follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-22-2018, 11:59 AM   #1
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Suspension upgrades to improve ride

Having fitted the Whiteline rear subframe bushings and being surprised at the slight unexpected improvement over bumps and potholes, I am now wondering what other suspension doodads I can install to address the "crashiness" of the suspension and the general flex and rattle of the whole structure. Things I have installed so far in regards to suspension are coilovers (Meisterr Zeta CRD), diff, trans, and the aforementioned subframe bushings. I am not looking for handling improvements or cornering grip or anything like that. Just don't want the car to sound like a dishwasher tumbling down a set of stairs when I go over a series of bumps (exaggerating for dramatic effect, of course). Yes, I have toyed with tire pressures (to positive effect, might I add), and while I do have 18" wheels and realize their negative contribution to ride quality, I'll be keeping them cause I like the looks. I scoured through FT86speedfactory's suspension section and see so many things and have no idea what half of them are for. So what do you know, or have done, that yielded an improvement to structural integrity (pretty sure that's a construction term) and ride pliancy/comfort? Thanks!
Bonburner (10-23-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 12:06 PM   #2
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 1,817 Times in 728 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Sound deadening. Damplifier and Luxury Liner Pro in my case. When I drove 100 miles to TireRack with my rear seat folded down, it made me realize how much louder my exhaust was with the seats down. I actually had a headache by the end of the trip. By comparison, with the rear bench up (which has a sheet of Luxury Liner sandwiched between it and the carpeting that lines it), the exhaust noise almost disappears.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.

Last edited by Stang70Fastback; 10-22-2018 at 01:26 PM.
Stang70Fastback is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 12:37 PM   #3
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
Sound deadening. Damplifier and Luxury Liner Pro in my case. When I drove 100 miles to TireRack with my rear seat folded down, it made me realize how much louder my exhaust was with the seats down. I actually had a headache by the end of the trip. By comparison, with the seats up (which also have a sheet of Luxury Liner sandwiched between the back of the seats and the carpeting that lines them, the exhaust noise almost disappears.
Good suggestion. My trunk is completely bare so the noise level coming from the back is significant.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:27 PM   #4
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
Good suggestion. My trunk is completely bare so the noise level coming from the back is significant.
Yeah. The trunk has a lot of noise in general. A lot of people deaden the whole trunk area, but I decided to cheat by just deadening from the rear bench forward, including the rear deck. Unless you're riding with the rear seats folded, that's all you need to do, really.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
Old 10-22-2018, 01:30 PM   #5
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
Yeah. The trunk has a lot of noise in general. A lot of people deaden the whole trunk area, but I decided to cheat by just deadening from the rear bench forward, including the rear deck. Unless you're riding with the rear seats folded, that's all you need to do, really.
I'm planning to do the Shrader rear seat delete, which now comes with sound insulation as standard. Should I bother doing the trunk or wait until then?
Old 10-22-2018, 02:10 PM   #6
JIM THEO

Drives: BRZ 2018
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Having fitted the Whiteline rear subframe bushings and being surprised at the slight unexpected improvement over bumps and potholes, I am now wondering what other suspension doodads I can install to address the "crashiness" of the suspension and the general flex and rattle of the whole structure. Things I have installed so far in regards to suspension are coilovers (Meisterr Zeta CRD), diff, trans, and the aforementioned subframe bushings. I am not looking for handling improvements or cornering grip or anything like that. Just don't want the car to sound like a dishwasher tumbling down a set of stairs when I go over a series of bumps (exaggerating for dramatic effect, of course). Yes, I have toyed with tire pressures (to positive effect, might I add), and while I do have 18" wheels and realize their negative contribution to ride quality, I'll be keeping them cause I like the looks. I scoured through FT86speedfactory's suspension section and see so many things and have no idea what half of them are for. So what do you know, or have done, that yielded an improvement to structural integrity (pretty sure that's a construction term) and ride pliancy/comfort? Thanks!
You saw NVH improvement with the Whiteline rear subframe bushings?
Improvement in ride quality, did I read wrong?
JIM THEO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:22 PM   #7
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM THEO View Post
Yeah, this confused me as well. That stuff usually makes NVH WORSE. It's one of the reasons they aren't OEM equipment!

Old 10-22-2018, 02:33 PM   #8
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Quote:
Improvement in ride quality, did I read wrong?
Yes it was a bit of a trade off. What I gained in vibration and noise, I lost in clunking and clattering over bumps. My theory is that since there is quite a bit of play without the bushings, the contact between components is what gives that clunking effect. With the bushing in place, everything is nice and tight, so nothing is hitting against other things
Old 10-22-2018, 02:55 PM   #9
JIM THEO

Drives: BRZ 2018
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes it was a bit of a trade off. What I gained in vibration and noise, I lost in clunking and clattering over bumps. My theory is that since there is quite a bit of play without the bushings, the contact between components is what gives that clunking effect. With the bushing in place, everything is nice and tight, so nothing is hitting against other things
Probably due to your suspension upgrade the factory bushings give more clunk and clatter, I doubt except the STI bushings for BRZ/FRS there are aftermarket bushings closest to OEM ride quality!
JIM THEO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:46 PM   #10
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Quote:
Probably due to your suspension upgrade the factory bushings give more clunk and clatter, I doubt except the STI bushings for BRZ/FRS there are aftermarket bushings closest to OEM ride quality!
entirely plausible, definitely makes sense. So now I'm wondering what else I can install that'll continue the trend.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:57 PM   #11
norcalpb

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limted
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Can you fit oem top hats in the rear?
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:41 PM   #12
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
Can you fit oem top hats in the rear?
Never crossed my mind. What would be the benefit?
Old 10-22-2018, 11:43 PM   #13
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Quote:
Never crossed my mind. What would be the benefit?
OEM top hats have rubber to help isolate NVH. If your coilovers came with aftermarket top hats, they're probably just solid mounts and transfer a lot of NVH to the body.

Last edited by Stang70Fastback; 10-23-2018 at 07:53 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
StraightOuttaCanadaEh (10-23-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 11:13 AM   #14
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
How many miles are on your car? None of those bushings should've improved ride quality from a comfort standpoint. All those stiffer bushings should increase NVH and harshness of the ride. I'd be more likely to bet that the "crashiness" you were experiencing is due to worn out OEM bushings. The coilovers are likely the largest contributor to a rougher ride, and as you noted the 18" wheels with lower profile tires will play a role as well. In order to increase ride quality you'd need to undue a lot of what you've done, which it doesn't sound like you want to do.
Stang70Fastback (10-23-2018), strat61caster (10-23-2018)