follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 08-25-2015, 09:36 PM   #113
bofa

Drives: Ms. Daisy
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
http://www.civicx.com/threads/2016-h...oit-and-la.99/

Well the hatchback isn't debuting yet but the sedan is being shown on 9/16 in LA and Detroit. Teaser pic...

Nicer silhouette than the current one thats for sure. Just wish they were showing the coupe same day.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:52 AM   #114
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,258 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Make it AWD and I might consider one. 275whp would do it.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:00 AM   #115
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packofcrows View Post
So basically buy the Focus RS?

I really wanted to love the CTR but I can't get over what it will cost for what you get. The RS is the better buy unless Honda somehow makes the CTR feel extremely raw like the good Type R's of yesteryear.

I suspect they will fail on that.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
NyC Zn6 (08-26-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 10:04 AM   #116
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Yes, and Ford themselves came out with an actual press release saying so. Seems to be mostly the Japanese manufacturers that will not make official announcements to far in advance. They throw the concept cars into shows and then let the bogs run wild with speculation and don't say a word to correct the misinformation. Almost seems like a marketing ploy sometimes.

The RS was basically the worst kept secret ever so no surprise that they announced it so early. Their employees were dropping such obvious hints that it wasn't hard to figure out

Going to drive the GT350 at Sebring at a Ford PR/Ford Performance 3/10ths lap day in Oct. Going to ask about when they are doing on for the RS and try to get on that list.

It's a sad world when the 3 new cars I'd most consider are a Miata and two Fords.
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-26-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 10:14 AM   #117
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
The RS was basically the worst kept secret ever so no surprise that they announced it so early. Their employees were dropping such obvious hints that it wasn't hard to figure out

Going to drive the GT350 at Sebring at a Ford PR/Ford Performance 3/10ths lap day in Oct. Going to ask about when they are doing on for the RS and try to get on that list.

It's a sad world when the 3 new cars I'd most consider are a Miata and two Fords.
Can't say the Miata will ever be on my list.
We had some product development engineers from Ford at our plant on Monday. The one guy was driving a 16 Mustang GT (don't believe they are released for sale yet?) and I asked him how he liked it. He threw me the keys and said "if you wreck it don't come back". Took it out for about 1/2 an hour. I was never a Mustang fan ever but in 3 more years when it is time to change cars again...
I will also be keeping a close eye on the RS and by the time I am ready they should have been out for a while and I will know exactly what they are like.
As you said I would never, ever, in a million years think that a Ford would end up on my watch list and now I have two as well.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:22 AM   #118
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Can't say the Miata will ever be on my list.
We had some product development engineers from Ford at our plant on Monday. The one guy was driving a 16 Mustang GT (don't believe they are released for sale yet?) and I asked him how he liked it. He threw me the keys and said "if you wreck it don't come back". Took it out for about 1/2 an hour. I was never a Mustang fan ever but in 3 more years when it is time to change cars again...
I will also be keeping a close eye on the RS and by the time I am ready they should have been out for a while and I will know exactly what they are like.
As you said I would never, ever, in a million years think that a Ford would end up on my watch list and now I have two as well.
New Miata is faster than the BRZ

I really just like it's weight. BRZ/FRS is a fat pig in comparison. The backseat is worthless so not much of a loss there.

I really wish the Miata was available as a coupe too though. Roadsters in Florida heat are just dumb unless you are one of those idiots who actually like high 90s 100+ heat index high humidity weather.

Ford has been the best of the American car companies IMO for awhile. At least they had someone with a brain that was able to make the decision to lose money in order to rebuild the brand BEFORE the friggen thing failed. Their trucks have always been pretty good, just the cars I would have steered clear of before for the most part
Old 08-26-2015, 10:44 AM   #119
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
New Miata is faster than the BRZ

I really just like it's weight. BRZ/FRS is a fat pig in comparison. The backseat is worthless so not much of a loss there.

I really wish the Miata was available as a coupe too though. Roadsters in Florida heat are just dumb unless you are one of those idiots who actually like high 90s 100+ heat index high humidity weather.

Ford has been the best of the American car companies IMO for awhile. At least they had someone with a brain that was able to make the decision to lose money in order to rebuild the brand BEFORE the friggen thing failed. Their trucks have always been pretty good, just the cars I would have steered clear of before for the most part
Not a matter of what is faster for me (I know that seems at odds with choices of Fords that I have stated) but more that I like the way they have upped the quality.

Not liking the Miata more for practical reasons. I don't use the back seat much but still want the option when I need it. Besides the reverse to your Florida issue applies here. I need a car I can drive year round and that convertible just plain sucks in a Canadian winter.
Dave-ROR (08-26-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 11:37 AM   #120
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,258 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
So basically buy the Focus RS?

I really wanted to love the CTR but I can't get over what it will cost for what you get. The RS is the better buy unless Honda somehow makes the CTR feel extremely raw like the good Type R's of yesteryear.

I suspect they will fail on that.
Ive had near death experiences with Ford. Dislike them too much. After a month of owning one id probably look at it and sigh away.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:50 PM   #121
bofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packofcrows View Post
Amazing the FWD type r beat out AWD cars including the Audi RS3 and the RWD M3. Not too shabby if you ask me and at a much cheaper price point.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:53 PM   #122
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I think the leaders at Honda actually hate cars. The only way I could design a car like that is if I actually hated cars to begin with... Or more acutely, hated car drivers.

Buying a Honda seems very much on par with the phenomenon known as "voting against your interests".

I quit you Honda, while I cling desperately to my beloved CRX, the chariot among chariots.

soulreapersteve (08-27-2015)
Old 08-27-2015, 06:22 PM   #123
bofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
I think the leaders at Honda actually hate cars. The only way I could design a car like that is if I actually hated cars to begin with... Or more acutely, hated car drivers.

Buying a Honda seems very much on par with the phenomenon known as "voting against your interests".

I quit you Honda, while I cling desperately to my beloved CRX, the chariot among chariots.

I see nothing about the Type R that tells me they hate cars. Yes the current standard Civic is a shit econobox but I think it has been the bean counters that have really mucked it up. The engineers have shown they know what they are doing when given free reign. They have done things with a FWD drivetrain that is pretty unheard of, only imagine what they could do if it were RWD.
strat61caster (08-27-2015)
Old 08-27-2015, 06:27 PM   #124
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,543 Times in 2,948 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
The current civics are shitty econoboxes(still super reliable though) because that's what the market wants. We all have to remember Honda is a business and enthusiasts are a minority. If more people demanded performance we would get it. But it goes back to the argument that all the people who want a turbo civic R want a cheap used civic R. If no one buys them new, there won't be used ones and Honda doesn't care about used car sales. They have to move brand new product. A 35000$ Civic won't sell well and they know it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
soulreapersteve (08-27-2015), strat61caster (08-27-2015)
Old 08-27-2015, 06:40 PM   #125
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,485 Times in 5,001 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
Yeah, gotta go with the chorus on this one, Honda likes money more than they like cool cars. Seems like Mazda is the only manufacturer who prioritizes 'fun' on more than one or two models...

For the incredible amount of love the S2000 gets in certain groups it was a borderline flop, while this is from the end of the run (who's excited about a car built 10 years ago) my understanding is that S2000 sales always flagged:

Quote:
Now that production has ended, Honda tells us that there are around 1,000 S2000s sitting on dealer lots awaiting a home.
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/01/r...mp-to-the-end/

Six year old comments are a kick, change S2000 to 86, any of the competitor cars to modern muscle or leave the Z car comparison and drop 'em into an article posted today and nobody would know the difference.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Rampage (09-24-2015)
Old 08-27-2015, 06:41 PM   #126
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bofa View Post
The engineers have shown they know what they are doing when given free reign.
Be careful, that's not always a good thing. I know several engineers and giving them "free reign" can have ugly consequences.

Sometimes they need "guidance".

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmYDgncMhXw[/ame]
strat61caster (08-27-2015)