follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 01-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #645
ZetaVI
Gundam Meister

Drives: A Gundam
Thanked 1,010 Times in 510 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The new GC is certain to have alot of horsepower. Stepped up the interior because before it was dismal and now the exterior went backwards. Veloster Turbo looks better and that isn't saying much.
ZetaVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #646
xrs

Drives: 02 Mitsubishi Mirage
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want.FR-S View Post
OK, thanks. That put this car into a direct competition of FR-S. For people who complains about lack of power on the old 2.0T here is the bigger one.

That said, I wonder if the car is still heavy. I understand that even with the same power-to-weight ratio lighter car is better, but there maybe people who just look at the HP and creature comfort rather than lightness when shopping of a car.

Will this hurt the sales of FR-S?
Pretty much guarantee this car remains heavy. It's not as small of a vehicle as the pictures seem to make out to be. It probably won't hurt the FR-S much. I can see it eating into the BRZ Limited sales though.
xrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #647
xrs

Drives: 02 Mitsubishi Mirage
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-17 View Post
If you think the updated Tibby looks bad then the Accord must have fallen from the same ugly tree.
SMH, its disappointing to see these designs. They should have just made subtle changes or no changes at all imo.
How ironic that they have a ford logo pictured in the background. The Accord look just like the Taurus.

xrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #648
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want.FR-S View Post
Will this hurt the sales of FR-S?

I'm actually hoping it causing the FR-S and BRZ to be priced very very low considering the general public and mass market will cross shop these cars

The Camaro is mind blowing to me. How can a Car be that big and that long and have no room on the inside of it. The rear seats in the 86 look like the have just as much room as the Camaro
Old 01-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #649
Doric

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jay View Post
The Camaro is mind blowing to me. How can a Car be that big and that long and have no room on the inside of it. The rear seats in the 86 look like the have just as much room as the Camaro
Pretty common theme with that market segment. The Challenger is cramped under the hood, in the cabin, and has a relatively underwhelming trunk.

Oh, and it has its own zip code.
Doric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #650
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I've always disliked Hyundais since the 80's but recently testdrove the Genesis R Spec sedan at the Long Beach Show and that slightly changed my view on Hyundai. I was impressed and actually got a few looks while driving past Staples Center.

TBH, the new GC coupe is nice in all but I still wouldn't buy a Hyundai.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #651
glorydays
Remember me?

Drives: BRZ Series.Blue
Hey in that video, are both cars the 3.8 or is one a 2.0T?
glorydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #652
KeepGuessing

Drives: e30 150 deville etc etc
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here about the upcomming genesis coupe, but it has also been confirmed that the suspension has been reconfigured due to the numerous negative publicity magazines gave it about it's "feel".
Quote:
According to Hyundai, the springs, dampers and bushings have all been retuned for better road feel, body motion control and improved ride comfort.
Not to mention the steering ratio has been improved by 7%.
Also the GC Track and R-spec trims have an option for a front strut assembly to further increase steering precision.

Seems like Hyundai listened quite well to the world about their car.

Quote:
In addition, all R-Spec and Track models now receive front strut camber adjustment bolts that can be easily installed in the front strut assembly at their owner’s discretion. These camber adjustment bolts allow approximately -1.5 degrees of negative front camber adjustment for sharper, more responsive apex turn-in and significant understeer reduction in competitive events.

Both engines are mated to standard six-speed manual transmissions which have been extensively refined to provide more driver-friendly shift gating and balanced weighting precision. The clutch take-up, feel, and engagement characteristics also have been refined for optimum shifting ease and feel
KeepGuessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #653
cassidy0998

Drives: '99 Ranger / '94 APU Supra / Ninja!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deslock View Post
Watching the GC video that you posted, it's clear that (as expected) the GC has plenty of power to swing the back end around, and it does it reasonably gracefully for some of the drifts. But for others it's unsettled as the car plows and shifts its heft somewhat inelegantly. That's not a criticism of the GC... just an observation that the car appears to behave exactly as one would expect, given its size and weight.

Having written that, it's also true that you're not going to be able drift a stock FT86 as easily as on a dry track as they were on that wet track a couple months back, and in the dry it's not going to be as smooth. Still it looks to have more poise than the GC (again, as expected).

Also noteworthy is that though it's common to associate drifting with long slides maintained by gobs of power (especially in motorsports), there are many other types of drifts.

BTW, thanks for posting that GC video.
I agree that the new GC will most likely not be as elegant handling wise as the FR-S, considering it is often compared to the Mustang, Challenger and Camaro. Drifting is a take it or leave it sport, and sometimes I even question myself about why I think that it's cool - But for whatever reason, I do think it's pretty neat. However the FR-S has been marketed as a drifting machine, when I have seen very little to no proof that it will be a strong competitor out of the box in comparison to other stock cars. Drifting has many styles and techniques, but small little chirps of tires coming from a car trying to get sideways is most likely an indication that this car won't be a great drift car without some serious $.

I think the FR-S is a cool car (however we do not yet know the price), but I can't say that (in a way) it comes off as false advertisement - leading everyone to believe that this car is a drifting machine. It doesn't have the power, and it will most likely require a completely different engine to be able to produce that kind of power in order to make it truly drift on dry pavement.

To push this thread a little further, at this point in time I feel as though if the FR-S comes to us at $20k - WOW, awesome! Absolutely no complaints - Fun great little sports car for the price and I will probably get one. But if it comes in closer to $26k this car will be pushing GC V6 territory, which is why some of us might end up going with the GC. And if the V6 GC (or even 2.0T) starts making some better numbers both in price and in lap times than the FR-S, to me I will know which car is the best for me. Even as the huge Toyota fan I am, I will not buy the FR-S as a response to all of the hype when I feel that a better car (for me) might exist.

Many of you may or may not agree with me, but can we at least agree on the fact that the GC will be the FR-S/BRZs main competitor once the RX-8 is gone?

We can probably expect this argument to continue for years until something else comes along.

Last edited by cassidy0998; 01-12-2012 at 06:12 PM.
cassidy0998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #654
KeepGuessing

Drives: e30 150 deville etc etc
Let's not forget that as it sits NOW the 2.0T's MSRP is 22k and change. Now I hate the idea of "benchmark racing" but if a car gains 60lbs and 65HP it's performance should improve substantially, not only that but tightening up of the suspension will account for SOMETHING as well.

One thing is for sure, the next 3-4 years are going to be good years for "entry level sports car" enthusiasts.
KeepGuessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #655
miata

Drives: 2006 Miata 5 spd
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Too big and heavy. It needs to go on a diet. And get smaller also. They should make tiburon a RWD.
miata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #656
Tbxgz

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I was dead set on the 13 2.0T up until the US unveil in Detroit. I've been following speculation for a while over at gencoup.com. The general consensus is that the 2.0T base will start around 23k. But it looks like the bump in performance really compromised the standard features. Fogs and HIDs aren't even an option until you go for the 3.8 Grand Touring model.

Full list of standard features for the 13 here:

http://www.hyundainews.com/us/en-us/...tedtrims=10224
Tbxgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:05 PM   #657
e30kawi

Drives: CWP limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbxgz View Post
I was dead set on the 13 2.0T up until the US unveil in Detroit. I've been following speculation for a while over at gencoup.com. The general consensus is that the 2.0T base will start around 23k. But it looks like the bump in performance really compromised the standard features. Fogs and HIDs aren't even an option until you go for the 3.8 Grand Touring model.
It is tough to say on pricing since nothing has been officially released for either the gc's or the scion or subaru. No one said the subie won't be up there around $23k-$27k.
e30kawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #658
Tbxgz

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30kawi View Post
It is tough to say on pricing since nothing has been officially released for either the gc's or the scion or subaru. No one said the subie won't be up there around $23k-$27k.
Yup I agree. It's quite possible the BRZ premium starts at 27 which would make this moot. I was merely basing this off the speculation that the BRZ would start at somewhere around the WRX pricing.
Tbxgz is offline   Reply With Quote