follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 12-18-2014, 01:19 PM   #85
slim blanco

Drives: 2017 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
i use the ebrake as well from time to time. i never really cared for lack of an armrest
Old 01-07-2018, 10:28 PM   #86
TOLM

Drives: Brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhangy View Post
I got the OEM armrest. Apparently no one ever gets them. I was the first one to order and have it installed at my dealership. They spent 3 hours installing that little crap because they've never done it before.

Review: Looks nice with having extra red stitching in your car, but the armrest feels plastic and hard. The reason I got it was for looks and to cover some valuables that I store in my trays. Not worth the $400 imo.
I am thinking on the oem armrest. For looks only. No need for elbow support at all. In fact i would prefer not to touch this thing at all with my arm or elbow not to mess with my shifting.

I am 6 ft. Average arm lenvth.

Shall i pull the trigger? (Any chance i would be hitting this thing with my arm)?

Thanks
TOLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:50 AM   #87
iamrich83

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86, 2000 Mazda Miata
Bump. I'm thinking about getting an armrest for a 2017 86. What are the best ones out there that match the interior?
iamrich83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:12 AM   #88
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Any of the ones that fit the older cars will fit the newer ones, so the answer is in this thread.

I've had this one now for about five years. It's held up well, and is low profile enough that it doesn't get in the way of anything. Some folks don't like having to leave it open for drinks, but I don't have drinks on board frequently, and when I do it's not that big of a deal. I like being able to close off the cubby completely the rest of the time.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:12 PM   #89
iamrich83

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86, 2000 Mazda Miata
They fit, but many except for your style, they are all red stitching.
iamrich83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:39 PM   #90
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrich83 View Post
They fit, but many except for your style, they are all red stitching.
Yep the aftermarket has either not caught up or just doesn't care about the facelift cars. Even a lot of the red stitched stuff is discontinued though so maybe the new is on its way.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:43 PM   #91
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,143 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I've been wanting to get the sliding Toyota armrest, but I couldn't confirm whether it had the red stitching or not out of the dealer and I don't like the red. I would assume that it is the same for the 2017+ models, all though I'd appreciate a small revision due to the interior being all black with the suede like material everywhere.

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/toyo...l#.WuSk6IjwY2w

This option seems to be best in terms of color and appearance[I like the blue], but I don't like the restricted functionality due to covering the cup holders.

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/ft86...l#.WuSjIIjwY2w

EDIT:
Upon further investigation it appears the 2017 may have gotten the silver stitching option which is better than the red.

https://www.86speed.com/products/201...etal-gray.html

Last edited by RToyo86; 04-28-2018 at 01:13 PM.
RToyo86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:22 PM   #92
VoltsFRS2013

Drives: 2022' GR86 Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
my current arm rest is the left drivers door padded thingy and my cupholder LOL
VoltsFRS2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VoltsFRS2013 For This Useful Post:
FTA_Dave (04-29-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 02:21 PM   #93
BlueBRZTurbo

Drives: 1993 RX7, 2004 VW R32
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Nope. I do that also.

I looked at that one for a long time before deciding to order the Scion USDM sliding armrest (which is awaiting installation). The GT86 armrest really does look a lot better, but I ended up thinking the Scion armrest would be more functional for two reasons:

1. With me being 6', the GT86 armrest would still be too low for my comfort. For me it would essentially just be a center console cover. The Scion armrest is higher, and I should be able to rest my arm on it comfortably.

2. I routinely drive long distances for my job, and that kind of driving requires coffee. Coffee requires a cupholder. Having to leave the GT86 armrest door open to enjoy a cup of coffee seems awkward. Not only would it be in the way, but I suspect the hinges wouldn't last that long constantly being bumped in the open position. The Scion armrest is supposed to slide out of the way to allow cupholder access. I considered relocating my cupholder forward next to the shifter, but I didn't like the mounting points available there. This seems like the best compromise.

I'm hoping I'll have time tomorrow to install this thing. I have 16 hours of long-distance driving to do next week, and I'd like to have it in place for that.
Thanks for the description of why you like this, i'm 5'10" but have a long back and short arms so this arm rest seems like it would be the best one for me. The arm rests that cover the cup holders is too low and I can't actually rest my arm on it plus it's got better functionality than the arm rests that just cover the compartment fully.
BlueBRZTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 02:30 PM   #94
BlueBRZTurbo

Drives: 1993 RX7, 2004 VW R32
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOLM View Post
I am thinking on the oem armrest. For looks only. No need for elbow support at all. In fact i would prefer not to touch this thing at all with my arm or elbow not to mess with my shifting.

I am 6 ft. Average arm lenvth.

Shall i pull the trigger? (Any chance i would be hitting this thing with my arm)?

Thanks
If it's for looks only the OEM armrest is probably best. extrashaky is also 6' and he said the OEM armrest is too low to actually use. I'm 5'10" but have a long back and I would also not be able to use the OEM armrest cause it's too low. I'm curious, why don't you want an armrest you can actually use?
BlueBRZTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:03 PM   #95
Lensdale

Drives: FRS
Hi, new member here!

Are these armrests more for show (to cover up the cavity) or do they actually get use from the arms/elbows?

Wondering if the attached concept is feasible. Seems like a better location to serve as an armrest and leaves the storage/cupholder section open for use.

It does cover up the heated seat buttons in some models though but I think you do not always need access to these buttons. Whenever they are to be used you can pick up the armrest, toggle them and replace armrest.

Just my thoughts, interesting to know what others think.
Attached Images

Lensdale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lensdale For This Useful Post:
humfrz (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 01:58 PM   #96
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,927 Times in 16,470 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lensdale View Post
Hi, new member here!

Are these armrests more for show (to cover up the cavity) or do they actually get use from the arms/elbows?

Welcome to - The Forum -

My "elbow rest" is functional and is wide enough for both mrs humfrz and I to use - without fighting over it -

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:29 PM   #97
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I'm rolling with:

A little pricey but such quality and looks completely OEM and requires no holes or installation, just plop it in and it stays. I think it comes with the car in Japan, I know its an official Toyota armrest for the car. I got it off ebay

I got lucky and found one with the 86 logo on it. Yeah a little pricey but its quality that lasts the life of the car.

Last edited by DandoX; 10-15-2018 at 02:34 PM. Reason: removed the ebay link, upon close inspection it was a knock off of the real Toyota one
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:06 PM   #98
arkanist

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited, Stock
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lensdale View Post
Hi, new member here!

Wondering if the attached concept is feasible. Seems like a better location to serve as an armrest and leaves the storage/cupholder section open for use.

It does cover up the heated seat buttons in some models though but I think you do not always need access to these buttons. Whenever they are to be used you can pick up the armrest, toggle them and replace armrest.

Wouldn't work well for me but I am probably in the minority being 6'3".
arkanist is offline   Reply With Quote