follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 01-18-2014, 07:23 PM   #113
SubaSteve
Captain Cocoa

Drives: CBS BRZ MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
Its not the same thing. I have high expectations but realistic ones. Toni is one guy running an LLC. Not someone with a long standing business record and motorsports pedigree.

Starting an LLC is just what it stands for he has no personal liability, just his reputation and business. Again not defending him, however internet bandwagoning can be brutal. Sure he fucked up. Hope he makes it right as he has spent a ton of time on this platform to piss it all away but its easy to clean the slate if he chooses to.

If he bails it sucks for those here, but at the same time its a lesson for many to make sure they get tuning and parts from companies that have a long standing history on multiple platforms, run shops and can do engineering and fabrication. Its the top reason I always ask for data from some of these shade ball companies and tuners on forums
I went through the threads and it looks like he has a decent history on multiple platforms but the issue is they all turn out the same. He ends up getting too much business and falls behind.
SubaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:45 PM   #114
shaunsweeney

Drives: 2014 FR-S MT Asphalt Grey
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Its not the same thing. I have high expectations but realistic ones. Toni is one guy running an LLC. Not someone with a long standing business record and motorsports pedigree.

Starting an LLC is just what it stands for he has no personal liability, just his reputation and business. Again not defending him, however internet bandwagoning can be brutal. Sure he fucked up. Hope he makes it right as he has spent a ton of time on this platform to piss it all away but its easy to clean the slate if he chooses to.

If he bails it sucks for those here, but at the same time its a lesson for many to make sure they get tuning and parts from companies that have a long standing history on multiple platforms, run shops and can do engineering and fabrication. Its the top reason I always ask for data from some of these shade ball companies and tuners on forums
You do realize all of those big corporations started right where he did right? You want to know the difference? They delivered and grew accordingly. This guy seems like he just wants to make a quick buck then adios once the real companies start stepping up. I may be wrong but the track record is on my side.

I have said it before but it bears repeating. Be patient and wait for the big boys to support our platform. Many are already here or in development. I hate having to do things twice!
shaunsweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shaunsweeney For This Useful Post:
Dezoris (01-18-2014)
Old 01-18-2014, 08:05 PM   #115
onabulletride

Drives: 14 brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Problem is he's burned through about 5 businesses and 3 names already.
onabulletride is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to onabulletride For This Useful Post:
woode (01-18-2014)
Old 01-18-2014, 10:22 PM   #116
ciro

Drives: Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunsweeney View Post
Stick with folks like @MAPerformance and FullBlown that have been in the game a long time and have a know rep over several platforms.

Yep us minnesotans know how to not be compete jackoffs!
ciro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ciro For This Useful Post:
shaunsweeney (01-19-2014), SmsAlSuwaidi (01-19-2014), Sportsguy83 (01-18-2014), xia (01-19-2014)
Old 01-18-2014, 10:27 PM   #117
woode
Boosted Member

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via MSN to woode
Turbo is installed

For those wondering, I spent the day installing the turbo! It took all day because I had to repeatedly run to the hardware stores tracking down fittings and adapters since the few things Toni DID send were wrong. Also, the piping had some wrong angles and lengths.. its almost all fixed now but FUCK FA20Club garbage. I think I could have fabbed up my own kit by now.

I'll post up some pictures tomorrow. I JUST got it to a running point.. still need to put the crash beam on, bumper, etc.

That and I forgot the damn wastegate metal seal so it is stuck open at idle a little bit.. gotta take that off and re install.

Also, anyone know what the AFR is at idle normally? It is sitting at ~19. This seems high but I'm not sure if I am getting a bad reading, the wastegate being open is affecting it (dump pipe), or if it can't even compensate for the turbo at idle (i can't imagine that being it)? When I give it a little rev it drops to 13-15ish, which seems more reasonable. I really would like to be able to drive it (carefully staying out of boost) to the tuner but if it is running too lean even out of boost i'll just rent a truck/trailer.
2010 Subaru Impreza WRX PRM SSM
woode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:47 PM   #118
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,389 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by woode View Post
For those wondering, I spent the day installing the turbo! It took all day because I had to repeatedly run to the hardware stores tracking down fittings and adapters since the few things Toni DID send were wrong. Also, the piping had some wrong angles and lengths.. its almost all fixed now but FUCK FA20Club garbage. I think I could have fabbed up my own kit by now.

I'll post up some pictures tomorrow. I JUST got it to a running point.. still need to put the crash beam on, bumper, etc.

That and I forgot the damn wastegate metal seal so it is stuck open at idle a little bit.. gotta take that off and re install.

Also, anyone know what the AFR is at idle normally? It is sitting at ~19. This seems high but I'm not sure if I am getting a bad reading, the wastegate being open is affecting it (dump pipe), or if it can't even compensate for the turbo at idle (i can't imagine that being it)? When I give it a little rev it drops to 13-15ish, which seems more reasonable. I really would like to be able to drive it (carefully staying out of boost) to the tuner but if it is running too lean even out of boost i'll just rent a truck/trailer.
don't quote me on this because I am just doing it from memory as I leave work, but my idol was either hi 17 or low 18. When I get home to my computer I will check my logs.
Jr Tuned 506whp @17psi (e73)
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawaiian For This Useful Post:
woode (01-18-2014)
Old 01-18-2014, 11:48 PM   #119
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
My idle was close to 14.7 always
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
Mathewgzlz (01-19-2014), s2d4 (01-19-2014), woode (01-18-2014)
Old 01-19-2014, 12:23 AM   #120
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
My idle was close to 14.7 always
And so it should be in close loop fueling.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:10 AM   #121
Travisty75

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by woode View Post
Should be a stoich 14.7 at idle. Having your dump tube with a leak is probably pulling in extra air and causing the reading to be off. Seal that up and I'd expect your readings to drop back down to where it should be.

Doesn't this kit switch to a blow through setup? If that's the case and your haven't yet flashed to the new base map tune, your ECU seeing a positive flow instead of vacuum may be throwing things off.
Travisty75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Travisty75 For This Useful Post:
woode (01-19-2014)
Old 01-19-2014, 10:47 AM   #122
LBC Por Siempre

Drives: 2008 Toyota Prius, 2012 911 Turbo
That is ridiculous, the inside of that part is nowhere near as smooth as the outside of that part. And we all, or we should, know that the piece of equipment that is touching any of the airflow from inside the engine needs to be silky smooth to avoid creating vortexes which won't help any tube creating smooth airflow.

I just would have sent the part back asking for a full refund. Looks like I will never be doing business with these folks ever. QC is a Huge part of my business and is a metric we use to keep track of who and what is doing the job right.
LBC Por Siempre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:11 AM   #123
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgi View Post
on pump gas that is
And on an AFR gauge that is not calibrated to differentiate from pumpgas or E85 it will show the same 14.7
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
s2d4 (01-19-2014)
Old 01-19-2014, 11:23 AM   #124
LBC Por Siempre

Drives: 2008 Toyota Prius, 2012 911 Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaSteve View Post
I went through the threads and it looks like he has a decent history on multiple platforms but the issue is they all turn out the same. He ends up getting too much business and falls behind.
Sounds like someone knows how to weld, create a decent product but is unable to scale up when demand requires it. When demand increases there is a need to increase production with competent people who know how to weld. That is what Contract Agencies are for, you let the agency go through the headache of interviews and what ever else. If you like them then you hire them for the time you need them, and when you're done with making what you need you send them back to the contractor and tell them thank you.
LBC Por Siempre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:29 AM   #125
Ryan P

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I think he has an issue with being ' penny-wise and pound-foolish' , which causes a lot of these problems. Sending thousand of dollars worth of product without signature confirmation would be one glaring glimpse of this particular trait. This coupled with poor organizational skills makes scaling to demand impossible.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Ryan P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:40 AM   #126
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
At that point I would think it would be better to just rebuild from scratch than fix that cobbled up POS...
Kiske is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c'mon man, doyen brown aka toni, epic thread tag, fa20isthenewikea, fab-worx/rda limited, fixitagaintoni, i like to weld things, i like turtles, some assembly required, spattered sparrow shit, time for a new company, toni ten times, tunerfail, welded the jail bars, welding 101, welding with toni, weldingfordummies