follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #85
enderr

Drives: 2013 Toyobaru FT-86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post
I'd disagree w/ this personally. I'll likely get the auto but during my test drive w/ VSC Sport, the auto was noticeably slower than my other SMT...
Just for reference which other car are you talking about?
enderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #86
Obja

Drives: Raven FRS/c5 Corvette
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I'm on the "bought an AUTO but would like a MT" train
Obja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #87
Jambi5150

Drives: FRS Firestorm 6spd Manual
I picked my MT firestorm up 2 weeks ago and love it.

I went to the dealership with every intention of buying an AT but after several friends put the "a car like this has to be manual" in my head I decided it's worth trying both. Boy am I glad I did! I drove the manual first and was giddy and smiling the whole time. It was just so much fun to drive and I felt so "connected" with the car. I then drove the AT and honestly I was a little disappointed. That really fun "sports" connection I had in the manual just wasn't there for me with the AT. I switched on the full manual paddle shifters and that was definitely an improvement but it still didn't give me that same butterflies in my stomach kind of feeling I had driving the manual.

I was going to take a break for food and a beer while deciding on a color and the sales guy let me take a MT out so I could confirm that was the way I wanted to go and from the first pull out of the parking lot I knew it was. 2 beers and a small pizza later I cruised back over and said "it's gotta be manual and it's gotta be red. Find me one."

That said, the AT was definitely awesome and as others have said it's very fast and has that high end sports car feeling because you can just flip through gears with the paddle shifters. But for me, it was an easy choice to go manual. My traffic and commute isn't nearly as bad as some of those living in LA or cities like that though so that would have factored into my decision a little more but I don't think I could have been swayed away from the MT honestly. It's just too much fun.

My advice is definitely test drive both and you'll probably know pretty quickly which one is the one for you.
Jambi5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #88
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Smile

In the case of the FRS I will probably go manual, the automatic is a whole second slower to 60 which makes it hard for the poor thing to defend itself unless you spend some extra cash 5k-6k bolting on way more power and suspension/transmission upgrades to lower the 0-60 by 1 second.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #89
pmdc

Drives: Raven FR-S 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
In the case of the FRS I will probably go manual, the automatic is a whole second slower to 60 which makes it hard for the poor thing to defend itself unless you spend some extra cash 5k-6k bolting on way more power and suspension/transmission upgrades to lower the 0-60 by 1 second.
From a roll they'll be roughly the same. MT might have a miniscule advantage due to slightly shorter gearing. The second comes from the inability to launch the AT.
pmdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:10 AM   #90
noobcake

Drives: EVO X
when I go to get my frs im going with Manual, and no one will change my mind. My mom is trying to force me to get a auto, just in case there is an emergency and she has to take it somewhere lol.
noobcake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to noobcake For This Useful Post:
SneakyPete (08-08-2013)
Old 07-13-2013, 04:28 AM   #91
bkblitzed
is better than you

Drives: 2013 raven FRS
Thanked 1,347 Times in 745 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdc View Post
From a roll they'll be roughly the same. MT might have a miniscule advantage due to slightly shorter gearing. The second comes from the inability to launch the AT.
you cant step on the brake and press the gas for launching?
bkblitzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:54 AM   #92
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Automatic? Never heard of one

No point in getting a sports car if it ain't got that third peddle. Unless of course it's a 458 or a GTR.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #93
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
I presently have a manual. A little over a week ago I went to my out of town dealer and test drove an automatic. The paddles shift faster than I do in my manual. I told my sales gal that if the 2014's have just a few minor changes I'm hoping for I would buy one from her with an automatic. If they don't make any changes to the new model I'll keep what I have. Both transmissions have their advantages.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whaap For This Useful Post:
michaelosx (07-14-2013)
Old 07-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #94
UnOvertime

Drives: Firestorm FR-S AT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
The car is fun either way. I have driven both and I do not regret my automatic choice. It is all personal preference and fun factor. I have fun in my automatic just as much as my friends do in the manual, but I do not autox/track either in which case I probably would have bought the manual for more control in corners. I plan on boosting mine eventually and the auto gets pretty impressive numbers.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:23 AM   #95
makesdrivingfunagain

Drives: 2013 FR-S
"Automatic" for me

I enjoy a MT, however, I live in Southern California. The commute is an hour long with slow traffic. I am thankful they made an automatic! I'm not sure I would have bought this if it was manual only. As I purchased this primarily do to the appearance and general performance characteristics of the car. Oh, and if it would have been a general automatic, I wouldn't have purchased it! I wouldn't even consider it! This is an exceptional automatic (IMHO). I realized I don't race, and didn't buy this car to race. This has plenty of power to get in trouble. I just sold my 13 second, autocross prepped 4-5k in suspension 5.0 mustang a few years ago. This car was originally automatic and I spent at least 4k converting it to stick shift. I loved manual transmissions that much... It also had 4.10 gears. This automatic was so advanced and shifted so firm and precise I couldn't resist. After one test drive in the auto I was sold. This is fast enough...for a street car, especially when enforcement is higher than ever...
makesdrivingfunagain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to makesdrivingfunagain For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-14-2013), michaelosx (07-14-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #96
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdc View Post
Not according to this video even if they are horrible drivers:[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qde3TcynFAI"]6 speed auto vs 6 speed manual FRS - YouTube[/ame]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkblitzed View Post
you cant step on the brake and press the gas for launching?
You can, but like all cars these days it has feature (for inexperienced drivers) if the brake and gas is depressed at the same time the maximum rpm it will reach with foot on brake and gas will be 2000 rpm meaning it won't launch as well off the line. I kind of wish it had some sort of launch control.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #97
davidchoi

Drives: BRZ - White Satin
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Id feel less than adequate driving auto. I got a manual.
davidchoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #98
EK_Golfer

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S AT
I was in a friend's BRZ MT, which he's had for a year now, crawling through stop-and-go traffic, and the drivetrain seemed to have some jerk/lashing (we'd make it up to second gear before having to full brake, flow of traffic was never slow enough to stay in 1st gear). I've driven MT in traffic with Hondas, VWs, and BMW that have smoother drivetrains in bad traffic. On open roads though, the ride was much smoother (the twins definitely like being shifted at high RPMs).

Of course this could be just my friends driving ability, but I've heard a lot about the difficulty of driving the MT in our cars smoothly in harsh traffic.

In the end I'm glad I have my AT as this car is my DD road warrior getting me through rush hour everyday. In wish I had it in MT for weekends though!
EK_Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EK_Golfer For This Useful Post:
makesdrivingfunagain (08-08-2013)