follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-30-2013, 08:16 PM   #799
Cajun

Drives: asphalt fr-s AT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I have a few questions for you guys
1. Are the extra bushings necessary? Anyone install this without ordering the bushings?
2. On their website, it says "offset" yes/no. I'm assuming choosing yes would mean the exhaust tips will be even? If so, why would anyone choose no?
3. The 10% gloss options... Anyone have pics of what those look like? Don't see any on their website.

I've been doing research on exhausts for the last week, and decided between nameless and the greddy sp elite (leaning toward the nameless).
Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #800
sierra

Drives: Skoda Yeti DSG diesel 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun View Post
1. Are the extra bushings necessary? Anyone install this without ordering the bushings?
2. On their website, it says "offset" yes/no. I'm assuming choosing yes would mean the exhaust tips will be even? If so, why would anyone choose no?
3. The 10% gloss options... Anyone have pics of what those look like? Don't see any on their website.

I've been doing research on exhausts for the last week, and decided between nameless and the greddy sp elite (leaning toward the nameless).
1. If the bushings are the rubber mounts then stick with the original ones.
2. The offset means the mufflers are offset in relation to the pipe that enters and leaves them. Get the offset, that's why they changed because it's better.

Last edited by sierra; 01-30-2013 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Spelling
sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sierra For This Useful Post:
Cajun (01-30-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #801
Cajun

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra View Post
1. If the bushings are the rbber mounts then stick with the original ones.
2. The offset means the mufflers are offset in relation to the pipe that enters and leaves them. Get the offset, that's why they changed because it's better.
Thank you!!
I don't know why the offset is an option. Who would want the pipes to be uneven?!
Old 01-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #802
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,346 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

1) The bushings are not neccesary. Stay with the stock one. The bushings are neccesary if either you track your car extensively or you have an old car which bushings are falling appart.

2) The offset was a revision they did which as Sierra correctly states, means that the pipe enters the mufflers in the axleback offset from center. In the NON-Offset version, the pipe enters the muffler exactly in the middle. The difference is that NON-Offset is a little louder from 3-4K and the Offset is quieter at 3-4K and a bit louder from 4-5K (so it kind of shifts the sound from 3-4K to 4-5K which is good to prevent obnoxious sound while cruising around under 4K RPM). The offset is also a little quieter throughout the RPM range.

to choose between both, just think if you want your car quieter (offset) or a little louder (non-offset).

3) I honestly haven't seen a picture of the 10%. Call them or email them about that one.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:46 PM   #803
Cajun

Garage
Ok so that's where I was confused. I thought the offset fixed the uneven tips. Didn't realize it had something to do with the sound. Have they fixed the uneven tips issue?
Old 01-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #804
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Ok so that's where I was confused. I thought the offset fixed the uneven tips. Didn't realize it had something to do with the sound. Have they fixed the uneven tips issue?
I wasn't aware Nameless had an uneven tip issue? From most of the installs I've seen them all fit well.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #805
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,346 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
I don't think any changes have been made to the axleback. I honestly have the uneven tips and it is REALLY hard to notice. Like you have to look at it at certain angle and in a certain way to notice. No one will look at your car and just say wow, that is uneven, you have to make a good effort to notice.

Also, they are coming out with a newer revision axleback that will be bigger piping, so you might want to wait for that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post
I wasn't aware Nameless had an uneven tip issue? From most of the installs I've seen them all fit well.
Well, some people complained about it. If you look at then from the top and side, you can notice one tip is farther out than the other, but at any other angle it is not noticeable. Having said that, Nameless has said that anyone that can't get them aligned to contact them and they will fully resolve the issue.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #806
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
My passenger tip sticks out about a cm or two. It definitely has to do with the hangers and gasket IMO as I fussed with those rubber hangers for a while before giving up and deciding it was good enough. I'm sure there's a proper order of hangers, but I also have wimpy arms so exhaust hangers always piss me off.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #807
FR-S Matt
Banned

Garage
Maybe they'll address the alignment in their 3" axleback. I'm patiently waiting for Jason's update on that as I'm ready to spend my tax return already, lol.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:58 PM   #808
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Maybe they'll address the alignment in their 3" axleback. I'm patiently waiting for Jason's update on that as I'm ready to spend my tax return already, lol.
The official response was that there's variation in the stock mid-pipe. I don't know if they changed their jig, but most people haven't had issues.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #809
Coaster

Drives: Civic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Thank you!!
I don't know why the offset is an option. Who would want the pipes to be uneven?!

Nameless describes the Offset version as

"The muffler is oriented in a dual offset position meaning the perforated tube in the muffler is offset relative to the can vs. being straight through the middle. "

Here is what it sounds like. It is quieter than non Offset version.

Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #810
Cajun

Garage
Yeah I read through many many pages of this thread, and noticed several people mention the issue. Doesn't seem like that big of a deal though.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #811
FR-S Matt
Banned

Garage
I'm hoping to have a midpipe along with the axleback... I really don't like that stock midpipe whether or not it changes horsepower. I'll be really happy with the 2.5" Downpipe to Midpipe to 3" Axleback if that is the route they go. Just awaiting the final mid pipe testing to see if indeed it produces more power on the 3" axleback like it did on the quad system.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #812
Cajun

Garage
Quote:
Will that one be louder or quieter? (in case y'all can't tell, I have no knowledge of this stuff. But I'm a girl so there's my excuse)

Now to decide whether to wait for the new one, get this one now, or wait for the new one and maybe this one will be even cheaper!

I'm basically wanting a deep, non-ricey sound. I'm really not concerned with it being too loud, as long as it doesn't sound like a 2002 Honda Civic with a coffee can exhaust.

I keep listening to sound clips, mainly nameless and greddy sp elite, and the nameless seems louder, which I like.