follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-30-2014, 08:20 PM   #43
DG-86

Drives: 17' WRB BRZ Limited P.P. 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxis View Post
Sport mode can hold revs higher and longer when you aren't actually pushing.
So can the manual transmission option...
DG-86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:24 PM   #44
kberkel

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Car pissed me off about 4 times today with all the nannies on. Kept forgetting to turn VSC on.

Not sure if that means I drive too aggressively.. but damn I hate that throttle bog.

Ill reevaluate when the snow comes
kberkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:32 AM   #45
abraxis

Drives: many
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG-86 View Post
So can the manual transmission option...
Yes, the auto comes with Manual mode as well. I have manuals on other toys. As a result, I don't really need to play speed racer in my mind with the FRS or strut around forums like I'm special cuz "manual".

What the stock manual transmission option doesn't come with is a rating somewhere between 300-400lb/ft, close to 40mpg on the highway, a free-left foot for better things like braking, and non suicide mode during 3-hour one way commutes in major metro traffic.

But hey, thanks for letting us know you like your manual! That would be my choice if I wanted to drive the slower of the Z06's.

^ Puts it into "Drive"
abraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:07 AM   #46
paulca

Drives: Toyota GT86 Coupe Red (UK)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes, the auto comes with Manual mode as well. I have manuals on other toys. As a result, I don't really need to play speed racer in my mind with the FRS or strut around forums like I'm special cuz "manual".
Over here we just call it driving.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:06 AM   #47
White&Nerdy

Drives: 2015 Subaru WRX
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Daily driving, I leave everything on - especially because I'm still on slippery stock Prius tires. But there are a couple of exceptions. There are a few intersections on my commute that have a lot of traffic, and I often need to punch it through a small gap between cars to get anywhere. I hold down the button to shut off VSC and TRAC to do this. With the systems on, I've had them bring me almost to a stop while trying to squirt through traffic - not good. Then I turn everything back on afterward. I rain, I might use VSC Sport instead so I don't go crazy sideways, which isn't my intention.

I only just learned about the pedal dance, but didn't notice the regular VSC/TRAC off holding me back on the autocross course. It allowed me to spin. But I'll try the pedal dance next time.
White&Nerdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:33 AM   #48
abraxis

Drives: many
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulca View Post
Over here we just call it driving.
Guess they haven't been 'driving' in Formula 1 or WRC for a long time.

What's next, it's not a real car unless it fits down a narrow medieval alley designed for horses?
abraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:04 PM   #49
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

What the stock manual transmission option doesn't come with is a rating somewhere between 300-400lb/ft, close to 40mpg on the highway, a free-left foot for better things like braking, and non suicide mode during 3-hour one way commutes in major metro traffic.

But hey, thanks for letting us know you like your manual! That would be my choice if I wanted to drive the slower of the Z06's.

^ Puts it into "Drive"
"Manual" mode..
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 01:53 PM   #50
tomkozski

Drives: 2017 WRB BRZ w/ PP
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
For day-to-day street driving keep the driving aids on. If the aids keep turning on (when dry), you're driving way too aggresively. Why unnecessarily increase the risk of a crash (and increase all our insurance rates)? While we're paying attention and fully focused, most of us can easily handle a slide or something. But what about a panic situation? What about those moments when you're not fully 100% focused on driving (dealing with radio, drinking beverage, etc)? Are both hands on the steering wheel at all times? Can you fully control the car in a panic situation, like when that deer pops out or when a driver cuts you off?

Even if you're an expert driver and know how to fully control skids, oversteer, etc, the crappy drivers behind and around you don't know that you are. A small drift can easily freak someone out enough where they overreact and do something stupid (if they're not too focused on their cellphone...). On a track or autocross course, go ahead and turn off the aids, car is more fun that way. But on the street, keep the safety features on.

There are more than enough twins that have found themselves in ditches or have smacked into curbs because drivers were overconfident in their abilities and had the driving aids turned off.
tomkozski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tomkozski For This Useful Post:
stugray (10-31-2014)
Old 10-31-2014, 02:20 PM   #51
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkozski View Post
For day-to-day street driving keep the driving aids on. If the aids keep turning on (when dry), you're driving way too aggresively. .
I cant agree more.
If the nannies bother you then you are overdriving the car.
Drifting is NOT the fastest way around a track nor is it safe on the street.

Those that think that driving this car in a way that keeps engaging the TC/VSC systems on the street, need to learn how to drive (preferrably on a track).
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stugray For This Useful Post:
tomkozski (11-03-2014)
Old 10-31-2014, 02:26 PM   #52
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
To be fair, you don't encounter too many culverts in the middle of a corner on a track.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote