follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-11-2011, 07:51 PM   #113
ryun84

Drives: 04 PSM WRX Wagon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
Wow $1500! they look and sound like they are very worth that price though, haha my guess was off by 500$ I was guessing it be about $1000.
Yeah they're nice. Also, when I mentioned STI in my previous post, I meant the GR body style (08+). The Greddy SE exhaust for GDs is priced much lower.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:51 PM   #114
old greg
Rocket Surgeon

Drives: PSM GGA OMG
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari0 View Post
any guestimates on the TRD exhaust?
Twice what it's worth.
old greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #115
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by old greg View Post
Twice what it's worth.
Well for the TC the TRD performance Exhaust is listed at 699$ :O wonder how good that is lol. If it sounds great and it works great ... oh who am I kidding Toyota is gonna kill us with the price aren't they ? D: so... 2000 for TRD but but they are quads!? Right? XD

That greddy car has Coils over right? wonder if Scion will provide TRD springs again I don't think they were that bad for price and looks, but never heard any reviews of the ride quality with them. I wonder how that Greddy car ride on public streets.

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:08 PM   #116
Re_Invention

Drives: '22 Tacoma, '19 Macan, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
Well for the TC the TRD performance Exhaust is listed at 699$ :O wonder how good that is lol. If it sounds great and it works great ... oh who am I kidding Toyota is gonna kill us with the price aren't they ? D: so... 2000 for TRD but but they are quads!? Right? XD

That greddy car has Coils over right? wonder if Scion will provide TRD springs again I don't think they were that bad for price and looks, but never heard any reviews of the ride quality with them. I wonder how that Greddy car ride on public streets.
A couple articles mentioned sway bars and springs would be offered the same day the car goes on sale. I can't recall if they used the name TRD specifically or said Toyota in general. I want to say the aftermarket springs were even intended for original use (dropping the CoG 20mm to rival the gt3 and 360CS) but were decided against in compromise for daily driving comfort and better ground clearance. However, this may or may not have been a rumor.

Personally, I'd rather choose a TRD part over any other manufacture. They have much more involvement with the car from it's inception onwards to production. Even if it isn't the most aggressive (and this isn't always the best anyways), I believe it will continue to be harmonious with the rest of the car.

And my huge bias; I trust a Toyota backed company waaaay more then an independent tuner - even if they've been around for a long time. Generally speaking; more money + better engineers + more sophisticated tech = superior product. Now whether that's true or not... who knows, but it stands to reason :happy0180:
Re_Invention is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:13 PM   #117
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re_Invention View Post
A couple articles mentioned sway bars and springs would be offered the same day the car goes on sale. I can't recall if they used the name TRD specifically or said Toyota in general. I want to say the aftermarket springs were even intended for original use (dropping the CoG 20mm to rival the gt3 and 360CS) but were decided against in compromise for daily driving comfort and better ground clearance. However, this may or may not have been a rumor.

Personally, I'd rather choose a TRD part over any other manufacture. They have much more involvement with the car from it's inception onwards to production. Even if it isn't the most aggressive (and this isn't always the best anyways), I believe it will continue to be harmonious with the rest of the car.

And my huge bias; I trust a Toyota backed company waaaay more then an independent tuner - even if they've been around for a long time. Generally speaking; more money + better engineers + more sophisticated tech = superior product. Now whether that's true or not... who knows, but it stands to reason :happy0180:
Yeah I'm with you Im a purist and feel that the stuff out of the factory and the company's own tuner is some of the best. I support the Aftermarket too but when it comes to things like suspension I feel like the manufacturer takes a bit more time to consider daily comfort to in comparison to independent tuners. But Im glad they are around for the option, I be happy to pay the option price for TRD springs, unless Tien comes out with something nice, I had them on my last car and they were great! better then H&R and even the Mugen suspension I had on my Civic SI. Sure hope we get some TRD goodies right off on release.

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:15 PM   #118
RYU

Drives: really slow...
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re_Invention View Post

I'm not trying to be a smartass.. but really? I've lost confidence in TRD over the years. I bought their Supercharger for my 2004 Tacoma and it still required additional tuning to get it to run properly. Now it runs great and has been for thousands of miles but in my case TRD fell short

I'm hoping this was unique to the Tacoma. Perhaps their R&D for the FR-S will be better funded in both engineering and budget.
RYU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:15 PM   #119
Jeff Lange

Drives: 1986 AE86 GT-S, 2011 Lexus IS250 6M
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I would support the sentiment more for Toyota Technocraft/TRD Japan, however TRD USA more often uses aftermarket products with their badging on them.

TRD Japan is top notch stuff.

Jeff

2011 Lexus IS350 F-Sport 6MT with LSD
1986 Toyota Corolla GT-S Supercharged
Jeff Lange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:57 PM   #120
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
^My philosophy is the same. One thing I've learned from having TRD parts on several cars is this: TRD Japan > TRD USA.

TRD USA tries to match TRD Japan parts specs but they are NOT from the same manufacturers. They probably save cost that way so there is a difference in quality. TRD USA exhaust owners would report busted leaks and my TRD USA suspension would creak in tight turns and one sway bar bracket snapped.

But my TRD Sportivo set from Japan was PERFECT (see http://www.trdparts.jp/english/parts_sportivo.html). I would not buy TTE (Toyota Team Europe) parts because they source from 3rd parties like their MR-S exhaust was from Remus. I'd also recommend C-ONE but I heard they went bankrupt. Here's a sound clip of my (sold) Spyder with TRD hardtop, TRD style bar, TRD Sportivo springs/struts/sways, TRD header, TRD catalyzer, and C-ONE exhaust (all JDM parts). Miss this thing...

[u2b]PGCSLTOJhFs[/u2b]
Old 12-11-2011, 11:08 PM   #121
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lange View Post
I would support the sentiment more for Toyota Technocraft/TRD Japan, however TRD USA more often uses aftermarket products with their badging on them.

TRD Japan is top notch stuff.

Jeff
This TRD USA is rebadged aftermarket with a bigger price tag

TRD Japan is the legit tested designed and tracked by Toyota
Old 12-11-2011, 11:22 PM   #122
jonfrs24

Drives: E90 6MT, CT9A MR
Greddy FRS..Nice and Clean Look!
jonfrs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:32 AM   #123
CXTKRS1

Drives: 2009 Scion xD
It seems the fender mount signal marker is becoming all the rage but it just looks off to me.
CXTKRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:51 AM   #124
toyo_

Drives: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfrs24 View Post
Greddy FRS..Nice and Clean Look!
Beautiful!!
toyo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:09 AM   #125
Shift

Drives: 1999 Civic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I like it, I can't wait to see other tuner's takes on the FRS/BRZ
Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:23 AM   #126
4agze

Drives: Toyota Corolla SR5
Garage
Damn lucky ass moto got to play with the first tuned FRS, I hear Mr. Shigeno wants to talk to you I wonder what? Don't for get to blog about it moto.
4agze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fr-s forum, fr-s forums, fr-s greddy, fr-s reviews, frs forum, frs forums, frs greddy, frs review, greddy fr-s, greddy frs, greddy scion fr-s, scion fr-s forum, scion fr-s forums, scion fr-s greddy, scion fr-s review, scion fr-s reviews, scion frs forum, scion frs forums, scion frs review, scion frs reviews