follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

View Poll Results: Do you have chirping (cricket) noise during idle once the car is warmed up?
Yes (Please only vote after you have 300 miles or more on the odometer) 3,100 85.21%
No (Please only vote after you have 300 miles or more on the odometer) 538 14.79%
Voters: 3638. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 08-15-2012, 12:00 AM   #701
sierra

Drives: Skoda Yeti DSG diesel 4x4
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
With all due respect, you have given an awful lot of advice regarding what other people should put in their cars, and you have spoken with abundant authority on the subject, and yet you do not even own one of these cars, nor do you have any firsthand experience with one. I wish you would disclose this before posting each and all of your future statements. Just begin by saying, "I don't have a car, but here's what you guys should do with your cars." 'Kay?
I've been upfront and simply repeated the same thing.

Others have tried this out to solve the chirping and reported their results which have been positive without any exceptions, unless I missed something?

My suggestion is based on my experience with my car, as explained more than once and is also based on research of other different vehicles that have used it, through forums like this. Anyone can research that information as I did.
I am pleased it has helped those that tried it and if my 86, when it arrives, develops the chirp I wont hesitate to use the same solution.
sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:22 AM   #702
Marrk

Drives: Honda Fit
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra View Post
I've been upfront and simply repeated the same thing.

Others have tried this out to solve the chirping and reported their results which have been positive without any exceptions, unless I missed something?

My suggestion is based on my experience with my car, as explained more than once and is also based on research of other different vehicles that have used it, through forums like this. Anyone can research that information as I did.
I am pleased it has helped those that tried it and if my 86, when it arrives, develops the chirp I wont hesitate to use the same solution.

As long as we don't lose sight of the fact that you have no firsthand experience with this car, and that you have never added any oil to the fuel of your own GT86, I'm sure that everyone will be happy to consider your expertise for what it is.

By the way, your gospel of adding oil to the fuel has been heard loud and clear. How many more posts you think you need to devote to it?
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:40 AM   #703
sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
As long as we don't lose sight of the fact that you have no firsthand experience with this car, and that you have never added any oil to the fuel of your own GT86, I'm sure that everyone will be happy to consider your expertise for what it is.

By the way, your gospel of adding oil to the fuel has been heard loud and clear. How many more posts you think you need to devote to it?
I find it hard to believe after all your rules that I should declare I still have my GTS 86 on order etc and am therefore not qualified to comment as an 86 owner would, that you drive a Honda Fit whatever that is?

Please, contribute something positive and stop moaning.

Last edited by sierra; 08-15-2012 at 01:52 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sierra For This Useful Post:
Marrk (08-15-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 07:45 AM   #704
kharn83

Drives: S15 Silvia
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie4299 View Post
Does the gasoline in Australia have ethanol in it? I can't remember whether or not any Australian owners have complained of this issue and this thread is getting too big to pinpoint one.
Hi Chewie,

a good question you raise, as an owner of a 86 Manual, with 800KM on the clock, I was in my garage and put the driver window down and could hear a sound similar to crickets chirping similar to that on the video (noticeable at idle with ac on or off)

ive been running the car since new on 98 Octane 100% petrol, no ethanol, and yes it is apparent now.

at some stage when i have time i'll probably open the hood and have a listen to hear how loud it is with the bonnet up

but in the mean time, im thinking i'll source some 2stroke low ash oil to add in small quantity to make the sound go away.

hopefully the adding of the 2 stroke oil wont cause any issues down the line.. but again hopefully it will be in a small enough amount that it shouldnt.. i hope.. lol
kharn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #705
sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharn83 View Post
Hi Chewie,

a good question you raise, as an owner of a 86 Manual, with 800KM on the clock, I was in my garage and put the driver window down and could hear a sound similar to crickets chirping similar to that on the video (noticeable at idle with ac on or off)

ive been running the car since new on 98 Octane 100% petrol, no ethanol, and yes it is apparent now.

at some stage when i have time i'll probably open the hood and have a listen to hear how loud it is with the bonnet up

but in the mean time, im thinking i'll source some 2stroke low ash oil to add in small quantity to make the sound go away.

hopefully the adding of the 2 stroke oil wont cause any issues down the line.. but again hopefully it will be in a small enough amount that it shouldnt.. i hope.. lol
That's thrown a spanner into the ethanol theory!
It can't be the heat here either because it's winter.
The more this goes on the more it seems like a problem that might get ignored unless it develops into something more tangible than just an irritating noise. It can only get worse when it starts to cook here.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #706
Chewie4299
Spaceman

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra View Post
That's thrown a spanner into the ethanol theory!
It can't be the heat here either because it's winter.
The more this goes on the more it seems like a problem that might get ignored unless it develops into something more tangible than just an irritating noise. It can only get worse when it starts to cook here.
Not necessarily.

It still seems rather likely that it's the e10 in the US and Canada that is causing this.

Some gases in Australia could have other additives that also contribute that isn't ethanol. Or perhaps the regulations in Australia don't require any special notifications if there is an ethanol blend in use.
Chewie4299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #707
sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie4299 View Post
Not necessarily.

It still seems rather likely that it's the e10 in the US and Canada that is causing this.

Some gases in Australia could have other additives that also contribute that isn't ethanol. Or perhaps the regulations in Australia don't require any special notifications if there is an ethanol blend in use.
Yes, ethanol seems to be the culprit in the US and it could be the additives used to get the high octane here. BP has a reputation for the best high octane petrol and high cetane diesel, so perhaps someone can try that to see if it stays quiet?
I'm pretty sure that any ethanol blend has to be shown at the pump and is very rare.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #708
sega_102

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I wanted to confirm that low ash oil stops the chirping. I put between 1-2 ounces in with a full tank of gas and haven't heard it since.
sega_102 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sega_102 For This Useful Post:
sierra (08-16-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #709
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sega_102 View Post
I wanted to confirm that low ash oil stops the chirping. I put between 1-2 ounces in with a full tank of gas and haven't heard it since.
+1, just tried it this morning and she's idling quietly now after a spirited run back and forth to the office.

Filled up and put in ~2oz from a 3oz bottle of this:

I got the 32oz bottle too to keep filling the little 3oz bottle back up and keep it in the trunk.

Still patiently hoping for a TSB for this soon with a revised DI fuel pump (or whatever is necessary) to fix the chirp for good.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
sierra (08-16-2012)
Old 08-17-2012, 01:54 AM   #710
Realm

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mine just started around 320 miles.. got the car 11AUG.

I found an Ethenol Free 93 Octane "mom & pop" type gas station about 10 miles from me. (hopefully it's good fuel) Still trying to burn off all the Ethenol gas.. got it down to 1/2 tank before fueling there.

Anyway, I put the Lucas treatment in the tank (just half bottle) and chirps went away.

I'll never put Oil in the tank like a lot of people seem to be doing.

Hopefully they have a fix soon.
Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:48 AM   #711
kuma

Drives: Whiteout FR-S MT
Went to the dealership(Northridge Toyota), saw one of the techs rolling his eyes back like "oh man another one is here to complain about the same problem" and they gave me the answer that Toyota/Subaru is aware of it and that they are working on it. They said it's "normal" which I told the tech that that was bullsh*t because a high pitched noise is far from normal.

Anyway, they said it's safe to drive and it shouldn't cause any problems(again called bullsh*t). This is along side with the A/C compressor chirping too.

Hopefully this won't be a problem when I take my FR-S out for some autox at the end of the month.

There is no ETA on the fix. Probably have to wait another 3-6 months for them to fix it...
kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kuma For This Useful Post:
Marrk (08-17-2012)
Old 08-17-2012, 04:29 AM   #712
sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realm View Post
Anyway, I put the Lucas treatment in the tank (just half bottle) and chirps went away.

If you used this stuff, it is oil according to the site.

"Lucas fuel treatment, upper cylinder lubricant."

"A blend of super slick oils"

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...catid=2&iid=26

Low ash or ash free is very important. I couldn't find that on their site?
Old 08-17-2012, 10:31 AM   #713
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realm View Post

I found an Ethenol Free 93 Octane "mom & pop" type gas station about 10 miles from me. (hopefully it's good fuel) Still trying to burn off all the Ethenol gas.. got it down to 1/2 tank before fueling there.

Hopefully they have a fix soon.
Unfortunately I can't get ethanol free gas anywhere around me. E10 93 octane gas everywhere.

Can you specify which Lucas treatment you used?? There are a couple different ones being discussed in this thread. There is the ""Lucas fuel treatment, upper cylinder lubricant" that Seirra just mentioned, and there is also "Lucas Safeguard Ethanol Fuel Conditioner with Stabilizers", which I don't think anyone here has tried yet and reported back on.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #714
Smokinbuffalo
BRZ Owner

Drives: SWP Ltd MT BRZ, Scion xA
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
My car has been chirping loudly. Last night I ran the tank dry and filled up with ethanol free gas. The chirping has seemingly disappeared after about 10 miles.