follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 07-16-2014, 08:16 AM   #897
andrewFT86

Drives: dark grey metallic Toyota 86 MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Got the AVO kit with their breather tank installed by FusionR and MFB. try to PM him.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...24&postcount=8
andrewFT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:23 AM   #898
Zenith/Nadir

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewFT86 View Post
Got the AVO kit with their breather tank installed by FusionR and MFB. try to PM him.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...24&postcount=8
Thanks man, that actually helped a lot. Looks like they have that line going straight to the oil filler neck. I suppose I could run it like that without any real inconvenience, just need to buy an oil cap with a nipple. Thanks again!

Last edited by Zenith/Nadir; 07-16-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Zenith/Nadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:24 AM   #899
nataku
Negative Mass

Drives: Orange Metallic AVO Turbo GT86 6MT
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I installed a Crawford AOS the same way it gets installed on an N/A car... Did I miss a complication somewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2014, 10:30 AM   #900
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
You can kinda see mine in this pic. 1 catch can fits in between the factory pcv line with a 1 way check valve. The other can has 2 inlets, one for the stock breather and the other for the oil reservoir breather. It routes back to the intake before the turbo

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1405520861510.jpg
Views: 3313
Size:  96.1 KB
Old 07-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #901
GremlinGSP

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Garage
If you do get a hold of the instructions for the AVO Breather tank would you mind forwarding them to me? I either lost mine or didn't get them and have had no luck emailing AVO or my vendor. I got the base NA breather tank instructions from my vendor but not the Turbo version.

Its been sitting on the shelf for a while waiting to be installed lol.
GremlinGSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:11 PM   #902
AVOturboworld

Drives: 2013 "AVO Orange" FR-S
Thanked 2,277 Times in 636 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinGSP View Post
If you do get a hold of the instructions for the AVO Breather tank would you mind forwarding them to me? I either lost mine or didn't get them and have had no luck emailing AVO or my vendor. I got the base NA breather tank instructions from my vendor but not the Turbo version.

Its been sitting on the shelf for a while waiting to be installed lol.
I remember getting an email recently and sending a pdf of the instructions off - possibly it got stuck in your junk mail? PM me your email address and I'll attempt again.
AVOturboworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:01 PM   #903
Zenith/Nadir

Quote:
Originally Posted by protpibe View Post
You can kinda see mine in this pic. 1 catch can fits in between the factory pcv line with a 1 way check valve. The other can has 2 inlets, one for the stock breather and the other for the oil reservoir breather. It routes back to the intake before the turbo
So very similar to the routing I described for my setup. But where does your PCV go if you run the other can to the turbo inlet?
Old 07-16-2014, 01:17 PM   #904
Zenith/Nadir

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataku View Post
I installed a Crawford AOS the same way it gets installed on an N/A car... Did I miss a complication somewhere?
Mine is actually a Crawford as well, and I'm no expert but I would not install it that way on a turbo car. When you are in boost, you will be pressurizing the crank case. Also, if you put the AVO oil breather into the PCV line to the can, it will not go through the can and just go straight into the turbo inlet. If you read a few posts up, this is exactly what AVO recommends getting a catch can, breather, or air/oil separator to avoid, especially under longer duration high rpm conditions.

The changes I'm making are using a metal PCV valve, but leaving that can routing alone, adding a 2mmHG opening, 1psi closing check valve on the line between the can and the intake manifold, and either running the AVO oil reservoir breather to a tee in the factory breather to can line or straight to the oil cap. This is the part I'm still trying to figure out.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:32 PM   #905
nataku
Negative Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith/Nadir View Post
Mine is actually a Crawford as well, and I'm no expert but I would not install it that way on a turbo car. When you are in boost, you will be pressurizing the crank case. Also, if you put the AVO oil breather into the PCV line to the can, it will not go through the can and just go straight into the turbo inlet. If you read a few posts up, this is exactly what AVO recommends getting a catch can, breather, or air/oil separator to avoid, especially under longer duration high rpm conditions.

Again maybe I'm missing something but the routing of the PCV lines for the AOS just places it in the middle of the OEM system. I don't understand how it would have the effect you're referring to.

The only change I can see is I'm feeding the filtered air directly into the throttle body instead of the turbo. The oil is still going to have to drain to the crankcase regardless of how you route the rest of the system. Please do enlighten me though. If I'm going to cause problems for my oiling system I'd like to fix it.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:44 PM   #906
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Again maybe I'm missing something but the routing of the PCV lines for the AOS just places it in the middle of the OEM system. I don't understand how it would have the effect you're referring to.

The only change I can see is I'm feeding the filtered air directly into the throttle body instead of the turbo. The oil is still going to have to drain to the crankcase regardless of how you route the rest of the system. Please do enlighten me though. If I'm going to cause problems for my oiling system I'd like to fix it.

You'll want to install a check-valve between the manifold and AOS for two reasons:

- the stock pcv valve leaks
- not having one means that every connection between the manifold and the stock pcv (the can itself) is a potential boost leak
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:52 PM   #907
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
It goes back to the intake manifold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith/Nadir View Post
So very similar to the routing I described for my setup. But where does your PCV go if you run the other can to the turbo inlet?
Old 07-16-2014, 01:53 PM   #908
Zenith/Nadir

Quote:

I will take a picture, label the ports, and attempt to explain better when I get off work.
My main goal in posting in this thread was to attempt to get some help from AVO, but they seem to be ignoring me, despite responding to another member's post which quoted my request for assistance. @AVOturboworld please help.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:00 PM   #909
nataku
Negative Mass

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405533515.315291.jpg
Views: 1639
Size:  355.2 KB

I was incorrect. I'm feeding to the start of the intake which is obviously better than what I thought.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405533565.349172.jpg
Views: 2610
Size:  288.2 KB

That's the drain to the crankcase correct?

Other side has hose going down under A/C compressor. Is this where I should put the check valve or the hose in the first picture?

Thanks dudes.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:18 PM   #910
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

That's the drain to the crankcase correct?

Other side has hose going down under A/C compressor. Is this where I should put the check valve or the hose in the first picture?

Thanks dudes.

Yes, that is the PCV and you need to install a check valve to prevent pressurizing crank.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avo, avoturboworld