follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List
go_a_way1, MisterSheep

Old 07-14-2015, 05:04 PM   #687
Monogram

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
The F is ~400lbs heavier than the M so I'd venture to say it is quite portlier than the M.

Viper: It was never given the handling capabilities for the power it had. Recent models are better but outside of the ACR edition the handling capabilities do not match its peers.

Z06 is a huge success and these things sell like hotcakes.

I'd say that if they could drop 300lbs off the RCF it would be just about perfect.
This has been stated before, but there are always trade-off's. If the RC F were to be built 300-400 pounds lighter, something has to be sacrificed. In the end, it might be a lower crash rating, $20,000.00 cost increase, ride quality, etc. none of these may matter to some, but each matters to someone. This car is fantastic for a given audience, and if someone wants what this car cannot deliver, there are always other choices. Personally I see Corvettes, Mustangs, Porches, BMW's, Mercedes, around every corner. I personally have a hard time distinguishing one model in the product line from another. At least at this point in time, there is no argument that the RC F is unique. In all of my travels, I've only run across one other, and it was not a carbon edition.
Monogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:15 PM   #688
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
It was on my list of potentials when I was car shopping.

At the time though I could not find a dealer that would order one (or let me order one) the way I wanted it to keep the cost reasonable.

So it had to be scratched off the list.

The last 4 prior vehicles I had owned had come from the Toyota family and I was hoping to stay "in the family".
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:40 AM   #689
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monogram View Post
Personally I see Corvettes, Mustangs, Porches, BMW's, Mercedes, around every corner. I personally have a hard time distinguishing one model in the product line from another. At least at this point in time, there is no argument that the RC F is unique. In all of my travels, I've only run across one other, and it was not a carbon edition.
Really? I've seen plenty of RCFs around here. Give it time, they will be more common in the next couple of years. It's only 1 year old.

I'm glad that Lexus has started making more exciting cars, but it's not what I would buy if I had that kind of budget. I think it's great for people who need a luxury coupe that is fast and reliable though.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:30 PM   #690
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
It's a nice looking car I just don't care for it though. Its weight alone is enough for me to steer clear of it. If I was shopping for a V8 coupe I would rather get a C7 Z51 over it in a heartbeat as it weighs 600 lbs less and obviously sits much lower also.

The Vette looks like it would feel like a bigger FR-S to me but with lots of torque and power while the RC-F reminds me of a luxurious muscle car with sleeker styling than most muscle coupes.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:06 PM   #691
jdmblood

Drives: white subaru brz
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
yes we get it. its a heavy car. but damn she so seyyyyyy
Attached Images

jdmblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:57 PM   #692
f0rge
head of infinite swagger

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Garage
I just don't get what Toyota was aiming for with this car?

For the same price as an M4 you get a slower, uglier, heavier car and you can't even get a manual. I guess if you really had to have a V8...and for some reason didn't want a faster/nicer C63 coupe...

I'm sure it's a good car on it's own, in a vacuum, but that's not how cars are compared these days.
2013 Ultramarine FR-S 6MT - Car Journal - SOLD
2004 AlpineWhite M3 6MT - SOLD
f0rge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:59 PM   #693
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
It's a nice looking car I just don't care for it though. Its weight alone is enough for me to steer clear of it. If I was shopping for a V8 coupe I would rather get a C7 Z51 over it in a heartbeat as it weighs 600 lbs less and obviously sits much lower also.

The Vette looks like it would feel like a bigger FR-S to me but with lots of torque and power while the RC-F reminds me of a luxurious muscle car with sleeker styling than most muscle coupes.
The Vette remarkably does feel like a bigger FR-S.

Seating position, height, cabin space (front area only in FR-S) are all not far from an FR-S.

Yes you can feel the extra weight but it is not terrible especially when you get 260 more HP to compensate for it.

Biggest difference is the clutch. The Vettes clutch is much more firm and springy, sort of "Pops". Took some adjusting for me after coming from the FR-S.

My Z51 suspension is very very stiff and there is practically zero body lean/roll.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tennisfreak For This Useful Post:
SUB-FT86 (07-16-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 03:19 PM   #694
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by f0rge View Post

For the same price as an M4 you get a slower, uglier, heavier car and you can't even get a manual. I guess if you really had to have a V8...and for some reason didn't want a faster/nicer C63 coupe...

I'm sure it's a good car on it's own, in a vacuum, but that's not how cars are compared these days.
Looks are subjective. Exclusivity. I see M3/M4's almost daily and have never seen an RCF or even a RC350 on the street.
Slower? by how much? a tenth or two? if that? The rare chance a RFC will see a M4 on the street... step on the gas a little earlier.
Yes heavier. So what? It's probably super comfy.
Most people today don't want to shift, and autos are faster.
Reliability is most likely better and cost to own is probably less.
99.9% of the time you aren't on the track and most owners wouldn't take their expensive GT machine to the track. It's not a track car.
They needed to bring a coupe back in their lineup and having a flagship car makes sales for the lower end cars. I see F-sport 250/350's often and rarely see an ISF. Same idea.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:46 PM   #695
jdmblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by f0rge View Post

Just to be clear on the whole manual thing, I went to my local beamer dealer ( ), and they did not have any manual m cars on the lot.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:47 PM   #696
jdmblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
Looks are subjective. Exclusivity. I see M3/M4's almost daily and have never seen an RCF or even a RC350 on the street.
Slower? by how much? a tenth or two? if that? The rare chance a RFC will see a M4 on the street... step on the gas a little earlier.
99.9% of the time you aren't on the track and most owners wouldn't take their expensive GT machine to the track. It's not a track car.
They needed to bring a coupe back in their lineup and having a flagship car makes sales for the lower end cars. I see F-sport 250/350's often and rarely see an ISF. Same idea.

I see f80 m3 and m4s at least twice a week. Ive seen an rcf on the street only twice. And ive only seen an isf around 6 times
Old 07-15-2015, 03:51 PM   #697
f0rge
head of infinite swagger

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
Well you didn't really make a case for the RCF other than that no one is buying them so they're rare. Don't see many C63 coupes either.

I guess if everyone bought the "best" car the world would be pretty boring.
2013 Ultramarine FR-S 6MT - Car Journal - SOLD
2004 AlpineWhite M3 6MT - SOLD
f0rge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:45 PM   #698
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9A3eY8PRtQ[/ame]
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sideways&Smiling For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (07-15-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 10:28 PM   #699
jdmblood

Already been posted.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:38 PM   #700
jdmblood

hows everyone feeling about the new 2.0t power plant that seems to be going into every single one of Lexus' models?
The Following User Says Thank You to jdmblood For This Useful Post:
tennisfreak (08-14-2015)

Tags
:popcorn:, fugly, lexus, lexus is-f, rc-f, rcf, tagme, v-8, vossen