follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-13-2013, 01:41 AM   #85
Toma

Drives: Viper, Mustang, FD RX7, FFR GTM
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCarbine View Post
One tune fits all is correct when you load a BASEMAP.
When you send in datalogs to get a revised tune, the tune outcome will be based on your modifications and your particular car... because no two cars will tune the same exact way.

Having done a lot of street tuning, I honestly believe that if you had two identical cars with identical modifications.... one dyno tuned and one tuned over the internet or on the street, the street/e-tune will be within 85-90 percent of the dyno tune power gains. Also, this is completely up to the abilities of the tuner.

Some ECUTEK tuners will also tune over the phone if you go to a dyno.

I know you love to hate ECUTEK, I am actually a fan of open source tuning.... but you drag ECUTEK through the mud like its your job
2 cars modded the same will end up tuned the same.
Toma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:57 AM   #86
GTM_Challenge

Drives: On track
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Not sure about the rest of you, but why do you want to tune the car yourself? I feel it's really risky to attempt to tune a motor that you've never tuned before (especially with DI). Take the risk on your own car if you want, but I know for sure I wouldn't trust myself.

If you've seen the amount of things that the systems out there can control in the ECU, it's simply amazing. I don't see what the issue is with not being able to tune the car yourself from my standpoint. Then again, I am out beating the crap out of the car on track every weekend and can't afford to fix mistakes that I might make trying to tune the car myself. Many more knowledgeable people out there than me.
GTM_Challenge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GTM_Challenge For This Useful Post:
cuddefred (07-13-2013), Hawaiian (07-13-2013)
Old 07-13-2013, 02:08 AM   #87
Gixxersixxerman

Drives: Toyota GT86, 66 beetle, 11 GSXR 750
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
I want the same setup I have on my bike.. A bazzaz.. It's a piggyback unit that uses it's own wide and o2 you type in the AF ratio and stuff the. Rh. It down the road, it auto tunes.. Or you can dyno tune also.. It maps the whole rev range with all the throttle I outs and is 400$
Gixxersixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:17 AM   #88
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
ECUTek has resale value, you sell your ECU, dongle, cable, and laptop as a combo in return for ca$h + a stock ECU.

If you are trading in your car its an option. Anyone interested shoot me a PM.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:01 AM   #89
RedLeader

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toma View Post
Sure, assuming they had identical ECU learning patterns, were using a chemically identical fuel source, were both tuned on the same day, in the exact same environment, with the exact same atmospheric conditions and if every single one of a million variables were all the same, then yes, they'd tune and perform the same.

I don't get what's so hard to understand about the way ECUtek does business. You are buying the rights to use two separate people's intellectual property (Ecutek and the tuner). What makes you think that means you have the right to turn around and potentially profit from someone else's work?

And yes, as a consumer, it is YOUR responsibility to read the information that the producer of the product you're buying has put out there. ECUtek has made no secret about the fact that tunes and license are not transferable, just because you didn't read anything anywhere doesn't mean that its a terrible policy or that they are trying to screw you. ECUtek is in the business of licensing software, and tuners are in the business of selling tunes, they are going to protect their intellectual work just like any other software producer does.

This whole thread sounds like a lot of people complaining because the first company to provide them something doesn't provide it to them in the manner they want. The joy of capitalism is that if you don't like the way they do something, you can get into the market and do it better. But bitching about it is easier, so that's what so many people are doing.
RedLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RedLeader For This Useful Post:
cuddefred (07-13-2013), Hawaiian (07-13-2013), Nightbringer (07-13-2013), pixel67 (07-13-2013)
Old 07-13-2013, 06:20 AM   #90
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
guys
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:39 AM   #91
Visconti
Banned

Drives: 05 STi
Thanked 3,188 Times in 1,197 Posts
Mentioned: 375 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Visconti
Quote:
This is the shitty part. $900 for minimal gains on a near stock na car. The mail order guys are making a killing on what is essentially one tune fits all. You can pay 300 to 500 for a proper live dyno tune.... or you can pay 300 for something that barely beats a stock tune with advance multiplier set to one and rev limit set to 8000. (Track tested lap times and acceleration data).

Extreme imo. Diablo. Sct. Hypertech provide those tunes for free when you buy there hardware. Oooohhh... I have a cold air kit and exhaust. Better get a 'custom' 900 $ mail order tune lol.

I would encourage people to talk with their cash. Brzedit has the best model at the moment....especially for tuners. I know AEM chose BRZedit and I heard k&n is as well.

It works awesome and for what... $700 you can tune it yourself have a better logger. ...and the support and user base is growing.

Im sure the mail order guys will start supporting you too, there are probably quite a few that will send tunes to you already.
I dont think support is growing as fast as you think !

I sell 5 ProECU Kit's a week for the BRZ.. (on a slow week)

No tuner with half a brain is going to pickup BRZEDIT and think their going to be successful in a market FULL of EcuTek.

What happens when you want to go forced induction and need stuff like, geez i dont know.. maybe a boost cut.. or a way to control a boost controller via the ecu..

oh you have flat foot shifting and launch control.. sweet.

Does it add fuel enrichment and retard the ignition timing?

Is the Launch Control adjustable on-the-fly?

Does your software have a built-in ECU-Recovery Tool for when the ecu is bricked? (different from recovering from failed flashes btw)

Can you disable the immobilizer ? - you know for racecars and such

Hows your traction control work?

the list can go on

It's so funny how you jump on the EcuTek hate train but are soo quick to forget that your BRZEDIT also gets licensed to one car and can't be resold !

John
Visconti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Visconti For This Useful Post:
cuddefred (07-13-2013), King Tut (07-15-2013), Nightbringer (07-13-2013), SilentMike (07-13-2013), SkAsphalt (07-14-2013)
Old 07-13-2013, 08:37 AM   #92
Nightbringer

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsFang View Post
Why must it cost $800+ for JUST a tune that adds ~20hp? What happens if a better tuning software came out? Well now im $800+ down the drain. This is the one reason why I have yet to purchase ECUtek. If ECUtek offered gains like the diablo stage 0.5 tune for the genesis (70+hp) then yea it would be worth the $800+ for digital mod.
First to market. When you absorb the time and expense required to R&D and bring something to market FIRST, the benefit is you get to charge for the service. Welcome to commerce? Our money is being used to further the community. The VAST number of people who bought into EcuTEK are ecstatic with the results.

You want to see 70+ horsepower gains on a REFLASH for a stock N/A 2.0L? Yeah, damn them for not giving us a magical reflash that gains 50% of our wheel horsepower from some reprogramming. Compare percentage gains, and like applications. It's not a large-displacement twin turbo car, but tuning it still requires the same research and time, which they put in.

Money talks. It's called the "Market." Toma is speaking with his money by not supporting EcuTEK---and others of us did. He's brought up the "This is America" thing a few times... that means the rest of us are free to speak with OUR money too, whether you agree with it or not. If BRZEdit is the superior option you say it is, then EcuTEK will wither and die and it will emerge victorious. We ALL want to see a cheap easy tuning solution hit the market, and I'm sure one will appear after the car's been around for a few years----this is how it ALWAYS works in the automotive world. Let it drop.

Bashing EcuTEK in every thread even quasi-related to tuning isn't going to change EcuTEK's business model, it just makes our forums look like most other automotive forums, which I find embarrassing. If you want to promote your product, keep it civilized and intellectual: state the pros and cons and respect the rest of the community to make an informed, intelligent decision that suits THEIR needs not yours. If you make a strong enough case, you win. 'Merika.

I hope no one takes offense to any of this, but I'm not seeing any betterment for the community from these threads. They turn into purely opinionated arguments. Go out, hug your 86, and smile that you HAVE options to debate over after only one year of production..
Nightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nightbringer For This Useful Post:
Apoc (07-13-2013), SilentMike (07-13-2013)
Old 07-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #93
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
I think it is unreasonable to assume that if you dyno/e-tune a car (NOT a basemap, but an actual tune that has been tweaked to extract the most power) it can be shared among other identical cars safely.
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:09 AM   #94
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
Does it add fuel enrichment and retard the ignition timing?
On another platform I messed around with tuning fullthrottle shifting, we experimented with a lot of fueling and tons of ignition retard to see if we could spool a turbo from a stop.

We called it "Going full retard"

It worked, but good lord was it retarded on the street
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #95
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
The issue with EcuTek will be when the big companies like Greddy, Votech, Sprintex, etc start to realize they are losing sales for the $800+ surcharge Ecutek places on their product. They make money selling hardware not the tunes. They put up with it now because the market is small.

If these cars continue to sell at high volumes, a shop will start selling a supercharger kit or turbo kit complete with a tune like brzedit for under $4k. Or a 230 bhp header+ overpipe kit for under $1k with tune. Its bound to happen.

Just think how many more customers Avo, Greddy, Vortech, and Innovate would have without the $900 Ecutek tax ? Think about how many mom & pop shops out there don't install these products or deal with the Twins because they don't have an Ecutek Pro license ?

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #96
JimmyMac

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2016 Miata Club
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
The issue with EcuTek will be when the big companies like Greddy, Votech, Sprintex, etc start to realize they are losing sales for the $800+ surcharge Ecutek places on their product. They make money selling hardware not the tunes. They put up with it now because the market is small.

If these cars continue to sell at high volumes, a shop will start selling a supercharger kit or turbo kit complete with a tune like brzedit for under $4k. Or a 230 bhp header+ overpipe kit for under $1k with tune. Its bound to happen.

Just think how many more customers Avo, Greddy, Vortech, and Innovate would have without the $900 Ecutek tax ? Think about how many mom & pop shops out there don't install these products or deal with the Twins because they don't have an Ecutek Pro license ?
You can buy a Vortech and Innovate without the ECUTek, I believe they call them tuner kits.
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #97
JimmyMac

I believe AVO sells them without as well.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #98
JimmyMac

GReddy kit does not include ECUTek as well...