follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #99
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Did someone already say "that'll buff out!" or am I late?
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
King Tut (01-28-2013), powerj2 (04-04-2013), xjohnx (01-28-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #100
industrial
Add lightness!

Drives: 17' WRX
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vubaru View Post
No, I'm saying your fee quotes are farsical and this is not how most attorneys handle the situation. In other words, you're wrong.
To say so flatly that I'm wrong when I made a fairly vague generalization of how the system would work gives you little credibility. Guess we're going to have to agree to disagree since my experience with lawyers is so radical different from yours. In most little cases (and yes, this seems to be a little case), it's just fees all around. Nobody wins except the lawyers who collect their wages. No problem for insurance companies and corporations whom have lawyers on their payroll.
industrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #101
gily25

Drives: Silica BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I would anticipate that the dealership would be willing to provide a new car and cover any losses involved in the insurance claim (personal belongings, upgrades) and your insurance company should be able to settle that without you needing an attorney.

As far as potential loss of life/injury (this is separate from the car payout), you would have to prove that you couldn't have prevented the incident, since your post here says you smelled gas, did you shut the car off right away and then get out? The battle over those kinds of facts is more than just settling a slip and fall. You really wouldn't want the kind of attorney that will take this case for free (unless that's the best you can do) since it is going to involve a substantial liability claim you can probably find an attorney who will take the case for an hour or two of time (retainer) up front while the paralegal prepares the initial documents and inquiry. Additional hours will be dependent on how many people need to be interviewed/deposed and whether experts need to be involved. The additional hours will probablhy be billed at the end because in the first 2 hours the attorney should know whether there will be a potential payout.
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #102
kthxbai

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S M/T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Glad you are ok and I'm so sorry for your loss!
Old 01-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #103
BRZfan

Drives: 2013BRZ Premium St Silver Metallic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gily25 View Post
I would anticipate that the dealership would be willing to provide a new car and cover any losses involved in the insurance claim (personal belongings, upgrades) and your insurance company should be able to settle that without you needing an attorney.

As far as potential loss of life/injury (this is separate from the car payout), you would have to prove that you couldn't have prevented the incident, since your post here says you smelled gas, did you shut the car off right away and then get out? The battle over those kinds of facts is more than just settling a slip and fall. You really wouldn't want the kind of attorney that will take this case for free (unless that's the best you can do) since it is going to involve a substantial liability claim you can probably find an attorney who will take the case for an hour or two of time (retainer) up front while the paralegal prepares the initial documents and inquiry. Additional hours will be dependent on how many people need to be interviewed/deposed and whether experts need to be involved. The additional hours will probablhy be billed at the end because in the first 2 hours the attorney should know whether there will be a potential payout.
Cheese & Krackers people, he ALREADY HAS an attorney.
BRZfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #104
jeebus

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT (on order)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
holy balls of fire! I'm glad I've been waiting to do the cricket "fix".
Old 01-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #105
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
DAMMM! just glad OP is ok and hopeing that op gets a new car with benefit it caused
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #106
RazBRZ
Cones are bad

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86BRZ View Post
You must read that DIY thread too. The center place is perfect for a fire extinguisher.
Yeah, I made that DIY
Old 01-28-2013, 05:20 PM   #107
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Lawyers are like car salesmen, most of them aren't bad people, but there are plenty out there that still perpetuate the stereotypes. I've sold cars to a few lawyers in the past and I always ask them who they think society hates more

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #108
BRZfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
Lawyers are like car salesmen, most of them aren't bad people, but there are plenty out there that still perpetuate the stereotypes. I've sold cars to a few lawyers in the past and I always ask them who they think society hates more
Gosh, what was the most popular answer? Never mind, you don't have to answer that. You have rights.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #109
jmaryt
Banned

Drives: 2012 honda civic ex
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by industrial View Post
You sound like you've been through this before. You have some decent points.

1. How is SoA going to destroy the evidence? It belongs to the insurance company and/or the OP. Until the OP signs the title over, wouldn't SoA be stealing if they tried to do what you propose?

2. I agree to some extent.

3. Actually my friend, the cheapest route for a corporation to take in this case is to do the right thing and get the OP a new car, apologize profusely and throw in something extra for all the trouble and save face. It's not like someone died here or it was a criminal action (I'm speculating now) or this is a fundamental design flaw in the car. It was probably some mechanic that made an honest mistake. What a few of us are saying is that you have to give them a chance to do this. You can always lawyer up later. Once the lawyer genie is out, there is no putting it back in.

I really agree on the point that the OP should not post anymore here though.
i agree! give 'em the benefit of the doubt. see what they do. if they balk,then grab a lawyer.
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:31 PM   #110
BRZfan

Agree? Maybe. Lets investigate further. Who else has an opinion?

Attached Images

Old 01-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #111
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Not sure if anyone suggested this, but this is a serious safety issue and the OP should report the event to National Highway Safety Administration:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/

This is the agency that can call for a recall if this is not an isolated event. What would have happened if two small kids where in the back in their car seats??? Could they have gotten out in time???
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #112
BRZfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
Not sure if anyone suggested this, but this is a serious safety issue and the OP should report the event to National Highway Safety Administration:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/

This is the agency that can call for a recall if this is not an isolated event. What would have happened if two small kids where in the back in their car seats??? Could they have gotten out in time???
Might be a bit early for reporting to NHTSA since cause seems to be mechanic's error. But certainly can be done after litigation if need be.