follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Old 02-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #757
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 6,254 Times in 2,673 Posts
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2kphile View Post
Lack of experience equates to being uncomfortable to speak to women about it.
I find talking about human sexuality easy especially with females and sometimes it can turned them on.
- Good point, but he's a Professor so dude needs to man up.

- And that's what I'm saying man. Like I stated before when I talk to certain girls about what they would like to do to other chicks, some of them can get O.D. nasty too just like some dudes.

Education is Important, but Race Cars are more Importanter
Old 02-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #758
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
God, has it been so damn long???

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=23

Because titanium.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #759
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
i wonder what my wife will do to me if she came home from work only to find a cloth full of chloroform on her face, and then wakes up nude on the floor with potato chips and mexican sombreros on her.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:04 PM   #760
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
i wonder what my wife will do to me if she came home from work only to find a cloth full of chloroform on her face, and then wakes up nude on the floor with potato chips and mexican sombreros on her.
Pics plz
Old 02-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #761
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Garage
I'm gonna copy this post from Jalopnik about Manual Trannys so it is immortalized.

Credit goes to the Author.

Ash Ashback's Badasset Song

Tue 21 Feb 2012 11:16 AM

Here's a mega-tl/dr post for you all to read. I wrote it a while back before I realized I'd never write for this site. It's everything I could think of to defend manuals, all at once. So I'll dust it off and share it here:
Automatic transmissions sell themselves to the uninitiated. What better way to build $1,000 into the price of every car sold than to foster a mentality where manuals are cheap, jerky, and quaint relics of the past? Surely you have heard all of these pro-automatic rationales kicked around like a hackney sack:

-My auto can shift just like a manual (and you can also play soccer with a basketball.)
-I never have to pay to replace another clutch (ever paid to replace an auto?)
- My wife/son/brother/hooker can’t drive the car (advantage?)
-Autos are so much easier in stop-and-go traffic (Yeah, but only if ... ok, you got me there.)

The regular readers of this site probably don't need to be sold on the idea of a manual transmission. We often represent the fringe of enthusiast motoring but, whether we like it or not, it's ultimately the others—the mass market—that determines our future automotive choice. With new car manual sales well below a 10% market share (most of that confined to sports cars or econoboxes, for quite opposite reasons), it’s time we all made a push to get manuals back into the mainstream—at least so they don’t disappear from the options list forever.

Modern automatic transmissions (including dual-clutch autos, which are mechanically akin to manuals, but are driven more like automatics) are no doubt marvels of engineering. Many of them are so complex, even the best general mechanics won't touch them, preferring to sub out the work to a tranny shop. Sometimes I wonder how we arrived at the point where we accepted such electrohydromechanical complexity in almost all of our vehicles. The manual just didn't seem that annoying in the first place.

Now that consumers are purchasing newer, more efficient automatics in larger numbers), many analysts fear we may be nearing the end of an era. Even in traditionally manual-dominated Europe, where car economy has always met car enthusiasm, a surge in automatics could portend a full-scale shift in our collective attitude towards cars--maybe not to the extreme where we pit the "pry it from my cold, dead hands" crowd against the Eric Schmidts of the world, but one where another element of joy and connection to tradition is slowly removed, further numbing the experience and commoditizing motoring into just another form of transportation. So was it really that paltry 1-2mpg advantage that kept manuals alive for so many years? Or is there more to it?

Forget the knee-jerk reactions; there are still good reasons for buying a traditional manual transmission, even though they are not always completely obvious or easily explained.

1. Cost Expectations: In almost every car, the manual option is cheaper up front. A clutch will always fail eventually, but usually with some advanced warning. This event can be predicted and saved for ($500-$1500, which is roughly the cost of the automatic option up front). However, automatics often fail unexpectedly, catastrophically, and/or at incredible expense. "No, ma'am, no matter what Car & Driver says, your Corolla wasn't supposed to have a 'Launch Control' system."

2. Emergencies: In the event of unintended acceleration, you have ready access to a clutch pedal and a neutral gear, both of which you already use many times per day. If you want to recreate an alleged case of UA, you’ll have to do it the old-fashioned way: Call 60 Minutes.

3. Proactive Safety: The mentally engaging nature of a manual transmission forces the driver to pay more attention to their actions. While no data bears this out in a formal study, just ask any driver who spends time with both transmissions. Driving, smoking, eating, calling, texting, picking your nose: Choose any two. And do one of them badly. Great, now my nose is bleeding.

4. Efficiency: Manuals still beat the efficiency numbers of all but the most advanced automatics. Manuals also benefit from more immediate drivetrain braking, rather than most auto trannies' tendency to find top gear as quickly as possible, and then hold it all the way down to idle, thus cheating their way to better efficiency numbers.

5. Better in traffic: "Wait, I thought you already conceded this one to the automatics." It depends. For full stop-and-go traffic, automatics can relieve the hassle of constant clutch action. However, with a torquey engine in creeping traffic, manuals do extremely well in 1st or 2nd gear, allowing the driver to make speed corrections with the throttle alone. Automatics rarely perform as well, especially with an unlocked torque converter at low speeds—the very definition of "slushbox".

6. Skill: Power steering, power brakes, ABS, traction control, stability control…with so much already assisted or automated, it’s nice to have one remaining element to differentiate the skilled drivers from the mediocre ones.

7. Skipping gears: Some automatics can do this fairly well, but a true manual is the only way to go instantly from 3rd to 5th (for economy or, in my case, laziness), or 4th to 2nd (for power when exiting a turn or, in my case, laziness).

8. Power/Torque Management: No surprise kick-down. No delayed kick-down. No sluggish 5th gear at 20mph. The gear is where you put it. The throttle is independent of that. In most autos, the tranny and throttle work together like a couple of sloppy 16-year-olds after a bottle of Boone's Farm. With no torque converter to smooth your shifts, you know that you always have a direct connection to the drivetrain whenever you're in gear.

9. Bilateral Involvement: Automatics require one hand and one foot--typically the right. This is fine for people with mobility issues, but why don't we just issue electric wheelchairs and Segways to the public because they're easier? Engaging both sides of your body requires more attentiveness and keeps you from doing things you probably shouldn't. And you can't just let the right side run the show, or else pretty soon you might end up in an unwinnable war against laziness.

10. Innuendo: You can never have enough phallic jokes.

11. Weight: In an age of bloat, do you really need an extra couple hundred pounds following you around everywhere? Think about how much money, time, and effort you would spend to lose that weight from your body. Colin Chapman and Jenny Craig compel you.

12. Cool Factor: A perfectly executed heel-toe downshift. Rolling into a parking spot with the engine already off. Peeling out with even the tiniest of engines. Grinding the 1-2 shift while trying to drag race the oblivious high school girl in the 3-series next to you (assuming you’re a guy…or a girl in a Subaru).

If all of the above have never been a part of your automotive existence, then you've missed out on a lot more than a historical relic--you've missed motoring the way it was intended to be. If we don’t vote with our dollars and influence others to do the same, imagine a world where the simple and effective handbrake is turned into a pedal…or even a button. What? Dammit. Sometimes the best progress is regress.

Edited by Ash Ashback's Badasset Song at 02/21/12 11:23 AM
Old 02-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #762
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Just got a new smart phone and... I have to say it's huge compared to my last one... are we going back to the age where phones were the size of bricks lol

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Old 02-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #763
kanundrum

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 3,016 Times in 1,711 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
Just got a new smart phone and... I have to say it's huge compared to my last one... are we going back to the age where phones were the size of bricks lol

Nexus?
Old 02-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #764
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanundrum View Post
Nexus?
Vivid

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Old 02-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #765
kanundrum

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 3,016 Times in 1,711 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Ah gotcha. Post up some ATT LTE speeds when you get a chance.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:02 PM   #766
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,094 Times in 8,333 Posts
Mentioned: 678 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
One thing I don't like bout long weekend is going back to work & when I get to work, you notice missed a spot where I didn't shave... It's so annoying
Old 02-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #767
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Zup guys I made an iPhone Case and an iPad Sleeve for those BRZ lovers out there

iPad Sleeve

iPhone Case (still being published)
Old 02-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #768
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

^Zazzle.com iirc I have an account there. Used to make tshirt there...
Old 02-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #769
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
^Zazzle.com iirc I have an account there. Used to make tshirt there...
Yeah good site, tho when they see a few of my things selling, they take it off for "copyright infrigment" and take my sales royalty earnings away.

I use Redbubble for tshirts and let me tell you. AMAZING quality stuff they have over there
Old 02-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #770
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopyalien24 View Post
Yeah good site, tho when they see a few of my things selling, they take it off for "copyright infrigment" and take my sales royalty earnings away.

I use Redbubble for tshirts and let me tell you. AMAZING quality stuff they have over there
Thanks, good to know. I'll keep that in mind!

Tags
221whp, :popcorn:, autobahnned, bringbackthebutts, brucelee, chucknorris, cutiepiepoppoppocorn, docking and snoodling, don'tbesadintotheocean, epic funnies, everyoneignoresmyposts, fuck yeah, funny thread tag, go_a_way1 was here, go_a_waycopiedspecialk, hey youse guys!, hoonigans, i am supreme., i like chocolate milk, i like to poop a lot, i like turtles, ichitaco, insertjokehere, invadethistread39erstyle, kr-s have my babies, kr-s is a faaggot, kr-s is a loser, mythbeliever, myunclesaid..., only the strong survive, postheredontbotherashrink, rules_of_nature, sklimo liked it, skylineislyfe, special_k was here, tagageddon 2016, thetagofreason, titsorgtfo, troz, whathappenedtothetags?