follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 11-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #113
dsgerbc

Drives: BRZ(sold), STI
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde View Post
Does it get the IDs off the ECU that are already so when summer comes, I can swap back over without getting a reader?
Yes
dsgerbc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dsgerbc For This Useful Post:
Jayde (11-18-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #114
NRGBalanced

Drives: '13 Subaru BRZ Limited WRB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde View Post
Well I'd say the OEM wheels are 30 yards or so from where I park my car, between a few walls and the light went off, so they do have some range to them!
Same experience here. They're in the basement at the other end of my building, probably 30 yards too.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #115
mla163
Overthinking it

Drives: BRZ in CS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If Tire Rack ran for president, I might have voted for them.

I was having issues with my Subaru dealer not being able to reset my TPMS since they needed the codes from off of the sensors themselves. Subaru told me they'd need to take the wheel apart to read the codes on the new sensors. They did not have a reader for the codes (blamed it on the Toyota design). I called Tire Rack, they had the codes on file and emailed them to me.

For anyone ordering wheels with new sensors, make sure you get the codes from the installer. Failing that, Tire Rack may have kept the info.

Better yet. Don't get TPMS and deal with the light. It's becoming a pain in the ass and they cost an extra $XXX.
mla163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:09 AM   #116
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mla163 View Post
If Tire Rack ran for president, I might have voted for them.

I was having issues with my Subaru dealer not being able to reset my TPMS since they needed the codes from off of the sensors themselves. Subaru told me they'd need to take the wheel apart to read the codes on the new sensors. They did not have a reader for the codes (blamed it on the Toyota design). I called Tire Rack, they had the codes on file and emailed them to me.

For anyone ordering wheels with new sensors, make sure you get the codes from the installer. Failing that, Tire Rack may have kept the info.

Better yet. Don't get TPMS and deal with the light. It's becoming a pain in the ass and they cost an extra $XXX.
My suggestion is to just use the stock sensors on the wheels that go on the car for the longest. That way you only deal with the light for a few months (November-March) in my case.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #117
Khyron686

Drives: 2011 Outlander XLS, 2013 FR-S Blue
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The solution is TPMS sensors that can be cloned to have the exact same IDs as your stock ones. So you have "2" sets of exactly the same sensors, and would never need to program the car no matter how you swapped wheels. This has come up several times before, but no one actually sells them for our cars yet...
Khyron686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #118
mla163
Overthinking it

Drives: BRZ in CS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyron686 View Post
The solution is TPMS sensors that can be cloned to have the exact same IDs as your stock ones. So you have "2" sets of exactly the same sensors, and would never need to program the car no matter how you swapped wheels. This has come up several times before, but no one actually sells them for our cars yet...
It is possible, but not easy.

I haven't worked it out yet, but my plan is to use the ATEQ quickset to swap codes. The dealer has been completely worthless in trying to sort out my TPMS issues.
mla163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #119
Captain Insano

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler RubiconX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Dealerships really are lacking info on this car I think in many cases due to it being new model and recently released. I just was at dealership for someother TSBs. Asked about the TPMS for later running different wheels and and differing TPMS while I was waiting. Took them one hour and fourty five minutes to identify 2 TSBs that I gave them the IDs for too. Hmmm.... OK, I guess I can live with that if they have the info they need now and are doing the fixes for free (they are).

Dealership said they would charge me $20 each time to swap the codes as I switched wheels if the light came on. Rather than potentially $20 each time I change wheel/tires for season or track as well as added expense of the extra sensors themselves... When I do summer wheel/tire combo (running winter tires on stock wheels now with OEM TPMS sensors working fine on that setup) I will just live with the little yellow light.
Captain Insano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:41 AM   #120
neutron256

Drives: '13 GBS Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Insano View Post
Dealerships really are lacking info on this car I think in many cases due to it being new model and recently released. I just was at dealership for someother TSBs. Asked about the TPMS for later running different wheels and and differing TPMS while I was waiting. Took them one hour and fourty five minutes to identify 2 TSBs that I gave them the IDs for too. Hmmm.... OK, I guess I can live with that if they have the info they need now and are doing the fixes for free (they are).

Dealership said they would charge me $20 each time to swap the codes as I switched wheels if the light came on. Rather than potentially $20 each time I change wheel/tires for season or track as well as added expense of the extra sensors themselves... When I do summer wheel/tire combo (running winter tires on stock wheels now with OEM TPMS sensors working fine on that setup) I will just live with the little yellow light.
Well $20 is better then most dealerships, but yeah if your doing it a lot it's going to add up quickly. ATEQ quickset is the way to go if you change wheels a lot and don't want the light.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #121
Dipstik-sportech

Drives: 2013 BRZ satin white pearl sportech
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Ok this maybe a stupid question; just swapped to my winter tires on my stock rims. No where on the rim was there TPMS sensors and I have regular rubber valve stems from the factory. Do I not have TPMS or is it a wheel speed sensor based system like new fords?
Dipstik-sportech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #122
neutron256

Drives: '13 GBS Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipstik-sportech View Post
Ok this maybe a stupid question; just swapped to my winter tires on my stock rims. No where on the rim was there TPMS sensors and I have regular rubber valve stems from the factory. Do I not have TPMS or is it a wheel speed sensor based system like new fords?
Sounds like you don't have TPMS and as I recall its not manditory in Canada.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #123
Shimmyshake

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipstik-sportech View Post
BRZ's in Canada don't have TPMS...only the FR-S does
Shimmyshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #124
NYC BRZ
AutoX Addict

Drives: 08 Pontiac G8 GT,13 GBS BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyron686 View Post
Just spent 4 hours working on a solution for this today...running into some snags identifying the correct TPMS protocol so no solution just yet. Everyone is saying the 2012 Camry Sensor works so we're working with that info. Haven't pinpointed the correct combo of sensor, protocol, and relearn software yet. Toyota is notoriously tricky when it comes to relearns since its not a typical key on/off, lower pressure/raise pressure, or drive cycle relearn. You usually need a tool. I guess that's the fun part of product development!
2013 BRZ Limited- GBS - 6MT -VIN #0937
~~NYR SCCA # 18 C Street R (CSR)~~
"But there’s no mistaking the noise. This car is loud, and not in a particularly nice way. There’s no crisp exhaust note, no induction wheezing. It’s just the sound of petrol exploding in a metal box." - Jeremy Clarkson
NYC BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #125
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmyshake View Post
BRZ's in Canada don't have TPMS...only the FR-S does
You have an interesting Gubbermint! Socialized medicine, but no idiot minders?
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #126
WRXcellent

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited WRB & 2002 WRX WRB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So, is something wrong and should I be concerned, but I changed out my stock wheels for a winter set of wheels without TPMS on Saturday and have driven the car for two days, but the TPMS warning light has not come on at all. I know when I had low pressure on the stock wheels, the warning light came up, so I filled up the tires with air and the warning light went away. Shouldn't the TPMS warning light be on constantly now that the winter tires don't have TPMS?
WRXcellent is offline   Reply With Quote