follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 06-19-2014, 02:12 AM   #869
Fastbrew

Drives: 2014 Pearl White BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I suppose I could try to replace the entire thing with this:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L2SF64E/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: Axxess AX-USB-35EXT USB + 3.5 Waterproof Cable w/ Covered Panel: Car Electronics[/ame]
(Not sure if it will fit the location but it has to be close) - Edit: Looks like someone on here has used it and it is a direct replacement! woot
Then I could add a 3.5 to dual RCA splitter and plug them into the ca-fi left and right audio in. The usb should plug into the ca-fi cable. Looks like this thing has 6 feet of cable lol.

Last edited by Fastbrew; 06-19-2014 at 02:25 AM.
Fastbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:58 AM   #870
bwthor

Drives: gray
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyke View Post
Do they send an Email when the Order is dispatched?

I ordered mine on the 6th, still waiting for info from them...
I ordered mine (a universal model) on the 13th, and received a notification today that it was shipped, along with a DHL tracking number.
bwthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:03 PM   #871
Deathalo

Drives: 2013 WR Blue Limited Manual BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoi23 View Post
Anybody having trouble with the sd card getting stuck in the unit?

Or with the dash piece not popping when putting the interior back together? for some reason mines isn't going in right. Is any modification needed to get it to fit right/
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=449

Just take some pliers and bend the front parts of the brackets a bit outward, takes almost no strength and all of 10 seconds, then line it up like in the pictures.
Deathalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:05 PM   #872
Deathalo

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by inositle View Post
So I ordered this screen protector and got it in today. I cut a rectangle out for the size of the screen and applied it and it looks great and completely masks all the previous scratches. Unfortunately, I am getting absolutely zero touch response

Has anyone else installed a protector successfully? I feel like I can't win with this unit. I've googled for that specific protector and there are only a couple posts about reduced sensitivity in 3000+ reviews.

EDIT: Well this is weird, the unit crashed and when it rebooted everything works. I was actually navigating before by touching w/ 4 fingers and where ever the final 5th finger touched is where it registered. When I was installing the unit a few weeks ago the first time it booted up it also wasn't registering touches... strange.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...eenbooster.com

I actually downloaded this and it seemed to really improve touch response, maybe it was just in my head but see if you guys notice a difference too.

Last edited by Deathalo; 06-19-2014 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Forgot link
Old 06-19-2014, 12:15 PM   #873
Deathalo

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbrew View Post
Fellow Ca-Fi owners - help a brother out!

First - I have a 2014 BRZ Limited.
I have read this thread a number of times. I am having trouble getting the dang thing installed.

The latest failed attempt was that I ordered this:

Amazon.com : Axxess by Metra AX-TOYUSB USB Adaptor to Retain the OE USB in Select Toyota/Lexus Vehicles : Vehicle Audio Video Power Adapters : Car Electronics as linked earlier in the thread.

It doesn't fit the BRZ. Not mine anyway. I was assuming that I would just take the head end of the cable (with the square USB connector) and plug it into the socket on this cable - then plug the standard USB into the CA-FI usb/ipod cable. The BRZ has a squareish connector - not rectangular like this. I even popped the entire USB/Aux assembly out, disconnected the cable and tried to put the adapter onto the connecter panel. No such luck.

Can anyone point me to the correct cable for a BRZ?

I also was told earlier in the thread that I will not have to worry about the power cable for the antenna. True? I won't splice it if I don't have to.

Thanks! I am going on close to a week of having the unit and not being able to use it due to the install. The info is in this thread but there are no really clear install instructions and it appears that the twins have some variations!
So, you and another guy on this thread seemed to have problems with the USB adapter, which is odd since it's literally the easiest part of this whole thing. You plug the squarish big harness part of the adapter into the connector part of the USB wire that goes down to your stock USB port. Then you plug the male USB plug into the usb in on the CA-FI (the one that is paired with the iPod connector), you can also attach a hub. There's no taking apart of the USB/AUX port, it just plugs in. If it's not fitting then you must have got shipped the wrong connector, same with the other guy who posted a picture of something none of us recognized. It should look just like the picture on Amazon I believe. Just return it and get another one shipped to you. IDK which seller you bought from but I bought from Sonic Electronix, Inc, so try them. The BRZ does not need to connect the blue wire for your antennas, just the 2 plastic connectors.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deathalo For This Useful Post:
Fastbrew (06-19-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 01:56 PM   #874
enjoi23
12% Done with the car.

Drives: FRS
Garage
Micro Sd card is stuck, not popping out. Not reading Usb's. Brackets problem fixed though guys thanks!

i could have lived with the USB not working since I could have depended on the SD for music, but I guess I'll have to take it in for warranty :/. Bluetooth is great, but the quality from a USB or SD card really brings out my system.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:22 PM   #875
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
1ghz cpu will choke using torque with high speed bt adapter in fast communications mode and multitasking like music and maps. The nexus7 can barely do it with a dual core.
This is the let down with this unit, why is it so hard to include modern cpu?
It's not the CPU choking torque down, it's the bluetooth. I've run both bluetooth and USB connections to torque on my head unit and when connected VIA USB the refresh rate is easily 5-10 times faster than on bluetooth, and torque has no issues.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xjohnx For This Useful Post:
Prog (06-19-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 02:27 PM   #876
Deathalo

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoi23 View Post
Micro Sd card is stuck, not popping out. Not reading Usb's. Brackets problem fixed though guys thanks!

i could have lived with the USB not working since I could have depended on the SD for music, but I guess I'll have to take it in for warranty :/. Bluetooth is great, but the quality from a USB or SD card really brings out my system.
I thought they said they pay for your shipping costs if it's a defective unit anyway? Also, your SD card is probably not stuck, they're just a bitch to get out, I need pliers to remove mine after it "pops" out, mainly because I just can't get a good grip on the tiny little card.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:47 PM   #877
enjoi23
12% Done with the car.

Drives: FRS
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathalo View Post
I thought they said they pay for your shipping costs if it's a defective unit anyway? Also, your SD card is probably not stuck, they're just a bitch to get out, I need pliers to remove mine after it "pops" out, mainly because I just can't get a good grip on the tiny little card.
I will be reimbursed after they ship it back and everything, but I'd have to wait for it to reach them, have them determine the problem, fix it, and ship it back. Just 150-165 that could be going somewhere else even if it's going to get given back to me at a later time.

Tried that. It's stuck lol. No popping out.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:06 PM   #878
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
It's not the CPU choking torque down, it's the bluetooth. I've run both bluetooth and USB connections to torque on my head unit and when connected VIA USB the refresh rate is easily 5-10 times faster than on bluetooth, and torque has no issues.
Yeah but are you also running things like poweramp and maps/gps data at the same time?
Old 06-19-2014, 03:59 PM   #879
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Quote:
Yeah but are you also running things like poweramp and maps/gps data at the same time?
Yes. Poweramp/Waze/ViperEq/Torque or DashCommand.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:31 PM   #880
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yes. Poweramp/Waze/ViperEq/Torque or DashCommand.
Wow, which BT Adapter are you running and are you using fast com mode?
Old 06-19-2014, 05:36 PM   #881
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Quote:
Wow, which BT Adapter are you running and are you using fast com mode?
i've used 3 different ones. 2 elm327's (one of the bigger ones, one of the smaller transparent blue ones) and the ca-fi official adapter, all with the same results (also similar results on iOS.) Yes, tried fast com mode.

I'll have to try and make a video of it once i finish updating the firmware/reinstalling my apps.
The Following User Says Thank You to xjohnx For This Useful Post:
Prog (06-19-2014)
Old 06-20-2014, 01:58 AM   #882
Moor

Drives: Toyota Sienna
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
any recommendations for backing up apps/settings before applying the cafi firmware update? i'm assuming i'll have to re-root after applying?
Settings => Factory Settings => 0000 => OK => Set the desktop icon => wowBackupRestore => Display. And after to start wowBackupRestore from a desktop.
P.S. If someone does not know - screenshot becomes simultaneous pressing hard buttons <PowerOn> (volume control) and <Back> on 1 second. Screenshots in a .PNG remain in folder SDcard/Pictures/Screenshots
Moor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moor For This Useful Post:
DC2R (06-20-2014), Prog (06-21-2014)