follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-10-2015, 03:53 PM   #43
Hyper4mance2k
Shadetree Project Ratchet

Drives: series.Blue
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBRZ View Post
It's not shocking at all. It's to be expected that @shiv would do a lot more work refining the UEL tune, since that was the tune used by Shiv everyday, while driving his car with a UEL OFH installed. This tune is designed to get the most from an unequal length header, to promote the header that they sell for the FT86 cars. So it makes sense that it would be the best running tune. What people don't realize, is that it is a better tune for EL headers also. This is a reason to BUY the OFT. To get that amazing stage 2 UEL tune.
From that perspective, I could see how you think that makes sense, but the OFT is marketed as a one stop shop with optimized tunes specified for a variety of products. When a tune designed for a certain product is outperformed by a tune designed for something entirely different, I find fault in that. If it's a better tune overall, then call it a header tune for both UEL and EL. This just shows me that the the EL optimised tune is in fact not optimized for an EL header.
It's like Darigold saying skim milk has all the flavor of whole milk... But, now we're entirely off topic. Obviously any header needs a tune to make the most power out of it, but you have to admit, a tune for an EL manifold should out perform a tune optimized for an UEL manifold, and that's where I find fault.

Back on topic. This header rocks for the price, and we need some more people who have it to get tunes to see how it compares accross the market.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:02 PM   #44
sachu

Drives: rocketship
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper4mance2k View Post
From that perspective, I could see how you think that makes sense, but the OFT is marketed as a one stop shop with optimized tunes specified for a variety of products. When a tune designed for a certain product is outperformed by a tune designed for something entirely different, I find fault in that. If it's a better tune overall, then call it a header tune for both UEL and EL. This just shows me that the the EL optimised tune is in fact not optimized for an EL header.
It's like Darigold saying skim milk has all the flavor of whole milk... But, now we're entirely off topic. Obviously any header needs a tune to make the most power out of it, but you have to admit, a tune for an EL manifold should out perform a tune optimized for an UEL manifold, and that's where I find fault.

Back on topic. This header rocks for the price, and we need some more people who have it to get tunes to see how it compares accross the market.
The caveat being that the Skunk2 is indeed an EL header and not UEL. There are some headers taht claim to be EL but are actually UEL depending on how much variance is present in the lengh of the runners.
sachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:12 PM   #45
86SPEED

Drives: The silvertrooper 10 series
Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quote:

We will have one of the local cars tuned very very shortly with his Skunk2 EL header.. Unfortunately.... or Fortunately depending on how you look at it, a Kraftwerks C30 blower will be added at the same time as the tuning lol. BUT he has had the header for the last month and he loves it. His setup sounds really good, and is currently the only EL setup i personally like the sound of, Skunk2 header, MXP overpipe, OEM front pipe and Perrin 3" catback. Mike from Moto-East will be setting up the tune, but the base canned tune he sent felt great. We do have 2 cars running the same kits, just different headers and we will be getting dynos. we know it wont be a perfect scenario but both will be on the same fuel, SC kits, and mapped from the same tuner. only difference will be the 2 exhaust setups.

-Thomas

P.S. out of the 4 cars here in Vegas, not one has had a CEL at this time
86SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86SPEED For This Useful Post:
Hyper4mance2k (02-10-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 04:49 PM   #46
Hyper4mance2k

My car gets a CEL with the header, but I'm still on the stock tune, so obviously it should. I even tried the spacer trick and it only delays the CEL for about 800 miles.
Has anyone ever successfully tried one of those mini cats (spacer with a tiny chunk of "Catalyst")?
Old 02-10-2015, 05:04 PM   #47
sachu

I went back to stock tune as my tuner wanted to do some more homework based on what we learned from the OFT UEL tune specifically.

My tuner's original tune still did the best up top (but laggy and choked in the bottom) but the OFT UEL tune gives some ideas about waht to do on the bottom end in the torque dip area. Till he comes up with a few solutions to try later this weekend I am back on the stock tune.

No CEL so far.

I do like the osund of this header, there is some rasp with the stock tune past 4k RPM.

Swapped my 3 inch perrin resonated catback to a 2.5 inch perrin resonated. Loving it so much more as there is minimal drone.

The sound was brilliant with the UEL OFT tune I must say.
The Following User Says Thank You to sachu For This Useful Post:
Hyper4mance2k (02-10-2015)
Old 02-11-2015, 05:31 PM   #48
limitedblkwrx
Ultimate Member

Drives: 2014 Satin White BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I don't have dyno numbers but I I am running

OFT stage 2 EL tune
Skunk2 Header
Tomei Overpipe
@MAPerformance 3" front pipe and catback

I have noticed that where the header meets the tomei over pipe has a small leak at the bottom. I am going to try and replace the gasket that came with the Skunk2 header with the tomei overpipe gasket that I have and see if that fixes it.

Installed pic:
Name:  IMG_0934.JPG
Views: 2402
Size:  81.9 KB

Cold Start Video:
[ame]http://youtu.be/HjUKvCqqyNg[/ame]

About 70% Acceleration Video: (yes I changed my wheels while it was in the air)
[ame]http://youtu.be/8Qq3oxRRnUM[/ame]
limitedblkwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to limitedblkwrx For This Useful Post:
Hyper4mance2k (02-13-2015), MAPerformance (02-11-2015)
Old 02-11-2015, 05:38 PM   #49
johan

Drives: '14 981CS, '99 NB1
Thanked 1,201 Times in 631 Posts
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Was it re-tuned after the header, or still running the original tune?
Car had already been tuned with existing mods. Header was installed at the shop and then immediately the car was re-tuned.
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:00 PM   #50
86SPEED

Drives: The silvertrooper 10 series
Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quote:
My car gets a CEL with the header, but I'm still on the stock tune, so obviously it should. I even tried the spacer trick and it only delays the CEL for about 800 miles.
Has anyone ever successfully tried one of those mini cats (spacer with a tiny chunk of "Catalyst")?
With what header are you getting the Code?

The shop car has well over 1000 miles with the skunk2 header with no CEL at all.
86SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 01:10 AM   #51
Hyper4mance2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by fteightysix View Post
With what header are you getting the Code?

The shop car has well over 1000 miles with the skunk2 header with no CEL at all.
I have a Skunk2 header. Just wait... I've put on over 2500 miles and I've had a check engine light 3 times. There's no cat and on the stock tune you're going to get a CEL.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:49 PM   #52
sachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by limitedblkwrx View Post

OFT stage 2 EL tune
Skunk2 Header
Tomei Overpipe

I have noticed that where the header meets the tomei over pipe has a small leak at the bottom. I am going to try and replace the gasket that came with the Skunk2 header with the tomei overpipe gasket that I have and see if that fixes it.

Installed pic:
Attachment 102352

Cold Start Video:

About 70% Acceleration Video: (yes I changed my wheels while it was in the air)

Try running the OFT UEL tune..let me know how it feels from 2k-5k RPM compared to the EL tune.

Also, the sound between the two tunes. Hearing that rasp with the EL tune i noticed in mine.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:31 PM   #53
Hyper4mance2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by limitedblkwrx View Post

OFT stage 2 EL tune
Skunk2 Header
Tomei Overpipe

Installed pic:
Attachment 102352
That looks great ceramic coated!! I'm planning on taking mine off soon to have it coated. The plan was to have it coated before i instaleld it, but I can't have parts in my hads very long -not without using them.
limitedblkwrx (02-15-2015)
Old 03-01-2015, 12:43 AM   #54
sachu

Here's my current tune with thefollowing mods.

Skunk2 header
Skunk2 intake (with insert)
Nameless overpipe/front pipe with cat
Perrin 2.5 inch resonated catback

Stock car versus modded tuned car.

The insert on the intake needs to be removed and the MAF rescaled again. SO more gains to be had likely.

I might go back to the stock overpipe and front pipe and see if that gives me more torque as well.

Want to give a shout out to Wryaan at VIP performance for working on the tune.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to sachu For This Useful Post:
Hyper4mance2k (03-01-2015)
Old 03-01-2015, 01:49 PM   #55
Hyper4mance2k

Love it! And here I thought you needed e85 to make 200+ who NA.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:27 PM   #56
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Love it! And here I thought you needed e85 to make 200+ who NA.
His stock run was at 180whp which is unusually high though.