follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-04-2016, 03:05 PM   #43
mdm
not a twin owner

Drives: 2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Hey M did you get a FRS/BRZ yet? I tried your left foot thing at the dealer last time I was in and the position just sucks big time. The brake pedal in these things are really way too far over to be even remotely comfortable.

Nope, haven't even test-driven it. What you're saying does not sound promising, but I'll check myself when the time comes. It wasn't a problem for me in any automatic car I have driven, from Toyota Yaris and Chevy Sonic up to Ford Mustang.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mdm For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 03:09 PM   #44
VTEC

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishiimoosh View Post
Haha! Thankfully, my commute does not involve that. My whole point of getting this car is that I am bored with driving cars that have no life. And if the auto takes a bit of that life away, why get it? A lot of you are helping a lot, thank you.
If that's how you feel I definitely think you belong in a manual
Old 05-04-2016, 03:22 PM   #45
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
Nope, haven't even test-driven it. What you're saying does not sound promising, but I'll check myself when the time comes. It wasn't a problem for me in any automatic car I have driven, from Toyota Yaris and Chevy Sonic up to Ford Mustang.
The pedals are close enough to heel-toe with, without any modifications. Thats how close they are together. The gas pedal is also basically all the way to the right, so your two legs will be kinda sideways if you try to do left-foot braking.

Sit at your desk with your legs spread a normal amount apart, so shoulder width. Now put your left foot next to your right foot without shifting/rotating your butt. Thats how it'll feel in the car.
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PandaSPUR For This Useful Post:
soulreapersteve (05-04-2016), Tcoat (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 03:49 PM   #46
BRO8A86

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Got my FRS lil over a month now and gotta say it sucks driving manual in socals stop and go traffic....sometimes I wish I would've went with auto when I'm in traffic but manual is sure a lot of fun to drive when traffic is good....this is my first manual car and still not perfect driver but def easy car to learn with....I'm sure once shifting becomes second nature it won't be as bad to drive in traffic...GL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BRO8A86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:27 PM   #47
mdm
not a twin owner

Drives: 2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
The pedals are close enough to heel-toe with, without any modifications. Thats how close they are together. The gas pedal is also basically all the way to the right, so your two legs will be kinda sideways if you try to do left-foot braking.

Yeah, I see your point, I won't know though before I really try it. Like I said, I have been doing it for several years in a few cars, and I don't find it uncomfortable. The FR-S may turn out to be different enough though. I sat in one for a a minute or two, and it seemed fine, but that wasn't enough time to be sure.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mdm For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 04:56 PM   #48
Blueapples

Drives: Brz
I bought a MT before even knowing how to drive manual. Only experience I had was from youtube videos and at the arcade, playing gran turismo.. It took me a week to be able to drive confidently to and from work (30 minute commute with some hills and traffic). At first it was a bit difficult and certain times made me wish I bought an AT. but after getting the hang of it, regardless of traffic or hills, it's a lot more fun and engaging to drive. Difficulty will not be an issue after you've become familiar on how to drive it. Sure it can be an inconvenience at times, but you will sure as hell get a better and engaging driving experience. Well worth it in my opinion.
Blueapples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:08 PM   #49
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 5,026 Times in 2,217 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
The twins have an option for a very competent automatic transmission.
Don't have to use the paddles if you don't want to.
It has a manual mode so you can select exactly the gear you want to be in at any given moment.
Gosh.

I've been avoiding this all day mostly due to the dutch rudder MT (p|b)romotion crew.
Try one out. You may not be disappointed.

Last edited by bcj; 05-04-2016 at 09:18 PM.
bcj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
soulreapersteve (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 09:54 PM   #50
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Gonna weigh in on this.
Get the manual if you enjoy the act of driving.
The clutch in this car is light (assisted) so that your calves will never be sore.
The car is actually quite easy to handle in stop-go once you commit the engagement point to muscle memory.

I would suggest (if this is an option) that you get your brother to teach you to drive manual on the Miata, AND THEN ask if you can borrow the car for a few days to drive during rush hour traffic (assuming that you've gotten used to driving manual and can do it fairly proficiently).

FWIW, it took me about 2 weeks of daily driving to stop stalling, but getting smooth takes a bit longer than that. But once I got it, I haven't looked back, and do not foresee buying another automatic in the next 5 years.
Leaving work (even in lousy traffic) in this car was my daily decompression ritual for the better part of 2 years.
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:50 PM   #51
kerbal945

Drives: 05 Nissan Altima
I'm curious when people say city driving, what's your average speed?

I've always had urban commutes, but recent work change gave me 1.5hr commute in both directions, with mostly stop and go traffic, and lots of stops along hills. My average speed for the week dropped from 35 to 22 kph (~14 mph).

I've never hated driving so much, and for the first time in my life, a cvt hybrid is sounding attractive to me. lol should I get help?

Last edited by kerbal945; 05-06-2016 at 10:23 PM.
kerbal945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:28 PM   #52
PandaSPUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerbal945 View Post
I'm curious when people say city driving, what's your average speed?

I've always had urban commutes, but recent work change gave me 1.5hr commute in both directions, with mostly stop and go traffic, and lots of stops along hills. My average speed for the week dropped from 35 to 22 kph (~14 mph).

I've never hated driving so much, and for the first time in my life, a cvt hybrid is sounding attractive me. lol should I get help?
My usual "long" drive is about an hour from manhattan to the eastern edge of queens. Without traffic that drive is only 20 minutes (I know this from my late night drives). In traffic on that route, I end up on 10-20 minute stretches driving as slowly as 10MPH, or literally just stop-and-go.

The drive got real bad since the stretch on the BQE between Williamsburg Bridge and the LIE is down to 2 lanes due to road work. Mentioning this for any other NYC drivers on here.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:29 PM   #53
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post

Sit at your desk with your legs spread a normal amount apart, so shoulder width. Now put your left foot next to your right foot without shifting/rotating your butt. Thats how it'll feel in the car.
I tried doing this, squished my family jewels.
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soulreapersteve For This Useful Post:
PandaSPUR (05-05-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 11:39 PM   #54
turtlefeeder

Drives: UltraMFrS
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreapersteve View Post
I tried doing this, squished my family jewels.
lmao you need to rest them like you're doing the splitzzies. than you'll forever remain the pearl lol
turtlefeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to turtlefeeder For This Useful Post:
soulreapersteve (05-05-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 12:20 PM   #55
Stratoside

Drives: Firestorm red MT FR-S 2013
anyone that says "Manual is only fun on the highway" is missing the the whole point of manual, which is shifting gears.
On the highway, you don't shift gear, therefore it's more like driving an automatic
Might as well get an automatic if you find driving in the highway fun, i certainly don't find that fun at all

if you like shifting gears, go with manual for city driving
Manual is only fun in stop and go traffic.
if you say otherwise, you don't like manual
Stratoside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:24 PM   #56
PandaSPUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratoside View Post
anyone that says "Manual is only fun on the highway" is missing the the whole point of manual, which is shifting gears.
On the highway, you don't shift gear, therefore it's more like driving an automatic
Might as well get an automatic if you find driving in the highway fun, i certainly don't find that fun at all

if you like shifting gears, go with manual for city driving
Manual is only fun in stop and go traffic.
if you say otherwise, you don't like manual
LOL I really hope you're being sarcastic.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PandaSPUR For This Useful Post:
mdm (05-05-2016), turtlefeeder (05-05-2016)