follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 04-04-2017, 05:02 AM   #7883
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockysnail View Post
I was told to not start the car at all if you've installed a supercharger and still have the original stock tune on the car as it may do damage. You will at least need a generic tune created for your supercharger.

Perhaps the people that said that didn't give me all the details however. I'd play it safe personally and put the tune on first.
At idle the car runs in closed loop and targets 14.7:1 AFR. This is the same whether stock or not. Even at low throttle the same is true. The ECU will just fuel trim as per any requirements. You could drive the car so long as you don't come out of closed loop on the OEM tune.

My battery died when I did my install. Jump started on the OEM tune. One advantage of not swapping the MAP sensor, as that would not start.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:14 AM   #7884
Njjawn

Drives: None
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Well, I ran it. And nothing bad happened, lol.

It idled pretty low, but otherwise all seemed good.
Njjawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:04 PM   #7885
sroby

Drives: 2015 Firestorm 08/05/15
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I am trying to source a boot nipple for my sprintex 210. Am looking for the one that will fit in the back of the charger. I got the hex head plug out with no problem. Its a 5 mm. plug. Does anybody know where I can buy one. Thx Steve
sroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:30 PM   #7886
riboyster

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Do you guys come across bad gas (car) often? Been struggling for about a month. Car has been pulling timing on every hard acceleration and even on average driving.
I've cross-referenced my old logs from when everything was dandy, and my AFR matches, my MAF matches, my calculated load matches, the oil temps match, EVERY PARAMETER IS EXACTLY THE SAME, and somehow my car is detecting knock.

I've gone into the engine bay to check for loose thingies making false positives, everything is locked in. I've gotten fuel from 2 different distributors, both "92" octane.

I refuel my car at 25% remaining every time. How long do you guys think it would take to clear the system of this bad gas? Is there an easy way to purge the tank entirely so I can start fresh?

I have refueled 3 times since initial bad tank

Thanks

Last edited by riboyster; 04-10-2017 at 11:43 PM.
riboyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:53 AM   #7887
Kodename47

@riboyster you're better off running the tank nearer empty otherwise you could be allowing a greater mix % of the poor fuel, which it does sound like. However by a few re-fills I'd have expected that one bad batch should have been mixed enough to a better blend. Maybe a seasonal change or some left in storage?

Are the ambient temps increasing? Could be higher post charge temps as the Sprintex is susceptible to it. You do mention that you're running an aggressive tune....

Kodename 47 DJ:
Old 04-11-2017, 04:22 AM   #7888
riboyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
@riboyster you're better off running the tank nearer empty otherwise you could be allowing a greater mix % of the poor fuel, which it does sound like. However by a few re-fills I'd have expected that one bad batch should have been mixed enough to a better blend. Maybe a seasonal change or some left in storage?

Are the ambient temps increasing? Could be higher post charge temps as the Sprintex is susceptible to it. You do mention that you're running an aggressive tune....
Higher ambients were my initial thought, so to eliminate that possibility I took it for a run earlier tonight at usual temps. I'm in the tropics, so I don't believe they have seasonal fuels. Doesn't get colder than 50F where I live. Car is tuned to run knock free at 85F, and I don't usually boost around above that.

Not too sure man. I think I will run the tank down lower this next time. I just recall having the problem resolve itself before at the next refuel.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:10 PM   #7889
ajcarson11

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (Black)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by riboyster View Post
Higher ambients were my initial thought, so to eliminate that possibility I took it for a run earlier tonight at usual temps. I'm in the tropics, so I don't believe they have seasonal fuels. Doesn't get colder than 50F where I live. Car is tuned to run knock free at 85F, and I don't usually boost around above that.

Not too sure man. I think I will run the tank down lower this next time. I just recall having the problem resolve itself before at the next refuel.
You could purchase an onctane booster than mix it into the tank. I'd imagine that will help out with knock (depending on how bad the original tank of gas was, in terms of fuel octane).

I suspect something more than bad gas if you've refueled 3 times. Maybe pull battery negative terminal for 30 minutes and reattach to cause car to relearn tune?
ajcarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:56 PM   #7890
riboyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcarson11 View Post
You could purchase an onctane booster than mix it into the tank. I'd imagine that will help out with knock (depending on how bad the original tank of gas was, in terms of fuel octane).

I suspect something more than bad gas if you've refueled 3 times. Maybe pull battery negative terminal for 30 minutes and reattach to cause car to relearn tune?
Bought 5 bottles of booster last week, no effect. Reset ecu twice.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:46 PM   #7891
-Willis-86touge

Drives: Stock
Anybody run oft with the 210 kit? Is it possible?
-Willis-86touge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:28 PM   #7892
Kodename47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcarson11 View Post
Maybe pull battery negative terminal for 30 minutes and reattach to cause car to relearn tune?
That won't help anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Willis-86touge View Post
It's possible if you make a tune for it or get Shiv to.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Old 04-11-2017, 08:42 PM   #7893
Docmattic

Drives: GT 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by riboyster View Post
Bunny hop / slight hesitation is a hardware limitation of the kit, not a tuning problem. It happens because the bypass valve is open until certain pressure parameters, resulting in less effective boost.
When it closes it causes a surge of power as the supercharger goes into full boost, which resonate slightly in the drivetrain tension.
Also the valve will flutter if it closes while the motor is under a certain load. Its going to happen regardless of the tune.
So does this mean that if the parameters were changed regarding boost bypass that the charger could hit full boost much earlier in the rev range (say 3.5k for example?). Or, is this something that is not possible?
Docmattic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:54 AM   #7894
Kodename47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docmattic View Post
So does this mean that if the parameters were changed regarding boost bypass that the charger could hit full boost much earlier in the rev range (say 3.5k for example?). Or, is this something that is not possible?
The bypass valve is not software controlled and is only operational when in vacuum.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Old 04-12-2017, 03:21 AM   #7895
riboyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docmattic View Post
You could superglue it closed I suppose. But I'm willing to bet money that you'd cook your SC and sprintex would definitely not cover that in warranty.

Also it already does hit full boost at any rpm. Your throttle just needs to be completely open.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:47 PM   #7896
max20s14

Drives: 14' Raven M/T - 02' is300
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Willis-86touge View Post

also interested in this^
max20s14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 whp better than n/a e85, 2 whp? you're an idiot., 2screwsbetterthan0screw, 65 whp better than na e85, bspt fittings ftl, hate u all me no have sc, im just here for the tags, inorite!, it's no turbo but, only big numbers matter, screwyou, whine sexier than turbo, whines_more_than_your_gf, wts grey market butthurt.