follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 03-28-2014, 12:48 PM   #29
brichard0625

Drives: 2013 Scion Frs(Scarlet)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

so i found a little calculator and used my highest 93 pump gas that i get now and the highest i got for e85. i called the gas stations around me and e85 is 3.65-3.69. one station said theres a shortage so thats why the price is high but it should go down when its gets a little warmer. lets hope hes right but according to the calculator its not that bad when comparing. if flexfuel nets me higher mpg then e85 will be a better choice. sorry if im typing all over the place, im at work and trying to get my point across fast so i can finish up.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:41 PM   #30
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86viper View Post
In the short term perhaps say 5 years, but In 10 years there won't be a choice. Petrol/Gasoline will be so expensive that the only alternatives will be biofuels or electric.

Once production of biofuels is at a level it should have been years ago the prices will stop going up quickly rising only with inlfation, while petrol/gasoline will rise fast.
The "experts" were saying the same thing 5-10 years ago, post-9/11 when gas and oil prices shot up because the speculation market went crazy and Big Oil took advantage. All I am saying is that speculating is only a guess. Nobody knows what the market is going to do in the future.

Now don't get me wrong, biofuels, fuel cells/electric are definitely where we are headed if we want to keep our lifestyle sustained at the level it is. But, lets face it, gas is still plentiful and the most recent estimates I've seen say that oil, thanks to new technologies that can drill and recover from places that were not originally available to mine, won't be at a scarcity well into this century, even with the possibility of extending supplies through 2100. But, like I said, we don't know where things will end up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:56 PM   #31
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo4g63 View Post
E85 down here in Phoenix is $2.99/gal and has been for some time. Some weeks it goes down to $2.89/gal

Out shitty piss water CA 91 pump fuel is $3.68-$3.89/gal. It's a no brainier for us down here. Another factor is I do not trust the shitty grade 91 pump fuel we get. It's way to in-consistent.
QT pump gas is consistent, actually.

I WILL go flex-fuel eventually. When winter hits, e85 is no longer as economical, but for the summer and the massive watering down our gas gets plus the higher price for it, e85 just makes sense even if just good financial sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
The "experts" were saying the same thing 5-10 years ago, post-9/11 when gas and oil prices shot up because the speculation market went crazy and Big Oil took advantage. All I am saying is that speculating is only a guess. Nobody knows what the market is going to do in the future.

Now don't get me wrong, biofuels, fuel cells/electric are definitely where we are headed if we want to keep our lifestyle sustained at the level it is. But, lets face it, gas is still plentiful and the most recent estimates I've seen say that oil, thanks to new technologies that can drill and recover from places that were not originally available to mine, won't be at a scarcity well into this century, even with the possibility of extending supplies through 2100. But, like I said, we don't know where things will end up.
Not to mention that the oil shortage "crisis" is 100% manufactured. The United States, not the Arab Penninsula, has the largest and most plentiful oil and natural gas reserves in the world. We are so far away from an actual shortage that it's laughable. If there's any actual shortage it's b/c of a the bottlenecking due to lack of refineries... something that you can partially lay the blame for at the feet of the eco-freaks.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SirBrass For This Useful Post:
HunterGreene (03-28-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 02:46 PM   #32
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
The crisis is just a way to drive prices up, and they have us all by the balls. As cars get more efficient they drive the price up higher so they're still making as much (or more) money.

As for prices, I pay about $1.45/L for premium here, I would LOVE US gas prices! $1.45/L is about $5.49 CDN per gallon, or about $4.96 USD per gallon.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:17 AM   #33
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
The crisis is just a way to drive prices up, and they have us all by the balls. As cars get more efficient they drive the price up higher so they're still making as much (or more) money.

As for prices, I pay about $1.45/L for premium here, I would LOVE US gas prices! $1.45/L is about $5.49 CDN per gallon, or about $4.96 USD per gallon.

You USA/Canada guys don't know how good you have it

Oz E85 A$1.35 L times 3.8L/G = A$5.13 US Gal * 0.9 exchange = USD$4.61 US Gal

Oz 98/100 RON = A$1.65 L
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
wparsons (03-29-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 08:17 AM   #34
StormTrooper

Drives: Pavement MT GR86
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I don't see petroleum going away any time soon, but government is hard to predict.

Don't even have an e85 station in my town (60k pop) 45 miles to the nearest one.

Wish we had 95 or 100 Oct instead of 91 or e85.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:41 AM   #35
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
lol I get less than 25 on 93, i guess i better put my foot on a diet...
ZionsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:26 AM   #36
Superhatch
AIM4APX

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
The article mentioned multiple times the issue was "rail logistics" or "rail slowdowns" but didn't really get into detail what that issue really was about. I'd like to hear more on that because it seems like it might be due to all the rails being used for frac sand. I work for a company that does a lot of work with frac companies here in WI and they occupy a LOT of train cars daily, all cars that were used for something else prior to the frac boom. The increased traffic could be the reason we are seeing slower grain pickup. Just an idea.

Also, Ethanol is really expensive when you start to factor in all the subsidies that growers and producers get. "But those all expired!" you might say..

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-dru...-little-better

Quote:
Here is Aaron Smith, writing a couple of days ago for the conservative American Enterprise Institute:

Deficit hawks, environmentalists, and food processors are celebrating the expiration of the ethanol tax credit. This corporate handout gave $0.45 to ethanol producers for every gallon they produced and cost taxpayers $6 billion in 2011. So why did the powerful corn ethanol lobby let it expire without an apparent fight? The answer lies in legislation known as the Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS), which creates government-guaranteed demand that keeps corn prices high and generates massive farm profits. Removing the tax credit but keeping the RFS is like scraping a little frosting from the ethanol-boondoggle cake.

The RFS mandates that at least 37 percent of the 2011-12 corn crop be converted to ethanol and blended with the gasoline that powers our cars…[As a result] the current price of corn on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange is about $6.50 per bushel—almost triple the pre-mandate level.
Now this article, along with others (see below) really shows the big issue with turning corn into fuel. It's pretty expensive, it's really labor intensive, and most of the actual cost is hidden in your taxes. I love E85 for power, but it's not the future. For the -actual- cost, it's a terrible fuel when viewed from either a national or personal economic standpoint. If taxpayers are smart they would end these subsidies, start growing food, and concentrate on other fuels with better ROEI levels.

http://www.taxpayer.net/library/arti...alive-and-well
http://www.usnews.com/opinion/econom...anol-subsidies
http://theweek.com/article/index/247...nol-subsidiesb

Side note:It's not small farms that are reaping in all the profits. It large AG Business that owns and harvests most of the corn fields in the country. Cargill, ADM, Monsanto etc are getting the majority of your tax money to grow corn to turn into fuel. They then also run the ethanol producing companies which also get your tax money (my company does work for them too)! Yay!

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_farming"]Corporate farming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
HunterGreene (03-31-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 12:22 PM   #37
jeebus

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT (on order)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I paid $4.23 for e85 yesterday.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:22 PM   #38
Luckrider
My Other Ride's a Jeep

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
So, as an update, I spent about an hour and a half trying to track down some e85. I burned a good 1/4 tank and was unsuccessful and had to fill with 93. I got 11.5 gallons in and the damn stuff cost me $46 bucks. I already miss the corn juice and its power. I'm pulling my last e85 log from a week ago as I type now. I must say, this is quite sad. 3 stations that usually carry told me they ran out and the next tank had their cost over $4/gallon.
Luckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:24 PM   #39
2point0

Drives: '13 BRZ Ltd WRB
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Damn. The places by me don't even know what they charge for it, let alone what they'll sell the next batch for.
2point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:33 PM   #40
Luckrider
My Other Ride's a Jeep

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
I was getting those withdrawl symptoms as the tank was getting empty and I would have paid $100 for my fix.
Luckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:25 PM   #41
Walla Walla
Hicas Thread Basher

Drives: Subaru BRZ 13, Hyundai Genesis 15
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
i would be more than happy to pay 4$ a gallon of e85 (but we don't have it here) and to me, it sound's cheap since we payh 5.86$ our gallon of 91 oct...
Walla Walla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:27 PM   #42
ProjectGT86

Drives: Fire Storm Red Slush box gt86/frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckrider View Post
Well, it looks like I might be on my last tank of e85. I went to fill up tonight and the pumps were "Out of Service." I asked if they were to to find out when they were getting more and sure enough, they had plenty in the tanks, but they didn't think anyone would pay $3.60/gallon. They said the next order would cost $4/gallon and that they weren't buying.

Has anyone else heard of e85 price increases by them? This would really suck if this wonder fuel dried up because it is no longer economical for the average consumer who isn't interested in performance. They turned the pump on for me at $3.60/gallon, but I don't see them having any more by the time I need my next fix.

To the mods. I felt this was the best subforum for this thread since you need to tune to run the stuff. If any mod feels it needs to be moved, I understand.

Edit: I found a relevent article: http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/0...0ML1T120140324
The E85 Stations around western MA have their prices at around $4 per gallon, they seem to be doing fine though since Bren Tuning (which is in Western MA) has a lot of customers with their cars running on E85
ProjectGT86 is offline   Reply With Quote