follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 06-22-2012, 12:53 AM   #1
Matt Andrews

Drives: race cars
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
fitting 17x9's with 255s, and fitting brake pads

So I thought it would be relevant to post here, but I had a trip to 949 racing. we played with wheels, tires, spacers, and different pads to collect a good amt of data. I posted it in my blog. I know that is a "user build", but figured a good amt of it would be useful here.

Check it out if you want. its in my signature.

Matt

11/19/12 - Just back from Redline TimeAttack's demo event. Video and write up in link below.
http://fecompetition.wordpress.com/
https://www.facebook.com/FECompetition
Matt Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matt Andrews For This Useful Post:
Fly Guy (06-22-2012), RiskyTrousers (06-22-2012)
Old 06-22-2012, 01:08 AM   #2
jamal

Drives: Legacy GT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
There are a number of parts to get rear camber adjustment. Cusco lower arms or whiteline offset bushings in the a-arm. The lower arms for sure fit and cusco has them on their own car. The offset bushings aren't confirmed to fit but the part number is KCA326. That reminds me that I need to send you an email.

Whiteline was working on a full upper a-arm replacement for the Impreza but I'm not sure it ever happened.

Toe link should have a cammed bolt at the subframe.

The rear end starts at about -1 degrees and then cambers in under compression by a good amount so there isn't as much need for adjustment there.
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:58 AM   #3
RiskyTrousers

Drives: '87 Corolla GTS, '13 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Thanks for the post!

Looking at how the tire fit with a +42, do you think a +35 is possible? We will be running camber but we're not sure what is optimal until we get out on the course and take tire temps.
RiskyTrousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
Matt Andrews

there isn't 7mm of space there right now. And that is static. on course, you will have wheel and tire deflection you need to allow for. I haven't measured the spring diameter, and don't know what you are considering for aftermarket springs.

But you will rub at full lock in both directions with a +32.

11/19/12 - Just back from Redline TimeAttack's demo event. Video and write up in link below.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
RiskyTrousers

Drives: '87 Corolla GTS, '13 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I plan on running either KW Clubsports or V3s so I don't imagine spring perch clearance being an issue.

However, I don't want to be "forced" into a certain amount of camber just to clear the fenders, although I'm sure I will be running some camber. Thats why I'm worried about fender clearance.
RiskyTrousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
Matt Andrews

a +32 would clear the fender at stock camber. Which if you are performance oriented at all, you will want more.

You will likely rub at full lock if you are running a 255, but i don't see that being a significant issue. As long as the KW gives you the additional clearance of the spring, you should be good to go. Good luck!

Old 06-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #7
R/TErnie
Boost Junkie

Drives: Evo 9, 98 Neon R/T
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Evo's have a very similar rear lateral link...where the shock puts the link in Bending.

Be careful with buying a lateral link that has a turnbuckle on it, they're prone to bending right where the threaded section enters the link. The drag race guys don't have a problem, but the guys with 285 Hoosiers do.

I've designed and fabricated a new rear lateral link for the Evo that doesn't bend and then change geometry like the Agency power/Megan/Taiwanese copies.

anyone want to post a link to said JDM adjusters for rear camber?
Matt Andrews (06-26-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
bneale

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Interesting thread you guys have going.

I was just looking into this myself actually. I'm about to start Autocrossing my FR-S and I've been looking into a new set of wheels and tires for track duty. I've been looking into Enkei's RFP1's in 17x9 in size with a 245 tire. But I'm a little concerned they may not fit on the stock suspension. I plan on upgrading the suspension in the future but for now I'm starting out stock.

Any idea if you guys have seen an FR-S with 17x9 wheels? Hopefully with RFP1's and the stock suspension? I'm really worried they won't fit or rub.

bneale
Old 06-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #9
JP
Backyard Fabricator

Drives: JZX83, SF5 GT, ZZE82 turbo
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by R/TErnie View Post
Evo's have a very similar rear lateral link...where the shock puts the link in Bending.

Be careful with buying a lateral link that has a turnbuckle on it, they're prone to bending right where the threaded section enters the link. The drag race guys don't have a problem, but the guys with 285 Hoosiers do.

I've designed and fabricated a new rear lateral link for the Evo that doesn't bend and then change geometry like the Agency power/Megan/Taiwanese copies.

anyone want to post a link to said JDM adjusters for rear camber?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cusco-Rea...item2c664a15db
JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #10
jamal

Drives: Legacy GT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
There are two ways to adjust rear camber. One is the cusco lower control arms, which are like $450. While expensive, they are also a good part that is easy to adjust and I wouldn't worry about failing. They have been around for awhile and used on much heavier STis that see competition use on tracks and in rally.

The other option is the Whiteline bushings for the upper a-arm. They are cheaper, but kind of a hassle to install, because you basically need a press and an air-hammer to get the stock ones out. There is also very little room up in there to get the arm in and out and the adjusters set up properly. Anyone attempting to install these on their own will get very frustrated (I have installed many sets and it is one of my least favorite suspension related jobs).
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #11
Matt Andrews

thanks for the heads up. a fix is on the list. dampers are being constructed, and wheels are in the mail.