follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #15
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyWithTheFireStorm View Post
Do you think it might be that you got used to the clutch after driving it so often?

Yes. After I made the above post I considered that. In the beginning I thought the light spring tension on the gas pedal made it more difficult than usual to co-ordinate my launches but your suggetion holds a lot of merit.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #16
Norkoastal
Never on Time Always Late

Drives: #silenced crickets
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
The combo of DBW, Denso DBW voltage settings, soft/high clutch engagement, and non mechanical clutch all lead to that "vague" feeling you describe.. Throttle controllers may help a bit but id say a custom tune + clutch pedal adjustment would minimize most of the wierdness.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #17
CircuitJerk
Pull my finger...

Drives: Silver Scion Slushbox
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
By nature, despite the response, there is a very small amount of movement before the controller actually moves the throttle plate at idle.
I've observed this during logging with the EcuTek software.
CircuitJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #18
pr086

Drives: fast
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norkoastal View Post
The combo of DBW, Denso DBW voltage settings, soft/high clutch engagement, and non mechanical clutch all lead to that "vague" feeling you describe.. Throttle controllers may help a bit but id say a custom tune + clutch pedal adjustment would minimize most of the wierdness.
Wait, we don't have an actual clutch in this car? What do you mean?
pr086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #19
Tim_Asphalt_FRS
Is it fast? No.

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Manual-Asphalt
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr086 View Post
I think he meant hydraulic instead of cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 (Rebadged) Toyota GT-86 {Perrin intake tube, aFe dry air filter, custom 2.5" exhaust, PLM overpipe, Kartboy crank pulley, Hotchkis springs, custom Flossy grip tape shorty, TRD shifter, Berk HFC, Whiteline Sway-bars}
[Wanted: Delicious Stg 2 tune, Bilstein struts]
Tim_Asphalt_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #20
Demandred7

Drives: 2018 Camry XSE V6
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Probably non-mechanical throttle linkage (ie. Throttle by wire).
Demandred7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #21
Norkoastal
Never on Time Always Late

Drives: #silenced crickets
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Asphalt_FRS View Post
I think he meant hydraulic instead of cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for clarifying that.. Hope the clutch adjustment helps..
Old 11-21-2012, 08:41 PM   #22
akyp

Drives: 2012 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Am I the only one who finds the throttle way too sensitive for normal driving? From a standstill I sometimes spin the wheels inadvertently, especially when taking a turn.
akyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:31 PM   #23
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norkoastal View Post
So todays new cars are stepping backwards? Awesome.
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:45 PM   #24
akuhei

Drives: Raven M/T FR-S
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Adding the Perrin Crank Pulley helped that out quite a bit for me (though I may have also gotten used to it a bit too). I noticed an immediate difference after I put it on, the engine feeling like it can rev up quicker. I am sure any of the crank pulley's out there would likely give the same thing.

Akuhei's Blog
"Inconceivable"
akuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #25
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akyp View Post
Am I the only one who finds the throttle way too sensitive for normal driving? From a standstill I sometimes spin the wheels inadvertently, especially when taking a turn.
I don't think it's a matter of the throttle being too sensitive but I do contribute a lot of the problem to several things. One, the throttle spring is so light that it's hard to tell if you're pressing on the gas pedal or not . Two, the car is so quiet, which I prefer. Three, my hearing is bad enough that it adds to the problem of not knowing whether I've pressed on the gas pedal or not.

If you're any thing like me you've driven a lot of manual transmissions in your life. What I've had to intentionally do these last several weeks is get out of my comfortable old habits and go back to basics in driving and work at it instead of doing it "marginally o.k. I've noticed a marked improvement. In fact I just got back from my evening drive and since I've made a concentrated effort I'm much happier with my performance. I'm thinking I just allowed myself to get a little too relaxed and sloppy.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whaap For This Useful Post:
Bristecom (11-25-2012), racecaresuaceb (11-22-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 11:06 PM   #26
akuhei

Drives: Raven M/T FR-S
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whaap View Post
I don't think it's a matter of the throttle being too sensitive but I do contribute a lot of the problem to several things. One, the throttle spring is so light that it's hard to tell if you're pressing on the gas pedal or not . Two, the car is so quiet, which I prefer. Three, my hearing is bad enough that it adds to the problem of not knowing whether I've pressed on the gas pedal or not.

If you're any thing like me you've driven a lot of manual transmissions in your life. What I've had to intentionally do these last several weeks is get out of my comfortable old habits and go back to basics in driving and work at it instead of doing it "marginally o.k. I've noticed a marked improvement. In fact I just got back from my evening drive and since I've made a concentrated effort I'm much happier with my performance. I'm thinking I just allowed myself to get a little too relaxed and sloppy.
I noticed these things you pointed out as well. And sometimes, I do get a little relaxed and sloppy. However, when focused/paying more attention, and in lighter shoes (back and forth to work I drive in military boots..x.x), after the pulley was installed, I did notice an improved response from the pedal after adding a pulley. Not just a feel thing, but watching the tach as well. I've taken it off and put it back on a couple times now with the same results, removing some of the sluggishness in the response. Maybe it is just me or maybe the pulley actually does some good. I tend to lean toward the later because a few of my friends riding around with me have also mentioned that they noticed a difference.

Akuhei's Blog
"Inconceivable"
akuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:16 AM   #27
racecaresuaceb

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ LTD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
That clutch take-up point is extremely irritating at times especially in a quick response situation where your muscle memory remembers a particular clutch takeup point and nothing happens in this till the last few mm.

I am giving myself time to adjust but someday I might just go ahead and change the take-up point.
@akyp: Do you think the reason you find the throttle too sensitive because you end up giving too much revs due to the odd clutch take-up point.
racecaresuaceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:42 AM   #28
oldpueblo

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 #853
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Just picked my car up last night and it seems like when i press the gas pedal it doesn't increase the revs right away. Like theres a little bit of travel in the pedal, then i start getting revs. This combined with the high clutch engagement is making starts kind of difficult snd ive been driving manual for years. It doesn't seem like i have percise enough control of the revs when starting from a stop. Does it stay like this or get better? I know there is a period where the ecu is learning, im at about 70 miles now.
You know about the don't go over 4000 RPM till you get past 1000 miles right? Just in case you missed it in the manual.
oldpueblo is offline   Reply With Quote