follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 08-01-2015, 01:07 AM   #43
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,603 Times in 18,973 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
Anywhoo they are still not dirty. The stuff is working good :P
<belly laugh> You got me! Sorry for jacking your thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxthebetter View Post
Ha...
Looking up those threads now. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2015, 09:03 AM   #44
akyp

Drives: 2012 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The stock wheels remind me of this:

Which is not a bad thing at all.

My only complaint is how they're bloody hard to clean thanks to all the spokes. Each wheel takes me at least half an hour to clean with Optimum Power Clean, and that's only the outer half (I never bother to touch the inner barrel). I've ordered some GTechniq C5 Wheel Armor. Hope that would help the wheels stay clean and easier to clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Impreza View Post
Stock wheels look lovely on our cars. I'm becoming more and more unique day by day without spending a penny with all these people changing rims left and right haha
In 10 years someone will be like "yO NO way those are the OEM wheels BRO! JDM!!"
My thoughts exactly. A S2000 or old Type R on stock wheels look more interesting to my eyes than one on TE37 or CE28N or their million clones.
akyp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to akyp For This Useful Post:
Juvenile (08-01-2015), Mr.Impreza (08-01-2015)
Old 08-01-2015, 10:06 AM   #45
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Drives: 2018 STI
Thanked 1,552 Times in 784 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akyp View Post
The stock wheels remind me of this:

Which is not a bad thing at all.

My only complaint is how they're bloody hard to clean thanks to all the spokes. Each wheel takes me at least half an hour to clean with Optimum Power Clean, and that's only the outer half (I never bother to touch the inner barrel). I've ordered some GTechniq C5 Wheel Armor. Hope that would help the wheels stay clean and easier to clean.

My thoughts exactly. A S2000 or old Type R on stock wheels look more interesting to my eyes than one on TE37 or CE28N or their million clones.
Oh man....then you would of never liked my rims on my subaru...OZ superturismo evo's. I hated cleaning them and brake dust was always visible due to it being gold.

And yeah 100 agree regarding the s2000's and type r's.....the thing about stock rims is a lot of times they are unique to that one car so as they age they become more and more rare in that view compared to aftermarket rims where you see on many cars like c28's as you mentioned and they are on civics to ferrari's haha

Mr.Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Impreza For This Useful Post:
akyp (08-01-2015), soulreapersteve (08-01-2015)
Old 08-01-2015, 11:18 AM   #46
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akyp View Post
My only complaint is how they're bloody hard to clean thanks to all the spokes. Each wheel takes me at least half an hour to clean with Optimum Power Clean, and that's only the outer half (I never bother to touch the inner barrel).
Well I was thinking the same but to test out this stuff i had to do every inch i could get my sausage fingers into. Using a microfiber cloth made the difference. So hopefull don't have to do this every 3-6 months. Winter will tell the real truth on how this works or not.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevesnj For This Useful Post:
Mr.Impreza (08-01-2015), Ultramaroon (08-01-2015)
Old 08-02-2015, 07:26 AM   #47
ZZT86

Drives: BR86
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Well, there's some nuance to the topic. Forgive me if I overdo the explanation. Just doing my best to be clear and most importantly, it's all personal preference.

1. This car was conceived and developed from the ground-up with priorities on the driving experience right up there with the price point.

2. Forget for a minute so many people's bitches about how people complain about it being slow. That's bullshit, BUT it's no muscle car so there's a great deal of effort that went into sqeezing the most they could out of 2 litres while passing modern emissions standards and keeping it reliable. People tend to forget those latter points when they rag on the powerplant.

So, out of the box we get a nice little sports car that clearly delivers on its promise.

Then we complain about the fender gap and "Aaaugh! The stock wheels have no traction." Well, duh, that was the whole point. They do have traction. Especially given the available power, they have enough traction and with the magic of the newer LRR compounds, feel gloriously light-footed. It's just like the difference between riding a touring bike with thin little tires versus some beach cruiser.

Taller wheels put the bulk of the rotating mass further outward which makes them more resistant to change in direction. The effect is real. Not devastating but it's a noticeable difference and not in keeping with the spirit of this car.

Grippier tires are just like the beach cruiser. Ok for putzing around the neighborhood but no way am I going to pedal it for more than a couple miles. Plus, I LIKE feedback from the road.

I've driven a few of my friend's modded cars. Fantastic traction but all have been just a little more numb in the butt and hands. On the flip side, I've had many people with modded cars drive mine and remark that they've forgotten how nice the stock ones feel to drive.

I just love how the car feels. It's practically a miracle and I'm in no hurry to change it.
Yep, I would agree with you on this. Anything one does to their car will change the way it feels - for better or worse. But what if you try to balance an increase in grip (via slightly bigger/wider green tyres, same rolling dia & lighter wheels) with a 25% increase in NA power/torque ? Wouldn't the resultant outcome still be similar to the stock car albeit with higher levels of dynamics ?
ZZT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:40 AM   #48
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
With that 'try to balance/compensate' i hear often story along lines of neverending tries to fix/improve with many subsequent aftermarket upgrades of something started with blind 'upgrade' that shouldn't be done in first place
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (08-02-2015)
Old 08-02-2015, 04:07 PM   #49
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,603 Times in 18,973 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZT86 View Post
Yep, I would agree with you on this. Anything one does to their car will change the way it feels - for better or worse. But what if you try to balance an increase in grip (via slightly bigger/wider green tyres, same rolling dia & lighter wheels) with a 25% increase in NA power/torque ? Wouldn't the resultant outcome still be similar to the stock car albeit with higher levels of dynamics ?
True, you will very easily end up with a faster vehicle with higher limits of handling but it won't be the same. I guarantee it will feel different in the steering wheel and in the butt.

Like @Captain Snooze's tag line says, "Everything's a compromise." Keep that in mind and beware of unintended consequences. Why hurry? The stock wheels look great all cleaned up.

/
Old 08-03-2015, 07:41 AM   #50
ZZT86

Drives: BR86
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
True, you will very easily end up with a faster vehicle with higher limits of handling but it won't be the same. I guarantee it will feel different in the steering wheel and in the butt.

Like @Captain Snooze's tag line says, "Everything's a compromise." Keep that in mind and beware of unintended consequences. Why hurry? The stock wheels look great all cleaned up.

/
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
With that 'try to balance/compensate' i hear often story along lines of neverending tries to fix/improve with many subsequent aftermarket upgrades of something started with blind 'upgrade' that shouldn't be done in first place
Agree with both of you on the above points which is why I haven't touched the wheels/tyre/suspension setup in 2.5 years of ownership despite me wanting to.

I guess I gotta keep reminding myself the main reason why I got the 86 is not because of the way it looks but for the way it drives & makes you feel when you're behind the wheel. Smallish good looking stock wheels aside it's a great looking car to boot !
ZZT86 is offline   Reply With Quote