follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Old 01-30-2013, 12:57 PM   #9619
Re~Mix

Drives: 13' Scion FRS MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
With CFD, finer meshes are better (high polygon equiv?)
Finer meshes are always better, but computing power and the time it takes to run a model usually dictate a tradeoff. I generally try to get 7-12 points between prominent features at the very minimal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Re~Mix For This Useful Post:
Dimman (01-30-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #9620
Want.FR-S

Drives: 4 Wheels Auto
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
^ The 64 GB of RAM starts from $306.xx to $693 alone in newegg. That could be pricy to build a i7 box.

Another note: with a Virtual VM you can set the limits of processor power and memory usage on your session. Therefore more RAM the better. In my case I was exhausting my 3 GB of RAM almost all of it so that renders the Windows to be useless when VM was running. However, when running Linux natively, I can run the simulation while doing other tasks (writing docs, browsing web, and others) with no significant degradation on performance. I cannot do that with Windows and a VM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Want.FR-S For This Useful Post:
Dimman (01-30-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #9621
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
I am using for reference on requirements that one automotive case on an i7 with 32GB of RAM takes 24-36 hours. 1-2 hours on a Xeon-based workstation (but specs unknown at the moment).

My past experience is old 3d animation and rendering software, and high polygon count models, coupled with ray-tracing would just kill things.

With CFD, finer meshes are better (high polygon equiv?) plus instead of light rays that just go straight, the air modelling is kind of like raytracing where the rays interact with each other and don't have to go straight. So lots of RAM would be in order, especially since it can't send it to a fancy graphics card.

I'm probably going to shoot for 64GB on Windows 7 Pro, and a virtual Ubuntu setup.
i7 Ivy (4-6core) or E7 xeon (8-10core) pushes numbers better for programs that are CPU computing dependent. Theres a big difference in types of programing, CFD and solidworks 3d modeling equivalent software requires much more computing power than traditional high poly count models in Maya/3dmax. A good 3D animation workhorse setup i just used recently was a i7-3770k LGA2011 64gbDDR3, on NVIDA Quadro4000GPU, had insanely fast render times.

But if i wanted CFD or any computational modeling/scaling or 3D printing or high speed machining. id go with at-least dual xeons, 2 Tesla GPU, and double the amount of ram..i think the new LGA2011 workstation boards max at 4026gb of ram.

my current setup for solidworks and 3dmax on my desktop is i7-2600k, 16gb ram, and AMD HD6970. I used the HD GPU because its not openGL limped like Nvida card, and works pretty well with CPU/GPU dependent workstation programs.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #9622
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I really suggest running Linux natively rather than through VM. That may not be the solution for you, but performance within a VM will always be worse. An overbuilt Linux box with dual boot is the best way IMO. You can overbuild the machine and essentially have two computers, sorta.

I really suggest a SSD for your boot device and application installations with a separate high speed (7500RPM or higher) HDD for storage. That's just how I would do it though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
Dimman (01-30-2013), Guff (01-30-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #9623
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Been having lots of ideas in how to turn my desk into an indesk computer.

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
The Following User Says Thank You to Giccin For This Useful Post:
Guff (01-30-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #9624
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccin View Post
Been having lots of ideas in how to turn my desk into an indesk computer.
holy shit! me too! i went to Home depot yesterday to see if they had good materials to build a desk. I wanted the desk to have imbeeded USB ports, power and reset button, and a small LCD monitor that shows CPU/GPU temps.

Then went to superbrightleds.com this morning to find some ricerific lighting solutions to make it uber bling.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:02 PM   #9625
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
No way in hell is it worse than Cali.

Location of Norcal in some areas are pretty nice. The only thing that I'll really miss is how relatively close things are in Cali.

Cali its hard to find jobs and its hard to get raises (of course it depends on the company you work for). I don't want to sound prejudice or racist at all but SoCal is damn close to the boarder and competition is pretty high. Also lots of people want to live in Orange County its one of the most diverse places to live in the U.S, but for some reason even though we're close to the border San Diego still has some pretty good job opportunities.

Also if you must know... to get a job as a doctor at Kaiser Permanente in OC is a 20 year WAIT to work.
Wait, North as in North California or North as in Canada, Washington, or Oregon? Seattle is depressing due to their constant cloud cover but I've heard Oregon is nice. Dunno much about the Canadian side.

Quote:
Living with it forever it doesn't seem too bad.

A bit confusing to some people, though:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/fq/txrts-eng.html

Even Canadians think the rate goes up across the board as you earn more, but it doesn't. Everyone pays the same rates on the base, and the higher rates only apply to the amount in excess of the base.

So in my province someone making ~$37k is about 20%. (But in my province, a single person making that also has to pay $66.50/mo for medical. It maxes out at $133.00/mo for families of 3 or more, though.)

Now post up some American figures. Hopefully it won't shatter my illusion if what is acceptable and make me cry...
The US uses a progressive but stepped scale where you are taxed a certain amount from x -> y at a certain rate then excess is taxed at different levels depending on how much you make. Say you make $37k but the first $15k is taxed at 10%, then everything from $15k~$30k(not exactly sure here) is at 15%. then the remaining $7k is taxed at 20%. Which if my numbers are correct, makes for a total of $5.15k in taxes at an effective tax rate of 13.9%. The brackets go even higher than that though.

Then we have tax credits for just being alive which stacks with marriage credits and child tax credits. For example, I received a federal tax credit and a state tax credit even as a single adult with no dependents. Which doesn't affect what I pay since I'm self employed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Allch Chcar For This Useful Post:
Dimman (01-30-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #9626
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 6,254 Times in 2,673 Posts
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
I have. I just didn't want to fuck up someone's set setting. Lol

:P
Didn't realize I struck a nerve there, I understand.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishbok View Post
im going to drift on mt. akina in may
Video it or you're pulling everyone's leg here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spd229 View Post
random thought: so this whole skyrim thing coming up...riding dragons. Is this going to work with the randy savage macho dragon mod?

The eve dust 514 concept seems pretty neat too....need to d/l it.

Only thing that comes to mind:

Macho macho man, macho man yeaah... I got be... a macho man.

Education is Important, but Race Cars are more Importanter
The Following User Says Thank You to M-17 For This Useful Post:
Guff (01-30-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #9627
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
Wait, North as in North California or North as in Canada, Washington, or Oregon? Seattle is depressing due to their constant cloud cover but I've heard Oregon is nice. Dunno much about the Canadian side.
Norcal silly! Lol

I love the rain but damn I would like to wear shorts too! rofl

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
TOYOTA FT-86
Old 01-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #9628
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-17 View Post
Didn't realize I struck a nerve there, I understand.....

Well I wouldn't want to mess up your seat setting if I sat in it. Its like errmygerrd... now have to readjust mirrors and the seat is not in ideal condition etc. Lol

I'd just like to be courteous with the person's car I'm in.

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
TOYOTA FT-86
Old 01-30-2013, 02:30 PM   #9629
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 6,254 Times in 2,673 Posts
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Well I wouldn't want to mess up your seat setting if I sat in it. Its like errmygerrd... now have to readjust mirrors and the seat is not in ideal condition etc. Lol

I'd just like to be courteous with the person's car I'm in.

Haha, I know. It bothers me too when people used to barrow my old car and change a few things in it. But eventually you get over and just reset it again. So I wouldn't get that mad if you needed to make necessary adjustments to drive my car.

Education is Important, but Race Cars are more Importanter
The Following User Says Thank You to M-17 For This Useful Post:
Giccin (01-30-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 02:31 PM   #9630
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
i7 Ivy (4-6core) or E7 xeon (8-10core) pushes numbers better for programs that are CPU computing dependent. Theres a big difference in types of programing, CFD and solidworks 3d modeling equivalent software requires much more computing power than traditional high poly count models in Maya/3dmax. A good 3D animation workhorse setup i just used recently was a i7-3770k LGA2011 64gbDDR3, on NVIDA Quadro4000GPU, had insanely fast render times.

But if i wanted CFD or any computational modeling/scaling or 3D printing or high speed machining. id go with at-least dual xeons, 2 Tesla GPU, and double the amount of ram..i think the new LGA2011 workstation boards max at 4026gb of ram.

my current setup for solidworks and 3dmax on my desktop is i7-2600k, 16gb ram, and AMD HD6970. I used the HD GPU because its not openGL limped like Nvida card, and works pretty well with CPU/GPU dependent workstation programs.
I'm looking at a Xeon E5 2630 with 15MB cache, motherboard supports 2 CPUs and 512GB RAM, with an ATI FirePro 5800 (fully SolidWorks compatible). Have to see what ParaView requires before I confirm graphics, though

Starting with 1 CPU and 32-64GB RAM.

OS setup will be Windows 7 Pro/Ubuntu virtually until I get back up to speed with the technical side/Linux, then going to dual boot.

Because titanium.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #9631
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I've been out of the game for a while but the places where you want to spend the most money are your motherboard and CPU. Make sure the motherboard supports future CPUs (make sure they're not releasing a new socket) and has enough room for expansion. Overbuild within your budget.
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
Guff (01-30-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #9632
Jayde

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
I spent roughly $3500 on my last build in December of '11. ASUS Rampage 4 Extreme, i7 3930k, 2 EVGA GTX 580s in SLI, Corsair 1200watt (or 1000, don't recall) PSU, 32GB GSkill Ram, Corsair M4 SSD boot drive, various mechanical HDDs for storage, Corsair H100, all in a Coolermaster HAF X case. Keep in mind I bought 3 23" monitors at the same time. Also picked up a Ducky Shine Mechanical Keyboard and ASUS new Headset. Been using my G9X mouse for years. Love it.

Off topic, but, for you Tri-Staters, we're planning a big FT86 meet in Atlantic City on April 6th! We're in the early stages of planning, but that's where and when! Keep an eye out for a thread in the tri-state forums coming soon!
Closed Thread

Tags
221whp, :popcorn:, autobahnned, bringbackthebutts, brucelee, chucknorris, cutiepiepoppoppocorn, docking and snoodling, don'tbesadintotheocean, epic funnies, everyoneignoresmyposts, fuck yeah, funny thread tag, go_a_way1 was here, go_a_waycopiedspecialk, hey youse guys!, hoonigans, i am supreme., i like chocolate milk, i like to poop a lot, i like turtles, ichitaco, insertjokehere, invadethistread39erstyle, kr-s have my babies, kr-s is a faaggot, kr-s is a loser, mythbeliever, myunclesaid..., only the strong survive, postheredontbotherashrink, rules_of_nature, sklimo liked it, skylineislyfe, special_k was here, tagageddon 2016, thetagofreason, titsorgtfo, troz, whathappenedtothetags?