follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 07-12-2014, 07:09 PM   #6623
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Drives: Edelbrock Equipped - Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,683 Times in 581 Posts
Mentioned: 403 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
Interested on your opinion of the ESC if you had a bit of seat time with it?

Of course remembering the money and time invested into purchasing and installing this kit.
The kit is definitely an interesting option for people. There is so much to think about in such a questions as you have stated. How and where you drive the car, what you expect from a vehicle with FI and the capitol you have to put into it. It all comes into play when choosing an option.

As for a stepping stone in the FI world with the 86 platform it is great way to dive in and see what the true potential of the vehicle might be and I am sure reselling it, it would not lose much value. Definitely a great option for anyone interested in a safe and reliable way to get into making more power over a weekend, a couple friends and some beer.

As for the way the system works, for what it is and price point, it is great but there are some aspects I would love to see improved on, and do not think it would take much except some serious testing. But I am no electrician so I could be completely off my rocker and these might be harder to achieve than I think.

1. Can there be a faster response time on the supercharger itself, so that it is more of an instant hit, like flooring a V8 engine. I only bring this up because the Innovate kit is nearly instant response and I would think you could get that from an electric motor though it might draw some serious amperage to do so. Maybe that is the factor in the equation...

2. Can the motor increase with RPM's in order to maintain a steady boost across the board? I love the low end, but it needs a little more top end. Though not sure if this would drain the batteries or overheat something? If so maybe a drag mode for short bursts and then shut down for recharging.

I think if those two factors could be adjusted you would have an absolute killer package at a bleeding nose price. As it sits it is definitely a good kit and something I will keep my eye on.

Cheers,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning
DeliciousTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
Fast_Freddy (07-13-2014), raven1231 (07-12-2014)
Old 07-12-2014, 07:16 PM   #6624
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Just so I understand completely, the tune on Neal's car is designed to work with all forced induction systems? You don't see anything wrong with that?
The actual tune on Neals car has been in development over the past year on many forced induction cars. Anything from 20+ pounds of boost all the way down to 1 pound of boost. His car was used to refine the area we needed for extremely low boost and no I do not see a problem in that. Thanks for asking.

Cheers,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning
Old 07-12-2014, 07:41 PM   #6625
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousTuning View Post
The actual tune on Neals car has been in development over the past year on many forced induction cars. Anything from 20+ pounds of boost all the way down to 1 pound of boost. His car was used to refine the area we needed for extremely low boost and no I do not see a problem in that. Thanks for asking.

Cheers,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning
The reason I bring up the one size fits all concern is that a highly boosted car isn't tuned to make max power at every boost level. In big boost cars, low boost levels are often tuned to allow the engine to transition from low load to high load nicely and cleanly. Often you run it will less ignition timing through these transitory load ranges to prevent the onset of knock. Whereas low boost level on a car that only runs low boost, is tune for max power (more timing). This also means quite rich. Looking at the dyno graph, Neals' car is running significantly leaner and making less power through most of the rev band compared to the OFT OTS tune. This power loss is typical of running leaner than desirable. AFR graph certainly shows that as well.

How much does the Flash and GO tune deviate from a custom tune? Would a custom tune run richer?
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:19 PM   #6626
gtfapollo

Drives: Velocity Orange
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
gtfapollo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gtfapollo For This Useful Post:
Boofneenee (07-12-2014), raven1231 (07-12-2014), Target70 (07-13-2014)
Old 07-12-2014, 08:21 PM   #6627
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
The kit is definitely an interesting option for people. There is so much to think about in such a questions as you have stated. How and where you drive the car, what you expect from a vehicle with FI and the capitol you have to put into it. It all comes into play when choosing an option.

As for a stepping stone in the FI world with the 86 platform it is great way to dive in and see what the true potential of the vehicle might be and I am sure reselling it, it would not lose much value. Definitely a great option for anyone interested in a safe and reliable way to get into making more power over a weekend, a couple friends and some beer.

As for the way the system works, for what it is and price point, it is great but there are some aspects I would love to see improved on, and do not think it would take much except some serious testing. But I am no electrician so I could be completely off my rocker and these might be harder to achieve than I think.

1. Can there be a faster response time on the supercharger itself, so that it is more of an instant hit, like flooring a V8 engine. I only bring this up because the Innovate kit is nearly instant response and I would think you could get that from an electric motor though it might draw some serious amperage to do so. Maybe that is the factor in the equation...

2. Can the motor increase with RPM's in order to maintain a steady boost across the board? I love the low end, but it needs a little more top end. Though not sure if this would drain the batteries or overheat something? If so maybe a drag mode for short bursts and then shut down for recharging.

I think if those two factors could be adjusted you would have an absolute killer package at a bleeding nose price. As it sits it is definitely a good kit and something I will keep my eye on.

Cheers,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning
All good questions and ones that have been asked a few times (for good reason).

1. There are different ramp rate curves that the electric motor can abide by. What most customers want is a somewhat linear ramp so that the cars handling doesn't get upset. If the ramp rate was changed you could be in a scenario where you went from 110ft of torque to 200tq in about 100ms....this very hard on the electronics not to mention the car and the entire drive train. Now when it comes to actual response rate there is some electrical delay between the WOT switch engaging and the controller telling the electric motor to go to 100 percent. This is typically about 400ms....this is not something that will change as it is electrical and not mechanically linked to the engine. That being said...the "turbo lag" if you will call it that is 400ms regardless of the efficiency zone you are in.....which is a big plus compared to a turbo car where there is exponentially longer turbo lag at lower rpm.

2. The motor cannot increase in rpm to maintain boost. Increasing in rpm means drawing more power which has to be accompanied by more power in the controller. Controllers get bigger and more expensive and right now that increase the price out of feasibility.... Will it happen in the future as things evolve, probably yes.

Thanks for your questions and great contribution to the thread.
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (07-12-2014), nlowell (07-12-2014), Sojhinn (07-12-2014), WRB5titch (07-12-2014)
Old 07-12-2014, 08:22 PM   #6628
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
The reason I bring up the one size fits all concern is that a highly boosted car isn't tuned to make max power at every boost level. In big boost cars, low boost levels are often tuned to allow the engine to transition from low load to high load nicely and cleanly. Often you run it will less ignition timing through these transitory load ranges to prevent the onset of knock. Whereas low boost level on a car that only runs low boost, is tune for max power (more timing). This also means quite rich. Looking at the dyno graph, Neals' car is running significantly leaner and making less power through most of the rev band compared to the OFT OTS tune. This power loss is typical of running leaner than desirable. AFR graph certainly shows that as well.

How much does the Flash and GO tune deviate from a custom tune? Would a custom tune run richer?
Great response, you hit the nail on the head when it comes to the benefits of EcuTeK RaceROM custom maps over everything else, accept maybe a standalone system. We have created a variety of custom maps with their technology to take this all into consideration, exactly why we have spent nearly a year working on it. Thanks for pointing that out.

I also would say you have worked heavily in cam control in those areas and applaud your work in that area to make power. Though being we are creating a once size fits all, I prefer to keep it a little less aggressive, make sure to have less valve train noise and offer better fuel economy. Currently our Flash and GO tunes are averaging about 30 mpg highway.

Finally I would consider the opposite of lean, 11:1 is incredibly rich for 2-4 pounds of boost, let alone 20 PSI, still exceptionally rich. A dyno chart/pull is one thing but running very rich (especially low boost) will slow down throttle response and make the car feel more lethargic in and out of throttle, making the car less predictable for any driver professional or not. Too boot, don't the Subaru STI's, Mitsubishi EVO's, Mercedes CLA, C250, Fiat Abarth, etc... all run stoichiometric to 5 pounds of boost or more.

Cheers,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning
The Following User Says Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
Fast_Freddy (07-13-2014)
Old 07-12-2014, 08:27 PM   #6629
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,417 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
@Sojhinn

Next up!
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (07-12-2014), Sojhinn (07-12-2014)
Old 07-12-2014, 08:34 PM   #6630
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Great response, you hit the nail on the head when it comes to the benefits of EcuTeK RaceROM custom maps over everything else, accept maybe a standalone system. We have created a variety of custom maps with their technology to take this all into consideration, exactly why we have spent nearly a year working on it. Thanks for pointing that out.

I also would say you have worked heavily in cam control in those areas and applaud your work in that area to make power. Though being we are creating a once size fits all, I prefer to keep it a little less aggressive, make sure to have less valve train noise and offer better fuel economy. Currently our Flash and GO tunes are averaging about 30 mpg highway.

Finally I would consider the opposite of lean, 11:1 is incredibly rich for 2-4 pounds of boost, let alone 20 PSI, still exceptionally rich. A dyno chart/pull is one thing but running very rich (especially low boost) will slow down throttle response and make the car feel more lethargic in and out of throttle, making the car less predictable for any driver professional or not. Too boot, don't the Subaru STI's, Mitsubishi EVO's, Mercedes CLA, C250, Fiat Abarth, etc... all run stoichiometric to 5 pounds of boost or more.

Cheers,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning
Seems to me your tune is more aggressive, not less. You are down on power throughout the entire low end and midrange from (what I would argue) running lean. The OFT is down high RPM from running rich. Of course, the OFT tune is an off-the-shelf tune and is intended to be safe in all cars. So running rich is understandable. Especially when it doesn't result in (too much) power loss up top.

Whereas your 91oct tune is running as lean as the ethanol tune from 4500 and up. You don't see anything strange about that?

Bill, I understand that if in the desire to keep the tune universal you are forced to make compromises. If that is the case, that's fine. But if you are trying to convince me that such a tuning approach to the ESC (on 91oct) is desirable, well then I guess we can agree to disagree.

And yes, the other cars you mention run stoich at low boost for a few reason. Primarily for emissions. And they can get away with it because of lower compression and other boost-friendly engine characteristics. But alas, we are talking about tuning for max power with good safety margin. Something that OEMs don't necessarily prioritize. If they did, we would all be out of jobs

Shiv
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
fenton (07-12-2014), Gums (07-13-2014), s2d4 (07-14-2014)
Old 07-12-2014, 08:48 PM   #6631
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,417 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
All good questions and ones that have been asked a few times (for good reason).

1. There are different ramp rate curves that the electric motor can abide by. What most customers want is a somewhat linear ramp so that the cars handling doesn't get upset. If the ramp rate was changed you could be in a scenario where you went from 110ft of torque to 200tq in about 100ms....this very hard on the electronics not to mention the car and the entire drive train. Now when it comes to actual response rate there is some electrical delay between the WOT switch engaging and the controller telling the electric motor to go to 100 percent. This is typically about 400ms....this is not something that will change as it is electrical and not mechanically linked to the engine. That being said...the "turbo lag" if you will call it that is 400ms regardless of the efficiency zone you are in.....which is a big plus compared to a turbo car where there is exponentially longer turbo lag at lower rpm.

2. The motor cannot increase in rpm to maintain boost. Increasing in rpm means drawing more power which has to be accompanied by more power in the controller. Controllers get bigger and more expensive and right now that increase the price out of feasibility.... Will it happen in the future as things evolve, probably yes.

Thanks for your questions and great contribution to the thread.

What's surprising to me is that the info in your post has not become common knowledge for those whose might consider developing for and/or improving the kit. I know it's being repeated throughout the thread (maybe a half dozen times). Now of course, we all know the thread is long, but still. Maybe the above info should be added to the FAQ (if it isn't already there) for tuners, tinkerers, and anyone else looking to get involved technically with the kit.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:53 PM   #6632
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
What's surprising to me is that the info in your post has not become common knowledge for those whose might consider developing for and/or improving the kit. I know it's being repeated throughout the thread (maybe a half dozen times). Now of course, we all know the thread is long, but still. Maybe the above info should be added to the FAQ (if it isn't already there) for tuners, tinkerers, and anyone else looking to get involved technically with the kit.
Good point I will ask @Sojhinn to add it when he can.

And once updated I will get it on the first page as well
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (07-12-2014)
Old 07-12-2014, 08:58 PM   #6633
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Full throttle Electric Supercharger Build Thread

Quote:
Good point I will ask @Sojhinn to add it when he can.

And once updated I will get it on the first page as well

Fun got some work to do. Can't do it until tomorrow at the earliest. Someone want to remind me? Or I can forward the old one to someone and they can add it to a google doc that can be updated by anyone or a select few.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel

Last edited by Sojhinn; 07-12-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:22 PM   #6634
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
@Sojhinn

Next up!

Wrong kid for me but right idea!

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
The Following User Says Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (07-12-2014)
Old 07-12-2014, 09:26 PM   #6635
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Full throttle Electric Supercharger Build Thread

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1RA...p=docslist_api

Here's the document. If anyone wants to edit it feel free. Otherwise I'll try to tomorrow.

Installed Mods:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (07-12-2014), fenton (07-12-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 07:26 AM   #6636
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
When my voltmeter wS reading 29 + I had a bad battery. You may want to check your batteries individually.
29 volts is awfully high. Mine has never gone that high. But then again I've never had any problems with my kit.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive