follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #99
JimmyMac

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2016 Miata Club
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Next?
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #100
Toma

Drives: Viper, Mustang, FD RX7, FFR GTM
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCarbine View Post
I think it is unreasonable to assume that if you dyno/e-tune a car (NOT a basemap, but an actual tune that has been tweaked to extract the most power) it can be shared among other identical cars safely.
It's true. Its like the OEMs spend millions to tune the car to exactly how they want. They dont send out a unique map for each car they sell. They are mostly the same and they perform almost identically.

This isn't my first rodeo. You tell me any popular car that can be tuned, and I can tell you what timing it wants, what cam angle, and what af ratio.

Once you start getting into built engines, pistons, change rod ratios, cams, head work etc. The cars become more unique and the one off tune is no longer.
Toma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #101
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Those or tuner kits for Ecutek Dealers at this time, it won't be long before someone markets them with a bredit tune for a lot cheaper than an Ecutek tune, that's the point.

Next

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #102
JimmyMac

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2016 Miata Club
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Here you go, straight off AVO and GReddy website.. No tuning options. Means you can buy bredit or your option kit and tune it yourself without spending the "extra" for ECUTek.

http://www.avoturboworld.com/avoshop...ual-p-191.html

http://www.greddy.com/products/jdm-s...rtnum=11510094

From FT86SpeedFactory, Vortech with no tune. (Buy your own tuning option.)

http://ft86speedfactory.com/vortech-...r-kit-527.html

Here's another dealer website. BRZ/FRS Parts. Tuner kit. (Buy your own tuning option.)

http://www.brz-parts.com/6010.html

This means you can buy those kits without the "surplus tax" of ECUTek. Buy these kits and tune it with whatever tuning option you want.

Next.... heehee
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #103
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
i saved money by tuning my turbo kit with brzedit. both on the license and the cost of the tuning labor itself. got everything done, out the door for $250.
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #104
Nightbringer

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Apologies for my ignorance here, but for those of us that are uncomfortable tuning our own vehicles, what are our options with BRZedit? What tuners are providing tunes with BRZedit remotely? The closest tuner to me that utilizes BRZedit is in another state (P&L in Chicago). A majority of my issue with this BRZedit vs EcuTEK debate is I haven't seen anyone offering the remote assistance of Visconti/FA20Club/etc.
Nightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #105
jamesm
Banned

Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightbringer View Post
Apologies for my ignorance here, but for those of us that are uncomfortable tuning our own vehicles, what are our options with BRZedit? What tuners are providing tunes with BRZedit remotely? The closest tuner to me that utilizes BRZedit is in another state (P&L in Chicago). A majority of my issue with this BRZedit vs EcuTEK debate is I haven't seen anyone offering the remote assistance of Visconti/FA20Club/etc.
There are several vendors on here that offer the service, you just have to contact them directly. I guess they don't offer it publicly for fear of backlash from the Ecutek mafia.
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #106
sho220

Drives: FR-S MT & FJ Cruiser
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toma View Post
We are in North America. The world here makes sense.
You're kidding, right?

sho220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #107
sho220

Drives: FR-S MT & FJ Cruiser
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
When you install your toaster oven and don't allow for enough breathing room for the appliance and it causes a fire... you will wish you had read the manual.

Anything that plugs into an outlet is potentially dangerous and should be treated with respect. Comsumers just willy-nilly plugging things into the wall and wondering why their house burned down is a good reason to READ THE MANUAL.

How many amps does this draw? Why is my fuse blowing every time I run my microwave/tv/space heater at the same time? Why did my extension cord catch on fire?

Oh, its because I didn't realize this appliance draws 17 amps and I ran a 50 foot extension cord with only 16 gauge wire.

Read. The. Manual.
haha...you're really reaching with all that...do you own a toaster? Did you read the owners manual when you got it home? If you say "yes", well, I'll just say it now...LIAR, LIAR, PANTS ON FIRE!!!

A toaster is a no-brainer, an aftermarket tune for a vehicle is not. The OP, or whoever owns the car in question, should have done a little more research...

sho220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #108
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho220 View Post
haha...you're really reaching with all that...do you own a toaster? Did you read the owners manual when you got it home? If you say "yes", well, I'll just say it now...LIAR, LIAR, PANTS ON FIRE!!!

A toaster is a no-brainer, an aftermarket tune for a vehicle is not. The OP, or whoever owns the car in question, should have done a little more research...
I did read the instructions, I got a pretty expensive toaster/convection oven and I read the manual. I learned that I needed to run it for 20 minutes on the hottest setting to burn off oil from the manufacturing process.

I'm not reaching with that, because I was an electrician for a few years and have seen my fair share of electrical fires.

I also read manuals for firearms when I purchase them, as well as pretty much anything I buy.

If I'm going to spend my hard earned money, I'm going to RTFM.
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #109
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
It's true. Its like the OEMs spend millions to tune the car to exactly how they want. They dont send out a unique map for each car they sell. They are mostly the same and they perform almost identically.

This isn't my first rodeo. You tell me any popular car that can be tuned, and I can tell you what timing it wants, what cam angle, and what af ratio.

Once you start getting into built engines, pistons, change rod ratios, cams, head work etc. The cars become more unique and the one off tune is no longer.
An OEM tune is far from aggressive. An OEM tune is your definition of "one tune fits all".
It has to deal with a LOT of environmental differences, be compatible with elevation far from sea level, and use whatever crappy gas is available in some third world country (California lol)
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #110
Toma

Quote:
An OEM tune is far from aggressive. An OEM tune is your definition of "one tune fits all".
It has to deal with a LOT of environmental differences, be compatible with elevation far from sea level, and use whatever crappy gas is available in some third world country (California lol)
A good aftermarket tune meets all those criteria. No need for custom with same mods.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #111
Nightbringer

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Still waiting for factual results for BRZedit. (A tie would be a victory considering pricepoint, I've just yet to see ANYTHING so far that's substantial other than a few select people saying "It's just better.")

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
There are several vendors on here that offer the service, you just have to contact them directly. I guess they don't offer it publicly for fear of backlash from the Ecutek mafia.
What vendors supply these BRZedit tunes with updates for life? If they're not advertising it as a service... That seems odd to me. For one I didn't know a vendor-provided option existed until now, and still don't have any fact on who to go to, result graphs, etc. You claim it's superiority to EcuTEK, but if so, why hide it, where are concrete numbers, etc? You insinuate EcuTEK's business model is shady, yet I find the lack of overt information more suspect and off-putting. I'd have considered BRZedit as a feasible option had I known vendors were providing for it. Just an observation here.

Quote:
A good aftermarket tune meets all those criteria. No need for custom with same mods.
On this front... My car on 93 octane does not run the same as a car with the same mods on 93 in Milwaukee an hour away from here. Both 93 octane, same car, same mods. Reformulated gas in Milwaukee county requires a different tune to run optimally, even though it has the same octane level we do. Sure it could adapt, but most of us don't pay for "close enough."

Last edited by Nightbringer; 07-13-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Nightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #112
Toma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightbringer View Post
Still waiting for factual results for BRZedit. (A tie would be a victory considering pricepoint, I've just yet to see ANYTHING so far that's substantial other than a few select people saying "It's just better.")

What vendors supply these BRZedit tunes with updates for life? If they're not advertising it as a service... That seems odd to me. For one I didn't know a vendor-provided option existed until now, and still don't have any fact on who to go to, result graphs, etc. You claim it's superiority to EcuTEK, but if so, why hide it, where are concrete numbers, etc? You insinuate EcuTEK's business model is shady, yet I find the lack of overt information more suspect and off-putting. I'd have considered BRZedit as a feasible option had I known vendors were providing for it. Just an observation here.

On this front... My car on 93 octane does not run the same as a car with the same mods on 93 in Milwaukee an hour away from here. Both 93 octane, same car, same mods. Reformulated gas in Milwaukee county requires a different tune to run optimally, even though it has the same octane level we do. Sure it could adapt, but most of us don't pay for "close enough."
This isnt 1989 anyomore, and the entire rom size that runs the car isn't 4kb like a TBI Chevy was. Crappy gas is crappy gas and the same tune TODAY can be made to run as good as possible on crap gas versus 'good' gas.