follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 08-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #57
whyreeto

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
btw is this of any relevance here at all? i really don't wanna try this lol

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13941
whyreeto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whyreeto For This Useful Post:
Marrk (08-10-2012)
Old 08-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #58
sho

Drives: s2000
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyreeto View Post
hey tibsy92, what u said previously in page 2, i HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AS YOU! i got the car 2 days ago, a thunder silver MT as well....

to be honest i think I'm just turning a blind eye now, I've driven 128KM and i started to notice it from 60km, i really hope its just the fuel, maybe the dealer used e10 instead when he told me he used v-power....

today, i drove approx 70-80km, what i found particularly interesting was that, the knocking sound after shifting (half second) and rattling sound (2 seconds max) STOPS occurring after 20mins of driving....

i've also noticed that if you release the clutch EXTRA SLOWLY after you have clutched in, the chances of that ugly knocking sound reduces....give that a try....(I'm starting to think this is just a driving behaviour?)

however i still can't justify why there is a rattling noise?
that rattle does it sound like a metal sound? like ball bearings in a coke can?

I think either way if anyone starts to notice some odd sounds then your best bet is to head down to your dealership and tell them about the sound and let them diagnose the problem and get it sorted out. Most likely its the same sound BUT they should be able to tell you what it is

feel free to come sunday for the sound test meet
sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #59
tibsy92

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Thunder Silver MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho View Post
that rattle does it sound like a metal sound? like ball bearings in a coke can?

I think either way if anyone starts to notice some odd sounds then your best bet is to head down to your dealership and tell them about the sound and let them diagnose the problem and get it sorted out. Most likely its the same sound BUT they should be able to tell you what it is

feel free to come sunday for the sound test meet
Yeah that's pretty much the sound when accelerating heavily..
Yeah I'm coming to the meet haha I posted it up there. Hopefully this time we'll have a few more colours than 80% white :P

tibsy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #60
kharn83

Drives: S15 Silvia
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibsy92 View Post
Yeah that's pretty much the sound when accelerating heavily..
Yeah I'm coming to the meet haha I posted it up there. Hopefully this time we'll have a few more colours than 80% white :P
i have a mild rattling sound on acceleration beyond say 50% throttle most noticeable at the 2000 to 3500rpm band... seems to go away above this rpm or if i only put throttle at say 25%.. to me it sounds like the aural induction connection or pipe might be loose and its rattling around...

gonna get it checked at my first 1000km service, will let u know what they say
kharn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #61
sho

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharn83 View Post
i have a mild rattling sound on acceleration beyond say 50% throttle most noticeable at the 2000 to 3500rpm band... seems to go away above this rpm or if i only put throttle at say 25%.. to me it sounds like the aural induction connection or pipe might be loose and its rattling around...

gonna get it checked at my first 1000km service, will let u know what they say
i should of read this before replying to your pm hahaha
but thats my sound
Old 08-13-2012, 02:11 AM   #62
Loki556

Drives: RA23
So whats the concensus on the issue after the Sunday meet?
Loki556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:27 AM   #63
sho

it appears that the service center is right where they advise me to hold tight and wait for toyota to sort the problem which most likely be a revised map?
Old 08-13-2012, 02:37 AM   #64
tibsy92

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Thunder Silver MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki556 View Post
So whats the concensus on the issue after the Sunday meet?
there aint much to it.. all sounded same.. except mine- thanks to exhaust and intake..
but honestly as i mentioned in the other post "i dunno if its pinging or just applying a heavy load on the accelerator after releasing clutch.. if you depress the clutch slowly and finely accelerate it isnt heard.. heard when you release the clutch and quickly accelerate or the rpm meter is around 2-3k and you accelerate hence applying a heavy load to accelerate on a lower rev.. if you shift down and accelerate it isnt heard tho..."

no one else can really hear it.. @86drift also said he tried replicating it and coouldnt get it

maybe its only sho's 86 that has it.. or an actual issue.. so yeah probs a new map.. because theres a really bad torque dip low on rpm band which may be causing the ping...

Quote:

anyways I'm wondering if cricket and rattling sounds are the same thing?
because for me, its either a ratting sound (usually during acceleration) or a knocking sound (clutch in).

and btw, for rattle under heavy acceleration caused fuel pump to vibrate against body, is it dangerous to the car? and speaking about that, the cricket/rattling sound is pissing me off hard, cuz the acceleration sound vroooooom sounds so nice by itself...the cricket/rattling sound is just a show stealer fml

nah both different.. the knocking sound when putting clutch in is in my opinion just the clutch engaging which is similar to other manuals ive driven..

fuel pump vibrating - apparently wasnt dangerous as it was insulated around just too short and was touching the body and insulation.. still never understood it.. they fixed anyway but that was an issue on my vw not this one..
the cricket sound is normal as on all DS-4.. so really i think were all just being a little paranoid as its our new pride and joy but most are normal anyway

tibsy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:31 AM   #65
whyreeto

"i dunno if its pinging or just applying a heavy load on the accelerator after releasing clutch.. if you depress the clutch slowly and finely accelerate it isnt heard.. heard when you release the clutch and quickly accelerate or the rpm meter is around 2-3k and you accelerate hence applying a heavy load to accelerate on a lower rev.. if you shift down and accelerate it isnt heard tho..."

TIBSY BROOO, i cannot describe it better than what you just wrote...i am having exactly what you wrote bro....and again i hope toyota can bring something out to rectify this, that knock does scare the shit out of me and i do wanna accelerate hard without needing to hear that rattle....FML
Old 08-13-2012, 04:40 AM   #66
sho

whyreeto.. don't hope but bring your car in and bring it to their attention
The Following User Says Thank You to sho For This Useful Post:
whyreeto (08-13-2012)
Old 08-13-2012, 05:08 AM   #67
Panman

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho View Post
whyreeto.. don't hope but bring your car in and bring it to their attention

QFT - Guys your cars are pinging/knocking like bastards. Internet diagnosis is no substitute for getting your dealership on it ASAP.

Subie engines (Turbo and Non-Turbo) are well known for pinging - I think I owned the only non-pinging STI two door in Australia - the rest of them that I saw pinged like Iron Man dropping a nut. Atmo Imprezas weren't that much better.
Panman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Panman For This Useful Post:
sho (08-13-2012), whyreeto (08-13-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 11:05 PM   #68
whyreeto

hey guys, just went to the dealers and ask them to test drive the car, replicating the similar situations i have was rather hard as i found that the warmer the engine, (i went 40km to my dealer from my house) the less chances the rattling/pinging occur....

nevertheless, there was SLIGHT rattling though when the dealer accelerated, he bloody went 110 on the side streets of para road with me.....he explained that it was the extractors (headers) working...and apparantly 86 has a bigger header...further, he also said cold starts of the car amplifies that slight rattle sound as well....the warmer it gets the less it would occur

for me, i find pinging and rattling to be different, pinging only has occured to me 2-3 times and i was unable to replicate that...

for a slight knock when changing gears, he was telling me that the rear differentials were working in and apparently, the slight knock happened because i didnt push the gear stick further enough or hard enough....i dont get this thou lol, my car terminologies are rather weak...

what do you guys think? im leaning towards the fact that im just a little over worried lol, i guess its time to enjoy
The Following User Says Thank You to whyreeto For This Useful Post:
Funky Fresh (08-16-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 11:42 PM   #69
Nardi330

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
i don't notice pinging on my car but there is small drivetrain sound when shifting gear etc. i don't believe that's the diff working as it occurs in straight line. it usually happens when i try to shift gears quickly, particularly 1st.

i have some bush/mount on order and i hope they will help this issue.
Nardi330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:52 PM   #70
sho

Quote:
for me, i find pinging and rattling to be different

I know what you mean about pinging and rattling to be different.. well its suppose to be different right? lol

But to me pinging sounds like a metal rattling or like ballbearings in a coke can? But not sure where the term ping came from to describe a noise that doesn't sound like ping to me?

Anyways I called up this morning to the service centre to get an update on my engine ping case and the guy on the phone said that he will have to get a senior tech to call me back as he doesn't have my file etc...
So I recieved a call later during the day by the senior tech and he informed me that toyota and subby are looking at the pinging problem together as its occuring across the board. He didn't have a final solution as yet and isn't sure of when exactly this issue will be resovled and will follow up with the toyota rep today and get back to me with more info..

I wonder if there is a way of finding out what exactly is happening with cases without asking the guys at the service centre .. would be nice if they had some sort of online case tool lol

lately, i've just been cranking up the tunes to not hear the ping lol