem pretty good unlike some of the other Subaru engines, but you are always going to find the weak points. I never expected it to be all that strong, companies don't overbuild engines now like they used to especially in $25K cars, and Subaru has never been known for stout engines.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:32 PM   #49
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwx View Post
The pistons seem pretty good unlike some of the other Subaru engines, but you are always going to find the weak points. I never expected it to be all that strong, companies don't overbuild engines now like they used to especially in $25K cars, and Subaru has never been known for stout engines.
Their sand-cast, full closed deck STi blocks of old were incredibly sturdy. Like you said though, they don't overbuild things anymore because it costs more money.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 06:10 PM   #50
Element Tuning

OMG I got lucky for once! Less than 4% leak down on all 4 cylinders. While that's higher than normal for our engines it's right in line with how we built this particular one (looser than normal).

There is some cam lobe damage from the roller likely getting stuck and a couple dings where the roller exited the valve cover. Not sure what I'll do to make this next race in terms of these cams. Clean up up or replace them.

The other rockers on this bank of cylinders looks OK meaning no obvious signs one if failing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Element Tuning For This Useful Post:
Calum (09-11-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 10:57 PM   #51
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
What will you guys do moving forward from here? Find a fix for the factory rocker or develop a replacement part?
Old 09-13-2014, 05:10 PM   #52
brn12345

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Check out my two posts on this thread on page 4. Could be useful.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...t=56181&page=4
Perrin Inlet Hose ~ TRD Panel Air Filter ~ OEM Modified Snorkel ~ Revolution 4-2-1 EL Header ~ HKS Resonated Front Pipe ~ BRZedit self tune ~ KW Clubsport Coilovers ~ AP Racing Big Brake 4 Piston ~ Whiteline Front Endlinks ~ Perrin Rear Endlinks ~ WedsSport TC105N 17x8 42+ ~Dunlop Direzza II Star Spec 225/45/17 ~ STI Trunk Lid Spoiler
brn12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:31 PM   #53
Element Tuning

Uh look at the manufacturing inconsistency here! These are the two new rockers I purchased to be modified and tested.

I can see why one could fail more easily than another given how the secure the ends without uniformity! It's a roll of the dice really!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Element Tuning For This Useful Post:
BatStig (09-15-2014), Calum (09-15-2014), DocWalt (09-23-2014), Nigelr32 (12-26-2014), smudge (12-04-2015)
Old 09-15-2014, 07:46 PM   #54
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
For the love of all that is holy, when you make a run of new billet rocker arms, sell a top end kit with rockers and springs. I know you guys mainly do in-house builds, but god damn that has me terrified.

Can the valve covers be pulled with the engine in the car? I'm seriously debating on pulling mine on the weekend to inspect.

Quote:
Uh look at the manufacturing inconsistency here! These are the two new rockers I purchased to be modified and tested.

I can see why one could fail more easily than another given how the secure the ends without uniformity! It's a roll of the dice really!
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:41 PM   #55
Element Tuning

Yeah these are horrible but the one that failed wasn't even as bad from what I remember. We will not be making new rockers as that's an engine part that really should be designed by a company that has been producing them for a long time. We have modified the oem rocker and will test that our modification remains reliable and doesn't cause any other issues.

Hopefully we can make the Trans Am and Whelen USTT race this weekend at Limerock. The engine is buttoned up already build not back in th car. I did mock up the dry sump/external oil pump mount today but I don't think we can finish that in time. I still have a few lingering gremlins from the fire (no ABS) that I want to fix.

We were able to pull the valve cover in the car so we knew what broke. We did not attempt to replace the rocker with the engine in the car and I honestly don't see it being possible/worth it. Somehow Steve replaced the rocker with the cams in but I don't know how he did it as he told me to leave him alone. LOL!
The Following User Says Thank You to Element Tuning For This Useful Post:
Calum (09-15-2014)
Old 09-15-2014, 09:34 PM   #56
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah these are horrible but the one that failed wasn't even as bad from what I remember. We will not be making new rockers as that's an engine part that really should be designed by a company that has been producing them for a long time. We have modified the oem rocker and will test that our modification remains reliable and doesn't cause any other issues.

Hopefully we can make the Trans Am and Whelen USTT race this weekend at Limerock. The engine is buttoned up already build not back in th car. I did mock up the dry sump/external oil pump mount today but I don't think we can finish that in time. I still have a few lingering gremlins from the fire (no ABS) that I want to fix.

We were able to pull the valve cover in the car so we knew what broke. We did not attempt to replace the rocker with the engine in the car and I honestly don't see it being possible/worth it. Somehow Steve replaced the rocker with the cams in but I don't know how he did it as he told me to leave him alone. LOL!
Loosen the lash adjustment, remove rocker arm. He'd need to adjust the lash with the new arms anyway. Wait, shims... WTF? Did he manage to compress the valves with the heads on? I know you've said you don't run much seat pressure, but damn.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote