follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-29-2020, 01:06 AM   #1
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Oil cooler shroud.

Not too long ago I finally installed an oil cooler. I put it in September maybe? Right before the cooler months, bad timing on my part. Though with the thermostat oil temps hovered around 175*. Warm up times in the winter wasn't quite as bad as I had anticipated.

What I did not anticipate is my fuel trims going out of whack due to the radiant heat throwing the temp sensor off. So all the hours I spent dialing in my maf temp compensations no longer works. My LTFT went from +- 2% to about +-6% at lower loads and speeds. Not horrible, but bad enough for me to want to correct it. Before I spend another minute staring at another log or table, I'd want to see what I can do on the hardware end to minimize the effect of the oil coolers heat on the sensors.

My setup using various setrab and other parts pieced together with a central location behind the grill like most N/A setups. I suppose there is not too many ways to go about making a shroud, but I'd like to see what others have done. Materials used, size and shape of shroud panels and and mounting.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 01:25 AM   #2
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,064 Times in 773 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
How does heat from oil cooler effect the temp sensor built in in your maf sensor inside the airbox?
if the maf measure hotter air.. it means it s sucking hotter air.

if you are referring to the ambient temperature sensor, that doesn t have a role in fuel trims calculation
and you can place it anyway in front of the oil cooler if you want it to measure the ambient sensor right
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
solidONE (02-29-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 01:47 AM   #3
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
It sounds like you have a different problem. Even with intercoolers, oil cooler and a big turbo my fuel trims aren't effected via radient heat.

-But, if your looking for shrouds the only one that comes to mind is the Harrop setup. It has a metal ducting to a slanted cooler and then holes drilled behind it in the plastic skid plate to exhale below the vehicle. There also a thread in the FI section called combating the heat that delves into that topic.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiske For This Useful Post:
solidONE (02-29-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 06:15 AM   #4
solidONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
How does heat from oil cooler effect the temp sensor built in in your maf sensor inside the airbox?
if the maf measure hotter air.. it means it s sucking hotter air.

if you are referring to the ambient temperature sensor, that doesn t have a role in fuel trims calculation
and you can place it anyway in front of the oil cooler if you want it to measure the ambient sensor right
Pretty much this. The location of the air snorkel is just above and to one side of the oil cooler. Also the ambient temps read higher for the same reason, because of its proximity and lack of heat shielding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiske View Post
It sounds like you have a different problem. Even with intercoolers, oil cooler and a big turbo my fuel trims aren't effected via radient heat.

-But, if your looking for shrouds the only one that comes to mind is the Harrop setup. It has a metal ducting to a slanted cooler and then holes drilled behind it in the plastic skid plate to exhale below the vehicle. There also a thread in the FI section called combating the heat that delves into that topic.
Before adding the oil cooler I had purposely set the temp compensations to add a bit more fuel as intake temps rise above 100 degrees. As a 'safety'. Now, any time the car's idling for more than a few seconds the intake temps are already way above 100 degrees regardless of cold or cool ambient temps. At first I thought maybe I had an exhaust leak but couldn't find one, then I remember what I had done with the MAF IAT compensations.

For some reason I thought there are some fueling additive tables that are ambient temp based? Maybe I've mistaken. Regardless. I'd like to add some heat shielding for the intake and ambient temp sensor before I make any changes to these tables. The lower vent behind the cooler sounds interesting. So the cooler core has the top tilted rearward? Can you link the thread? Gracias!

Last edited by solidONE; 02-29-2020 at 06:32 AM.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:23 AM   #5
tomm.brz

ambient sensor has no influence on airflow calculation, only the intake air temp sensor
Old 02-29-2020, 06:40 AM   #6
solidONE

Quote:
ambient sensor has no influence on airflow calculation, only the intake air temp sensor
I'm in RomRaider now looking for this table that I thought existed.. It's been a while. Current tune's been solid for 3 years until I added the oil cooler. No drivability and performance issues. I just dont like seeing LTFT above 2%. lol

Old 02-29-2020, 07:01 AM   #7
tomm.brz

then put 14.7 in closed loop and you ll have 0% all the time lol
There is a table anyway for airflow compensation, but it looks at intake air temp
Old 02-29-2020, 07:19 AM   #8
solidONE

Quote:
then put 14.7 in closed loop and you ll have 0% all the time lol
There is a table anyway for airflow compensation, but it looks at intake air temp
haha.. You know what I mean. I've spent way too much time on the Intake air temp compensation table to have it work perfect until now. I suppose if I have it down so good I'd only have to adjust the rows above 100* and lower airflow values. Sound like you are talking about this table?

Old 02-29-2020, 07:42 AM   #9
tomm.brz

i don remember the name in romraider as i use mostly ecutek, anyway i don t tweak it much because i trust STFT and CL fuel correction in ecutek to fix my afr, after a good maf scaling.. and i disable LTFT totally
Old 02-29-2020, 12:05 PM   #10
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
I'm in RomRaider now looking for this table that I thought existed.. It's been a while. Current tune's been solid for 3 years until I added the oil cooler. No drivability and performance issues. I just dont like seeing LTFT above 2%. lol
Damn lol. I am good as long as it's +/-3%. I don't have any drive ability issues and my IAM stays at 1. Seems to hiccup a bit if it is any more then that down low and it has to be pretty far off before IAM is effected.

That being said. I am working on building a duct for my oil cooler, but mostly to get better airflow to the front side. I have a bunch of thin gauge stainless out of the scrap bin at work. Will be tig'ing it all together hopefully this weekend.
Old 02-29-2020, 02:08 PM   #11
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
So the cooler core has the top tilted rearward? Can you link the thread? Gracias!

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53580

https://www.harrop.com.au/shop/syste...ngineOilCooler[low].pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiske For This Useful Post:
solidONE (02-29-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 02:21 PM   #12
solidONE

Quote:
i don remember the name in romraider as i use mostly ecutek, anyway i don t tweak it much because i trust STFT and CL fuel correction in ecutek to fix my afr, after a good maf scaling.. and i disable LTFT totally
The 2017 + has a nicer closed loop fueling even under WOT, I remember reading. I'm sure the computer responds quickly to trim fuel, but even better if your sensor and compensations scaling is on point where there is not much fuel trimming for the computer to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Damn lol. I am good as long as it's +/-3%. I don't have any drive ability issues and my IAM stays at 1. Seems to hiccup a bit if it is any more then that down low and it has to be pretty far off before IAM is effected.

That being said. I am working on building a duct for my oil cooler, but mostly to get better airflow to the front side. I have a bunch of thin gauge stainless out of the scrap bin at work. Will be tig'ing it all together hopefully this weekend.
By 2% I mean 2.34%, so that not too far from 3%. To set the IAT comp tables I had scaled my MAF sensor with only data recorded between 64 and 72 degrees IAT initially so its accurate for the 68IAT row to be set at 0 trim. This is the first step. You dont wanna know how many hours of logs of deliberately manipulating the throttle and looking at IAT while driving just this initial step took. lol Way overkill, I'm sure.

Is your oil cooler not effective enough or you're just looking to improve it?

Old 02-29-2020, 02:27 PM   #13
tomm.brz

Quote:
The 2017 + has a nicer closed loop fueling even under WOT, I remember reading. I'm sure the computer responds quickly to trim fuel, but even better if your sensor and compensations scaling is on point where there is not much fuel trimming for the computer to do.
No i do not use the CL of newer roms, i use older logic rom and CL proprietary of ecutek, much more efficient and customizable
my corrections stay always around +-1%, or even less most of the time
And during the normal closed loop, i disable LTFT, but if I enable it, i usually have it around +-1%

Ecutek is so much superior in everything, and it logs at 5x the speed of tactrix/OFT

I have 789 reflashes on my Ecu, so i know what you go through don t worry... if I had to go back to open source I would sell the car instead of going through the frustration lol
The Following User Says Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
solidONE (02-29-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 02:42 PM   #14
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Is your oil cooler not effective enough or you're just looking to improve it?
It's mounted to the under tray and the lip on the bumper cover is blocking a good 1/3 of it. I am getting much higher temps then most people are reporting with a cooler. Going to move it up to the crash bar and build a duct to help funnel more air into it. I don't like it on the under tray anyway as I am afraid an off track will damage it or tear it off.