follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-17-2018, 04:30 PM   #113
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I think what is messing with people's heads is the interpretation of the term "platform". They think that means it is a common chassis or structure with a different body plopped on top of it when that isn't even close to the reality.

I struggled on how to describe it but Wikipedia does a pretty good job:
"A car platform is a shared set of common design, engineering, and production efforts, as well as major components over a number of outwardly distinct models and even types of cars, often from different, but related marques."

When viewed from this definition it is easier to understand how so many different cars can share a platform even though they can be radically different.
What makes you think that Subaru has a common platform now and it didn't have one in the past?
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 04:42 PM   #114
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
What makes you think that Subaru has a common platform now and it didn't have one in the past?
Knowledge. They used several different platforms before even though a couple of models did indeed share some but the 17 Impreza is the new global for all of their vehicles. You can read all about it in the Subaru website.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:38 PM   #115
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Knowledge. They used several different platforms before even though a couple of models did indeed share some but the 17 Impreza is the new global for all of their vehicles. You can read all about it in the Subaru website.
Share some? The majority of their model line was based on the Impreza platform. They are a small company and they couldn't afford doing it differently. Maybe they are trying now to share more components, but it is not something new to them. They are doing this for more than a decade. All this about the "global" platform is more a way to modernize their communication language and make their shareholders happy. Are you maybe a shareholder? Sometimes you seem to me too dumb or just trying to hide reality. :b
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:09 PM   #116
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Share some? The majority of their model line was based on the Impreza platform. They are a small company and they couldn't afford doing it differently. Maybe they are trying now to share more components, but it is not something new to them. They are doing this for more than a decade. All this about the "global" platform is more a way to modernize their communication language and make their shareholders happy. Are you maybe a shareholder? Sometimes you seem to me too dumb or just trying to hide reality. :b
Well first off I read back and can't see where I ever said they didn't use a couple of standard platforms in the past. Some were Legacy based and some Impreza and a couple were stand alones. What I said was that ALL vehicles are going to the one NEW platform. If you think it is all just hype for the share holders you are almost as foolish as some goof that thinks they could get a 6% increase in acceleration from a light weight pulley. The new global platform and all that it means is extremely well documented so I am not sure what version of reality you favour.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:53 PM   #117
Takumi788
JHerbert Racing

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,186 Times in 593 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoBRZ View Post
My post was just using a currency converter and plugging in the values that yoshoobaroo gave us. The prices that they are able to squeeze out of a fugly model like that overseas don't really apply to the US, so it would be over $22k in the US even if they were to offer it like that... which still isn't your magical $20k number.
Not sure where you got 20k. I said I hope they keep it under 30k. And you were the one that told me it was 4k less. and this article says it was 5,500 less. lol. Anyway, I hope they keep the next gen cheap and maybe give us a stripped down version. That is all.
- #813 2013 Scion FRS Build Thread
- JHerbert Racing Website
Takumi788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:59 PM   #118
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi788 View Post
Not sure where you got 20k. I said I hope they keep it under 30k. And you were the one that told me it was 4k less. and this article says it was 5,500 less. lol. Anyway, I hope they keep the next gen cheap and maybe give us a stripped down version. That is all.
You will never ever ever see a stripped down version in the USA. Other than a hand full of guys on a forums they just would not sell enough to warrant it. It would be a sub niche of an already tight niche vehicle. Not sure but I think they even dropped the stripped version in Japan.
rvoll (04-17-2018), strat61caster (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 07:20 PM   #119
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,042 Times in 687 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
So, is turbo coming?
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:28 PM   #120
rvoll

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited, 2017 Sportage
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I really don't understand how you avid Subaru fans believe that the BRZ/86 will be a part of the "global platform". Here's a quote from an industry review article:

"As he explained the details behind the car, it became clear that the seemingly excessive budget was not just for the Impreza. A sizable chunk of change was actually dedicated to creating the company’s all-new Subaru Global Platform (SGP) that will underpin every model, including the Impreza for the next decade. That includes the Legacy, Outback, Forester, WRX, XV as well as electric and hybrid models. The rear-drive BRZ coupe of course will incorporate its own bespoke chassis, co-developed with Toyota."

The global platform includes all wheel drive as a mandatory component....

So unless the 2020 BRZ is an all wheel drive model with more comfort and increased safety, as the new platform requires, and remains low volume, then the price will rise significantly into the mid-30's to low 40's arena. They have to amortize the billion dollars spent on the new platform in any event.
rvoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:29 PM   #121
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,042 Times in 687 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
You will never ever ever see a stripped down version in the USA.
I don't know about that!
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:42 PM   #122
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Mitsubishi sold a RS Evolution in America that was very similar to the idea of the stripped RC 86. It was stripped of a lot of basic options like air conditioning and they were able to sell it for $3,200 less than the standard Evo.

You make it sound like a RC 86 in the US isn't feasible, but I don't think I agree. Now would Toyota ever go through the extra effort to offer such a car? Probably not.
So shaving $3,200 off of an RS evolution relates to shaving the $6,000 off of a BRZ/86 that would be needed to reach the previously mentioned $20k mark how?
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:51 PM   #123
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
So shaving $3,200 off of an RS evolution relates to shaving the $6,000 off of a BRZ/86 that would be needed to reach the previously mentioned $20k mark how?
I never said anything about the car costing 20k though. My comment related to the idea of a stripped model being offered in America.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:56 PM   #124
NCtoBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi788 View Post
It was “why?” in post #88 who posted the $20k figure... sorry I got two guys with cartoons for avatars crying for a stripped down twin mixed up there. Yoshoobaroo posted “The GT86 RC cut the price down to 1.9 millionYen from 2.41 million and lost 100 lbs compared to the base US model:
Steel wheels, unpainted bumpers, cheaper interior, no exhaust tips, etc. The dash trim is straight up missing 🤣” so again... I was just translating the numbers from that post, I didn’t “tell” you anything. Good luck with getting a fugly stripped down twin to save a few grand though...
Old 04-17-2018, 08:00 PM   #125
NCtoBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
I never said anything about the car costing 20k though. My comment related to the idea of a stripped model being offered in America.
Gotcha, it didn’t help the EVO survive in the US and wouldn’t help the twins either, a few grand in price difference isn’t what keeps the sales numbers low on these cars.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:33 PM   #126
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Gotcha, it didn’t help the EVO survive in the US and wouldn’t help the twins either, a few grand in price difference isn’t what keeps the sales numbers low on these cars.
I never implied any of that but ok.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote