follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote! 367 74.59%
I don't know, but its time for a new name. 125 25.41%
Voters: 492. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 04:01 PM   #939
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,965 Times in 11,387 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble713 View Post
Ummmm, MkIV Supra? If that car isn't beautiful and timeless to your eyes.....your aesthetic tastes are an extreme outlier....
I guess I'm an outlier then, because I think the MkIV Supra is about the worst of the Supra breed. Again, its very subjective.

I also like both the MK1 and MK2 MR2s (very different but each have their own beauty). I have an emotional attachment to the MK1, but if I was honest the MK2 is the better looking car.

I like the FT-1, but the front is too extreme. I suspect that will get adjusted by the time the make it to production. Not even 100% sure it meets regulations as it is.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (07-26-2015)
Old 07-26-2015, 07:33 PM   #940
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I guess I'm an outlier then, because I think the MkIV Supra is about the worst of the Supra breed. Again, its very subjective.

I also like both the MK1 and MK2 MR2s (very different but each have their own beauty). I have an emotional attachment to the MK1, but if I was honest the MK2 is the better looking car.

I like the FT-1, but the front is too extreme. I suspect that will get adjusted by the time the make it to production. Not even 100% sure it meets regulations as it is.
I thought I was the only one.
The Supra MkIV just looked bulbous and overweight to me - the RX7, and even the R34 in comparison, looked lean and mean.

The MR2 is still one of the most attractive cars.

From the Calty perspective, I do still find the 7th gen Celica to be a good looking car - perhaps not timeless though.
The Following User Says Thank You to daiheadjai For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-27-2015)
Old 07-26-2015, 07:56 PM   #941
Noble713

Drives: MkIV Supra & Evo X
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqdork View Post
You and the other kid are apparently ignorant of the fact that the most recently revealed McLaren, the 570S that has no active rear spoiler, was announced in New York after the 675LT was revealed in Geneva.
Two cars developed contemporaneously with reveal dates differing by <60 days. Which one has an active spoiler? The one with the higher performance envelope.

Quote:
The Ferrari 488, also more recent and contemporary than LaFerrari, has no need for an active rear wing, either.
It's also Ferrari's entry level performance coupe. Look at their plans for the F12 upgrade:

2018 Ferrari F12 M Spied, Mid-Cycle Update to Bring Active Aerodynamics

Quote:
Despite aluminum remaining the main element, the F12 M is expected to make use of carbon fiber to reduce weight. Ferrari has shown an increased appetite for active aerodynamics and since this is a V12 model, we can expect hydraulic power, not wind force, to activate these.
On a side note, the Koenigsegg Regera has an active rear wing as well.

Quote:
As a former owner of a Mk. IV Supra TT Anniversary Edition, I was never impressed with the design, especially the hyperthyroid headlights and boy racer 3' high spoiler ruining an otherwise safe, vanilla GT coupe design. The N/A Mk. IV looked better balanced, IMO. The resale market seems to agree. I've yet to see any Mk. IV appreciate in value.
They haven't depreciated much, either. A quick trip to Ebay Motors shows several Supras sold in the ~$40k range. And for 15-20 year old sports cars, that's a decent accomplishment.

Quote:
Like I said, each to their own, and if someone actually admires the C7 bodywork then it's understandable why they also like the overdone FT-1 prototype.
Maybe this is a generational thing. I'm 32 so I've grown up on stealth fighters, giant Japanese robots, and M4 carbines with Picatinny rails. Things with hard edges are sexy and aggressive. There are very few smooth, sweeping, curvy-designed cars that I like (FD RX-7 is one).

Quote:
Times and tastes are changing. The 2016 NSX has no active rear spoiler. Same for the 2016 GT-R. Both of those are said to be FT-1 competitors should it make it into production.
Re: the 2016 NSX. One of the engineers spoke about the aero:
http://wot.motortrend.com/1501_2016_...#ixzz3YijnLk2Z
Quote:
MT: Why doesn't it have some sort of pop-up rear spoiler? Active aero?
TK: “It’s simply that we chose to develop the product with the passive aerodynamics fully optimized. So we wanted to challenge ourselves to fully optimize the aerodynamics. Now, as I’m fond of saying, if you have your passive specification worked out well, you will discover the opportunities for active aerodynamics.”
In other words: active aero is still where you would go if you were pursuing absolute peak downforce, they just chose to aim a *LITTLE* lower and still get decent results passively. This is not an indictment of active wings as an obsolete technology, it's an admission that their design objectives were low enough to be met via other means.
The Following User Says Thank You to Noble713 For This Useful Post:
gymratter (07-28-2015)
Old 07-26-2015, 08:58 PM   #942
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I prefer the SCAR rifle but this thread is already deep enough into the weeds.

Not sure if it's a generational thing either, but my idea of rolling sculpture at the same or better rumored price point of the FT-1 is the Jaguar F-Type Coupe 6M/T.

We can't all be Lewis Hamilton no matter how many aero devices are on our cars, so I'll settle for timeless beauty, mechanical grip and restrained aero restricted to less visually disruptive devices.

Last edited by torqdork; 07-26-2015 at 11:07 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to torqdork For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (07-27-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 07:38 AM   #943
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble713 View Post
.... Maybe this is a generational thing. I'm 32 so I've grown up on stealth fighters, giant Japanese robots, and M4 carbines with Picatinny rails. Things with hard edges are sexy and aggressive. There are very few smooth, sweeping, curvy-designed cars that I like (FD RX-7 is one).
Perhaps, and like most styles things cycle around so its interesting sometimes how things skip generations so that grandparents and grandchildren have more similar tastes than they do with their parents.

I grew up in the age of muscle cars, Stingrays, Countach's and the Lunar Lander, again more angular and such. Probably why I prefer the MK1 MR2 to the MK2, the C7 Corvette to the C5/6, and the earlier Supras to the last.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:29 AM   #944
rlpaul

Drives: point A to point C. Screw point B!
Quote:
Perhaps, and like most styles things cycle around so its interesting sometimes how things skip generations so that grandparents and grandchildren have more similar tastes than they do with their parents.

I grew up in the age of muscle cars, Stingrays, Countach's and the Lunar Lander, again more angular and such. Probably why I prefer the MK1 MR2 to the MK2, the C7 Corvette to the C5/6, and the earlier Supras to the last.
Eh, I dunno. I find a '71 Hemi Cuda, or a '67 Stingray to be gorgeous.

I also find the MKIV Supra to be quite attractive, or say a DB7. Both fairly bulbous cars there (in comparison. At least to the Plymouth...).

On the other hand, while I find Koenigsegsgsdkgjsldghsd's (sigh, I hate trying to spell that) to be 'cool' looking, at the same time I think they're ugly

I can appreciate both the flowing lines of a '66 E-type just as much as the hard edges (and boxy/angular appearance) of an '86 Testarossa.

It all has to flow together. If it doesn't flow, doesn't matter if its organic, angular, sharp, or whatever. Then its just ugly.
The Following User Says Thank You to rlpaul For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-27-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 08:38 AM   #945
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpaul View Post
It all has to flow together. If it doesn't flow, doesn't matter if its organic, angular, sharp, or whatever. Then its just ugly.
I think that may be the key as well. Again, its all in the eye of the beholder. I do like my share of "swoopy" cars, but it has to be just the right look.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:24 PM   #946
torqdork

Quote:
I think that may be the key as well. Again, its all in the eye of the beholder. I do like my share of "swoopy" cars, but it has to be just the right look.
Agree with both of you, it's about perceived styling balance.

I appreciate balanced angular designs too, like the TR mentioned and designs that capture the best elements of both like Lambo Miura, Ferrari Daytona and split-window Stingray.

Still, my preference for road cars both from a design and driving dynamics standpoint are curvy F/R coupes or roadsters. There's something about the voluptuous long hood/short deck school that seems timeless to me that started with the first car to capture my attention when seen live, an AC Cobra.
The Following User Says Thank You to torqdork For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-27-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 02:36 PM   #947
synchromesh

Drives: Ultramarine Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I never really knew why recently I've had less desire for angular cars. I dare say that my old E30 M3 that's now doubled up could be considered angular. I blame the sale sometimes on the old roommate who couldn't believe I paid 15g's for it, in a negative context. There were times I didn't think it was that great looking but I could easily make up looks equally or more, with a good storyline. Even though I had Countaches and Porsches with fins posters as a kid, I guess I was still pubescent.

The angular designs I cannot disrespect. It reminds me of when our hockey team once paid a California studio a million dollars to design a new jersey and logo in the 80's. You can see the theme in building architecture as well when you travel or browse around.

Going to the Jaguar dealer later today, but an ethics professor of mine once said in a lecture that you never see angular designs in nature ever.
Go against nature?
Old 07-27-2015, 02:50 PM   #948
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqdork View Post
Not sure if it's a generational thing either, but my idea of rolling sculpture at the same or better rumored price point of the FT-1 is the Jaguar F-Type Coupe 6M/T.

That's not fair!
I can't imagine anyone who can find the F-type unattractive...
If they were blind, maybe - but once they hear that exhaust note....
The Following User Says Thank You to daiheadjai For This Useful Post:
torqdork (07-27-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 03:29 PM   #949
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchromesh View Post
Going to the Jaguar dealer later today, but an ethics professor of mine once said in a lecture that you never see angular designs in nature ever.
Go against nature?
Guess he never looked too closely at rock cliffs, crystalline structures or even snowflakes?

I do love Jags, and most Astons. They have contrasting curves, rising and falling. So, I guess it depends on the application. It's the ones that look like melted soap bars that just don't do much for me.

Last edited by Dadhawk; 07-27-2015 at 03:41 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
torqdork (07-27-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 07:49 PM   #950
synchromesh

Drives: Ultramarine Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Guess he never looked too closely at rock cliffs, crystalline structures or even snowflakes?

I do love Jags, and most Astons. They have contrasting curves, rising and falling. So, I guess it depends on the application. It's the ones that look like melted soap bars that just don't do much for me.

Oops, I was in bit of a rush but I recall now he must of referred to 90 degrees square and it must have been microscopic or something. At that time I was daydreaming about e36 m3's and next year's 996 911, I guess Saw the guy one time shopping at the supermarket instead of an organic food market. Things that make you go hmmm.

The F-type was pretty amazing today He obviously wanted to arrange a test drive with the nice one(Coupe R) in the showroom. 700W stereo looked to be British made(heard they make some of the best) and seats fit well on my smallish frame compared to the C6 Corvette.

Entire data base history showed not one 6 speed manual sold or delivered ever! Told the guy needed to research the ZF gearbox and he clued in that, 10-20 grand, in options meant much more to me than a typical buyer he sells to.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to synchromesh For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-28-2015), torqdork (07-27-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 11:36 PM   #951
torqdork

I was hoping for a report on the F-Type S Coupe V-6 S/C 6M/T, my pick of the litter on paper. My dealership doesn't have any either. Did they give you an ETA?
Old 07-28-2015, 01:09 AM   #952
abraxis

Drives: many
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Comparing F-type to the Supra now? Yeah, something elementary school kids would do during recess. Toyota is not chasing 55 year old golfing dentists.

Closed Thread

Tags
bmwforsuckers, boring-zzzzzzzzzzzzz, brz, celica supra confirmed, frs, ft-1, hatch-y +1, morethanucanaffordpal, nomanualnogo, supra, toyota, twins, watstheretailon1ofthose