follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #15
luxmn
First FR-S

Drives: Whiteout MT FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotaku91x View Post
How about getting the OEM GT86 headlights?
2100 straight cash. I want them but not as much as a nice set of wheels
luxmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:08 AM   #16
AshWilliams
Groovy

Drives: GMC Sierra
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
TuRD parts are ridiculously esspensive and don't add much (or any performance).

The car is perfect off of the lot for 99% of the owners out there. Diffusers, spoilers, lips and valances, shift knobs, "performance" brake kits, cold air induction, door stabilizers, are a total waste of money. They look cool to some people, but that's about as useful as they are.

If you want to take it on a track day, wider tires will be better. If you are more serious, firm up the suspension and prepare for a crappy ride around town. Notice I said firmer, not lower. Lowering a car can screw up the handling just as much as giving it a suspension lift. Adjustable suspensions are cool, but most people don't know how to do it right.

Tires and suspension will improve lap times more than anything else you can do for a car like this. Lap times, though, those mods can make your morning commute sheer hell over the OEM tires and suspension.

If you are more serious, an anti-fade brake kit (or just anti-fade pads) is the next step... this doesn't cost 12 grand, like the TuRD kit. But a complete system that can handle a few hours of racing will be a few grand depending on what your needs are.

I plan on getting this car bone stock and driving it as such. I won't even replace the JDM Prius tires.
Dadhawk (05-26-2012), Gannicus77 (02-23-2013)
Old 05-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #17
Kotaku91x

Drives: Getting Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshWilliams View Post
TuRD parts are ridiculously esspensive and don't add much (or any performance).

The car is perfect off of the lot for 99% of the owners out there. Diffusers, spoilers, lips and valances, shift knobs, "performance" brake kits, cold air induction, door stabilizers, are a total waste of money. They look cool to some people, but that's about as useful as they are.

If you want to take it on a track day, wider tires will be better. If you are more serious, firm up the suspension and prepare for a crappy ride around town. Notice I said firmer, not lower. Lowering a car can screw up the handling just as much as giving it a suspension lift. Adjustable suspensions are cool, but most people don't know how to do it right.

Tires and suspension will improve lap times more than anything else you can do for a car like this. Lap times, though, those mods can make your morning commute sheer hell over the OEM tires and suspension.

If you are more serious, an anti-fade brake kit (or just anti-fade pads) is the next step... this doesn't cost 12 grand, like the TuRD kit. But a complete system that can handle a few hours of racing will be a few grand depending on what your needs are.

I plan on getting this car bone stock and driving it as such. I won't even replace the JDM Prius tires.
I see what your saying that makes sense, thank you
Old 05-26-2012, 12:40 PM   #18
Kotaku91x

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxmn View Post
2100 straight cash. I want them but not as much as a nice set of wheels
Wow!! Holy *&^%! that's expensive for headlights...that being said do you know where to get them?
Old 05-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #19
86_ZN6

Drives: 86 ZN6
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,222 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotaku91x View Post
Wow!! Holy *&^%! that's expensive for headlights...that being said do you know where to get them?

carson toyota
86_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #20
Moto-P

Drives: Many types of cars in R&D.
Thanked 3,058 Times in 568 Posts
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I think one needs to be MUCH more patient.

It's a driver's car, and to own such car to fully enjoy it, one needs to take it out on many spirited drives, and even competitions on local levels as much as one can afford to do. And there, find your own limits, learn to extend them, and actually see the shortcoming of both driver and the car, and seek proper knowlege, experience, and talents to find what needs to be tailored to your own tastes, goals, and skills.

Throwing a bunch of dedicated parts to make it fit or match a certain category of tune, is not always something rewarding or meaningful to the owner who does most of the driving in his own car?

You should enjoy it step by step, and learn it and become much more able as a driver. As ultimately it is the owner/driver that will do the driving and develop the capability to actually tailor it to a finer goal.

The FT86 base car is a white canvas, and the designers went through a great deal of planning and design to accommodate custom tailoring. There are various wire-harness paths to where owners can fit custom gauge leads in the chassis. The main body structure is made from the same expensive high tensile steel used on Lexus cars to assure long term solidity, dynamic rigidity, and shaped in such ways to accommodate additional safety devices. The arms and joints where one can replace easier than the main body, are made with designs and thoughts to allow for easy re-fitting, and even the arms on the suspension are designed to allow truer dynamic alignment at different ride heights with use of longer key arms and wider angle pivots. Bumpers and body panels are designed to be easily removed for upgrades and service as a user-maintained car.

There are much more thought to that went into the car than most previous sports car in this respect, and as such, we need to understand this, and make use of this to get the most out of the FRS/BRZ/86.
Consulting Member at Cusco, OEM+, RS-R.
www.club4ag.com
Moto-P is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Moto-P For This Useful Post:
blanco (03-22-2013), Dadhawk (05-27-2012), Exhaust (05-26-2012), idreamofdrifting (02-22-2013), luxmn (05-26-2012), Metabrz (05-27-2012), russv (05-29-2012), Sonolin (02-22-2013), tbwoodlee (02-23-2013), WingsofWar (05-26-2012), Zaku (02-22-2013)
Old 05-26-2012, 03:30 PM   #21
luxmn
First FR-S

Drives: Whiteout MT FRS
True that Moto-san I have 2 weeks of manual driving experience on my frs and I have yet able to tame this 200 horse beast and make it do what I want it to do let alone pushing it to its limit. I find even the cool radio head unit distracts me from the driving. Having all the gt86 luxury would distract me even more since ill be worrying sick about keeping the car in perfect showroom condition all the time. This car looks better everytime I look at it but it's at its best when I'm inside driving.
luxmn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to luxmn For This Useful Post:
Moto-P (05-27-2012)
Old 05-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #22
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Kotaku, read what Moto-P said, and take it to heart.

Even if you should decide you want to modify your FR-S to be like a true Toyota 86, it will be cost prohibitive for a while I think. Perhaps if TRD USA starts offering the TRD Japan parts here, they will cost less. Right now the only way to get them is to import them (Unless Carson Toyota has some special "in"), and the high cost to import paired with the poor dollar to yen exchange rate is making these parts seem ludicrously expensive right now. I for one would hold off for a year, enjoy the car in stock form and choose modifications wisely once the aftermarket has a chance to develop and test more parts. That should lower the price of the TRD parts to keep competitive with the aftermarket.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Turbowned For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (05-27-2012), Exhaust (05-26-2012), idreamofdrifting (02-22-2013), Moto-P (05-27-2012)
Old 05-26-2012, 11:43 PM   #23
Kotaku91x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
Kotaku, read what Moto-P said, and take it to heart.

Even if you should decide you want to modify your FR-S to be like a true Toyota 86, it will be cost prohibitive for a while I think. Perhaps if TRD USA starts offering the TRD Japan parts here, they will cost less. Right now the only way to get them is to import them (Unless Carson Toyota has some special "in"), and the high cost to import paired with the poor dollar to yen exchange rate is making these parts seem ludicrously expensive right now. I for one would hold off for a year, enjoy the car in stock form and choose modifications wisely once the aftermarket has a chance to develop and test more parts. That should lower the price of the TRD parts to keep competitive with the aftermarket.
I will definitely take that to heart. Everything mentioned totally changed my view....haha im still changing those headlights though.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:03 AM   #24
Kotaku91x

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-P View Post
I think one needs to be MUCH more patient.

It's a driver's car, and to own such car to fully enjoy it, one needs to take it out on many spirited drives, and even competitions on local levels as much as one can afford to do. And there, find your own limits, learn to extend them, and actually see the shortcoming of both driver and the car, and seek proper knowlege, experience, and talents to find what needs to be tailored to your own tastes, goals, and skills.

Throwing a bunch of dedicated parts to make it fit or match a certain category of tune, is not always something rewarding or meaningful to the owner who does most of the driving in his own car?

You should enjoy it step by step, and learn it and become much more able as a driver. As ultimately it is the owner/driver that will do the driving and develop the capability to actually tailor it to a finer goal.

The FT86 base car is a white canvas, and the designers went through a great deal of planning and design to accommodate custom tailoring. There are various wire-harness paths to where owners can fit custom gauge leads in the chassis. The main body structure is made from the same expensive high tensile steel used on Lexus cars to assure long term solidity, dynamic rigidity, and shaped in such ways to accommodate additional safety devices. The arms and joints where one can replace easier than the main body, are made with designs and thoughts to allow for easy re-fitting, and even the arms on the suspension are designed to allow truer dynamic alignment at different ride heights with use of longer key arms and wider angle pivots. Bumpers and body panels are designed to be easily removed for upgrades and service as a user-maintained car.

There are much more thought to that went into the car than most previous sports car in this respect, and as such, we need to understand this, and make use of this to get the most out of the FRS/BRZ/86.
I want to thank you for your input, it seems I was being to hasty with my decison and not thinking about the true spirit of this car and my own intenions of owning a car I put love and effort into making it my own. Also removing the fun of tuning a car. You and everyone who posted here saved me from making a dumb decision in the future. Thanks
Old 05-27-2012, 12:45 AM   #25
dori.
Seņor Member

Drives: white BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I'm sure somebody will make a knockoff TRD kit down the line. I don't really care for knockoff stuff but when the real deal costs the same as the car itself you have to draw the line
dori. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:14 AM   #26
Revird

Drives: 3S
The only benefit TRD parts carry over other aftermarket is that they won't void your factory warranty. A lot of people dog on TRD on being too expensive compared to others relative to their performance gains, but TRD goes through significant r&d to build parts that ensure the reliability of your vehicle...besides their "off road use only" items.

That being said, I like TRD parts. However it is very true that to go that route exclusively when modifying your frs will result in a hefty ticket said and done.
Revird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #27
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshWilliams View Post
If you want to take it on a track day, wider tires will be better.
I'd recommend going with a different tire rather than automatically going with a wider one. If it's for the purpose of track days, for people who want to get into competitions, I think that some classes also depend on modifications and sometimes even tire sizes (though if I'm wrong, feel free to correct me). So a lot of people who don't think about their mods all the way through will inadvertently move themselves into a different driver class if they ever decide to compete. Just something to keep in mind.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #28
idreamofdrifting

Drives: YUZU FR-S RS 1.0 & AE86 Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dori. View Post
I'm sure somebody will make a knockoff TRD kit down the line. I don't really care for knockoff stuff but when the real deal costs the same as the car itself you have to draw the line
+1 indeed!
"...the expression of the love in my eyes for my new RS 1.0 is the exact parallel opposite of bitterness, and hate of all the other FR-S owners that want one but won't admit that they do. " ~idreamofdrifting~
"...the main reason people swap (from Scion to Toyota badges) IMO, is because they're embarrassed at the Scion stigma they themselves are perpetuating..." ~Sho220~

idreamofdrifting is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converting, modifying, parts, trd 86