follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 04-15-2019, 09:55 AM   #743
RickyBobby

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just curious, has anyone here taken this offer: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...8V772-3049.pdf

Offer ended March 31, 2019. Only good on models affected: 2012-2013 Impreza / 2013 Crosstrek / 2013 BRZ
Is their Guaranteed Trade-in Program (GTP) offer as good as KBB trade-in values?
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:43 AM   #744
Edward_

Drives: 13 ZN6/96 EK4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm one of those who had their engine fail shortly after getting the valve spring recall done.

I had the recall done at Victory Toyota in Seaside, CA, and the car has been sitting at Vancouver Toyota in WA for about 3 weeks. I'm starting to get worried about my options. After speaking with them yesterday, Vancouver's service department said they were not going to cover the repairs, and that this repair isn't going to be covered under warrantee, either. They have been unsuccessfully trying to contact the dealership in CA. It seems like both of these dealerships are trying to avoid responsibility for the repair. The dealership in WA hasn't been able to give me a straight answer about what went wrong, no matter how many different people I talk to or how I try to frame the question. FWIW, my car only has 49k miles. Is anyone else going through similar hoops, or have any advice on how I should proceed? This is my DD, I have no other car, and dropping the 7k or whatever they are going to try to charge me for a rebuild/motor replacement because of someone else's fuck up is out of the question.
Edward_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Edward_ For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (04-17-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 08:59 AM   #745
msaikhan

Drives: frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward_ View Post
I'm one of those who had their engine fail shortly after getting the valve spring recall done.

I had the recall done at Victory Toyota in Seaside, CA, and the car has been sitting at Vancouver Toyota in WA for about 3 weeks. I'm starting to get worried about my options. After speaking with them yesterday, Vancouver's service department said they were not going to cover the repairs, and that this repair isn't going to be covered under warrantee, either. They have been unsuccessfully trying to contact the dealership in CA. It seems like both of these dealerships are trying to avoid responsibility for the repair. The dealership in WA hasn't been able to give me a straight answer about what went wrong, no matter how many different people I talk to or how I try to frame the question. FWIW, my car only has 49k miles. Is anyone else going through similar hoops, or have any advice on how I should proceed? This is my DD, I have no other car, and dropping the 7k or whatever they are going to try to charge me for a rebuild/motor replacement because of someone else's fuck up is out of the question.
You gotta speak to the dealer who performed the recall. The 2nd dealer is not going to cover it, since it's not their fault. Have the 2nd dealer drop your oil pan and check oil pick up screen. Then take pictures of it. If it has bunch of sealant then you got proof that 1st dealer fked up. Try to work it out with 1st dealer, if they doesn't want to fix it, then go complain to Toyota corp. Someone from the 1st dealer will give you a call after you complain to Toyota corp, then try to work things out with that guy which is probably going to be the General manager of the dealer. BUT before all this, try to find out how the 1st dealer messed up, gather up some evidence/proof(clogged oil pick up screen).
msaikhan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to msaikhan For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 09:51 AM   #746
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Have you contacted Toyota Corporate Customer Care?

is you details noted in the registry thread?
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:09 AM   #747
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,098 Times in 2,048 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I got my car back Friday. Yesterday, with 76 miles on it, the engine spun another bearing.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Deorio (04-16-2019), fang_gt86 (04-16-2019), gravitylover (04-17-2019), Gunman (04-16-2019), humfrz (04-16-2019), maslin (04-16-2019), mrg666 (04-16-2019), msaikhan (04-16-2019), Summerwolf (04-16-2019), Tcoat (04-16-2019), Teseo (04-16-2019), tobin (04-16-2019), tomm.brz (04-16-2019), Ultramaroon (04-16-2019), YamahaR86 (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 10:12 AM   #748
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by msaikhan View Post
You gotta speak to the dealer who performed the recall. The 2nd dealer is not going to cover it, since it's not their fault. Have the 2nd dealer drop your oil pan and check oil pick up screen. Then take pictures of it. If it has bunch of sealant then you got proof that 1st dealer fked up. Try to work it out with 1st dealer, if they doesn't want to fix it, then go complain to Toyota corp. Someone from the 1st dealer will give you a call after you complain to Toyota corp, then try to work things out with that guy which is probably going to be the General manager of the dealer. BUT before all this, try to find out how the 1st dealer messed up, gather up some evidence/proof(clogged oil pick up screen).
Agree the second dealer isn't going to do anything for free since they did not cause it.

Even if the pick up isn't clogged there will be a blockage someplace in the system. Unfortunately finding it could involve ripping the whole engine apart. If the pick up is clear than the next place to check is the timing cover. This is where the improperly applied sealant is the most likely to have blocked channels. If it looks good then things get much more difficult to find since the sealant could be restricting flow in any number of channels.

If you get no satisfaction from Toyota Customer Care then call a lawyer. Consultations are usually free and this is a case that they would probably take on without hesitation.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:17 AM   #749
Edward_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-t_240 View Post
Have you contacted Toyota Corporate Customer Care?

is you details noted in the registry thread?
I haven't contacted corportate yet, that's where I'm going if I don't hear anything from the dealer that did that recall. I put my name on the registry the day my motor blew.
The Following User Says Thank You to Edward_ For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 10:19 AM   #750
ka-t_240

Quote:
I haven't contacted corportate yet, that's where I'm going if I don't hear anything from the dealer that did that recall. I put my name on the registry the day my motor blew.
I would not wait, get them involved today. Especially being you are now a couple hundred miles from the dealer that performed the work. They may authorize the dealer it is at now to do some diagnostics to see what happened and cover that. Then discuss how to fix you car based on those results.

It may be more economical for the current dealer to fix vs shipping the car back and forth in a non operational status.

Also - have you directly contact the recall dealer?
The Following User Says Thank You to ka-t_240 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 10:20 AM   #751
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
I got my car back Friday. Yesterday, with 76 miles on it, the engine spun another bearing.
Geeez dude how, just how? Maybe it is you!
You have been very reasonable about all this but if there is any one person that is entitled to scream it is you. What is your plan? Engine #3?
God this sucks too hear.
DarkPira7e (04-16-2019), gravitylover (04-17-2019), humfrz (04-16-2019), Summerwolf (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 10:21 AM   #752
ka-t_240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Agree the second dealer isn't going to do anything for free since they did not cause it.

Even if the pick up isn't clogged there will be a blockage someplace in the system. Unfortunately finding it could involve ripping the whole engine apart. If the pick up is clear than the next place to check is the timing cover. This is where the improperly applied sealant is the most likely to have blocked channels. If it looks good then things get much more difficult to find since the sealant could be restricting flow in any number of channels.

If you get no satisfaction from Toyota Customer Care then call a lawyer. Consultations are usually free and this is a case that they would probably take on without hesitation.
Sometimes paying the lawyer an hour or two to make some calls and write a letter will get results. However, this should be the last thing to do after no resolution from the dealer and Toyota.
The Following User Says Thank You to ka-t_240 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 10:33 AM   #753
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-t_240 View Post
Sometimes paying the lawyer an hour or two to make some calls and write a letter will get results. However, this should be the last thing to do after no resolution from the dealer and Toyota.
As I said "If you get no satisfaction..."

I am generally very much against starting legal action in cases such as this and have constantly attempted to support going through the proper channels but when those channels do not work then it is time to escalate things. The failures are from a known cause and the fact that they updated the instructions three times now means that Toyota/Subaru corporate recognizes the cause. The dealers are independent of corporate but they still need to be held accountable for their screw ups so if legal action is the last straw it needs to be considered. Nobody should have to pay $7,000 to have an engine replaced because a dealer will not acknowledge they failed in the repair.
atomicalex (04-16-2019), ka-t_240 (04-16-2019), mswbrz (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 11:43 AM   #754
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Whoa...so I guess you get two lines in the spreadsheet now?
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gunman For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (04-16-2019), Tcoat (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 12:43 PM   #755
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,573 Times in 18,956 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Un-fucking-believable
Old 04-16-2019, 01:07 PM   #756
Edward_

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaikhan View Post

Got pictures back from the dealer. There are pics of the block as well, but I'm assuming this is the smoking gun I'm looking for? I had to resize the image, but there's a ton of grey/blackish jank on and near this filter.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Edward_ For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (04-17-2019), Tcoat (04-16-2019)

Tags
brz, failure, frs, i cant even, j02, recall, so much glue