follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 11-11-2014, 01:58 PM   #771
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellslikecurry View Post
Yes I did. Thanks for all your help in this thread!

Going to try that out. I was just curious if the car was safe to drive for now. It's the only car I have access to for the week.
log look reasonable fuel trims high, but afr looks ok. Drive sedately should be ok for short city runs.

Check you have both O2 sensor plugs seated all the way and the black/grey (on out model anyway) 02 plugs not switched
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:40 PM   #772
k.houan

Drives: BRZZZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
looks fine to me

read links below and you will be able to interpret the logs.
Ok thanks! Yeah Im still in the learning process with all this.

Good to hear at WOT and higher rpm's look good, but Ive noticed today that after a fill up at my local propel station my LT fuel trim is wayy high at idle. At idle AFR is 14.69 and LT fuel trim is 18.75. On my last fill up trims got as high as ~15.

Could this just be a different E85 mixture from the station? If so would higher fuel trims indicate less ethanol content?

I understand that I might have to do a MAF scaling. Im just a little intimidated with editing my own tunes.

Most important thing to me is knowing if Im safe to drive with these readings, if not some direction on what I need to do would be greatly appreciated.
k.houan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:59 PM   #773
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.houan View Post
Ok thanks! Yeah Im still in the learning process with all this.

Good to hear at WOT and higher rpm's look good, but Ive noticed today that after a fill up at my local propel station my LT fuel trim is wayy high at idle. At idle AFR is 14.69 and LT fuel trim is 18.75. On my last fill up trims got as high as ~15.

Could this just be a different E85 mixture from the station? If so would higher fuel trims indicate less ethanol content?

I understand that I might have to do a MAF scaling. Im just a little intimidated with editing my own tunes.

Most important thing to me is knowing if Im safe to drive with these readings, if not some direction on what I need to do would be greatly appreciated.
if you want to scale maf you will need to return to petrol

differing ethanol content can cause high trims

if you have cai or aftermarket intake you will likely ned to scale maf.

your trims do seem high lower rpm if all you have is filter it a bit strange for them to be that high.

check for intake/exhaust leaks and maybe clean maf sensor if it is an oiled filter maybe some oil on maf.

were your trims ok on petrol ? and before filter install
Old 11-11-2014, 10:54 PM   #774
k.houan

Garage
Quote:
if you want to scale maf you will need to return to petrol

differing ethanol content can cause high trims

if you have cai or aftermarket intake you will likely ned to scale maf.

your trims do seem high lower rpm if all you have is filter it a bit strange for them to be that high.

check for intake/exhaust leaks and maybe clean maf sensor if it is an oiled filter maybe some oil on maf.

were your trims ok on petrol ? and before filter install
No aftermarket intake, just a dry hks drop in filter so I dont think there is a chance of dirty maf but ill check anyway. Trims were ok on regular gas maybe a little over 10 but still much better than they are with e85.

Will a muffler delete affect anything at all? I just installed a nameless 5" muffled track pipe, so maybe the less restricted exhaust flow can alter trims? Or am I wrong?
Old 11-12-2014, 03:42 AM   #775
steve99
Banned

Quote:
No aftermarket intake, just a dry hks drop in filter so I dont think there is a chance of dirty maf but ill check anyway. Trims were ok on regular gas maybe a little over 10 but still much better than they are with e85.

Will a muffler delete affect anything at all? I just installed a nameless 5" muffled track pipe, so maybe the less restricted exhaust flow can alter trims? Or am I wrong?
trims around 10 on petrol is pretty high no wonder its high in E85.

looks like you need a maf scale when your back on petrol then transfer it to the E85 tune and see how it goes.

you probably only need to do the Closed loop portion ie below 3v.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:45 PM   #776
k.houan

Garage
Quote:
trims around 10 on petrol is pretty high no wonder its high in E85.

looks like you need a maf scale when your back on petrol then transfer it to the E85 tune and see how it goes.

you probably only need to do the Closed loop portion ie below 3v.
Alright I'll try my best to do that. Am I OK to drive around enough to finish off my full tank of e85? Maybe just take it easy on the throttle?
Old 11-12-2014, 01:54 PM   #777
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Alright I'll try my best to do that. Am I OK to drive around enough to finish off my full tank of e85? Maybe just take it easy on the throttle?
should be fine as the high trims are only at low rpm, might be a bit hesitant or rough off idle.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:58 PM   #778
k.houan

Garage
Quote:
should be fine as the high trims are only at low rpm, might be a bit hesitant or rough off idle.
See, that's the weird part. Drives just fine, very smooth and normal idle.

What's the long term effect of driving with such high trims?
Old 11-12-2014, 02:06 PM   #779
steve99
Banned

Quote:
See, that's the weird part. Drives just fine, very smooth and normal idle.

What's the long term effect of driving with such high trims?
at low rpm ist usually just roughness or hesitation, their is only a finite amount of trim 30% but anything above 8-10% really needs sorting out as the ecu applies these trims in bands. so in your lowest band your say =12% so when you transition to next band which might be +2% your AFR is going to change 10%. Those trims are also applied when you go to open loop mode during hard acceleration WOT and can throw your AFR off from whats in the OL Fuel tables. Since its only the lowest band where your off its probably not that noticeable. Once you fix it you will probably notice better/smoother throttle response.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:17 PM   #780
k.houan

Garage
Quote:
at low rpm ist usually just roughness or hesitation, their is only a finite amount of trim 30% but anything above 8-10% really needs sorting out as the ecu applies these trims in bands. so in your lowest band your say =12% so when you transition to next band which might be +2% your AFR is going to change 10%. Those trims are also applied when you go to open loop mode during hard acceleration WOT and can throw your AFR off from whats in the OL Fuel tables. Since its only the lowest band where your off its probably not that noticeable. Once you fix it you will probably notice better/smoother throttle response.
Thanks for the info! So is my muffler delete affecting anything?
Old 11-12-2014, 07:15 PM   #781
tomaszjanczak

Drives: Silver Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the info! So is my muffler delete affecting anything?
Muffler delete will not affect anything because it is after the 2 oxygen sensors.

Any problems with air-fuel ratio or fuel trims are caused by something at or before the O2 sensors which can include vacuum leaks/exhaust leaks(before sensors)/faulty sensors.
tomaszjanczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:51 AM   #782
unlimited86

Drives: s2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
After filling up gas with the stage 1 tune for awhile(91 oct), I've notice the gas meter barely stays on the top line of the gas meter and dips under it with just a few miles of driving. Before the tune, I remember the needle always goes over the top
Full line filling in full tank of gas. Is the sensor off or something? Because I filled it earlier with the empty gas light on and the pump stop at 10.5ish gallons and I was able to squeeze a few more to close to 11 gallon.
unlimited86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 04:38 AM   #783
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlimited86 View Post
After filling up gas with the stage 1 tune for awhile(91 oct), I've notice the gas meter barely stays on the top line of the gas meter and dips under it with just a few miles of driving. Before the tune, I remember the needle always goes over the top
Full line filling in full tank of gas. Is the sensor off or something? Because I filled it earlier with the empty gas light on and the pump stop at 10.5ish gallons and I was able to squeeze a few more to close to 11 gallon.
Are you asking in here because you think it's tune/OFT related?
Because it isn't related at all.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:44 PM   #784
jk86freek

Drives: fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hi Shiv ,

My friend just bought a GT86, we found his ecu is with ZA1JD00C where can i find the defination file or v2.04 i am not sure where to look for to download.

Best regard,
Jk
jk86freek is offline   Reply With Quote