follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-07-2021, 09:12 AM   #43
BigTuna

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riftur View Post
I just had my recall done about a month ago. I have only put less than 1k on the car but I do feel a difference since it was done. when I hit the gas driving normally, it feels like it is lagging. If I gun it, the engine revs and it feels normal. It is not the torque dip issue. It feels different. I am going to contact the dealership today about it but if anyone has an idea of what it could be, let me know because I am sure the dealership won't tell me the truth. I was planning on modding the car but need to work this out before I make any changes. Thanks
When you disconnect the battery or reset the ECU, the throttle mapping gets reset making it feel like you have to give a lot more throttle to start revving. It's well documented. It typically lasts for a few trips until the ECU re-calibrates on it's own.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:02 AM   #44
Riftur

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTuna View Post
When you disconnect the battery or reset the ECU, the throttle mapping gets reset making it feel like you have to give a lot more throttle to start revving. It's well documented. It typically lasts for a few trips until the ECU re-calibrates on it's own.
That makes sense but should it still be doing that after 3+ weeks? I just ran an errand and a more serious issue thats never happened before happened. I was driving into a shopping plaza and my car went into manual shift mode (its an automatic) and was stuck in first gear. I had to activate the manual shift and deactivate it before the tranny shifted properly again. it was kinda dangerous because when my car went into 1 gear I was going to fast so the car revved up and jerked back like when your downshifting but much more severe. If someone was behind me, they would have hit me. I do not know if it has anything to do with the recall, but it has me worried now.
Riftur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:04 AM   #45
Riftur

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
I am calling the dealership now.
Riftur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:18 AM   #46
Hamza

Drives: Widebody 86/F56 Mini Cooper S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfsundrgrnd View Post
I'm curious about the amount of people who got the recall done and did not get a catastrophic failure resulting in a blown engine. I'm also curious about who has the highest mileage done after the recall. I got my brz in february and brought it to my local Subaru dealer to get a few things fixed and they mentioned the free valve spring recall so I figured why not and had it done.

This was before I read up on all the catastrophic failures that had happened. Since then, I've put nearly 6000kms on my car with normal driving and hard driving from time to time with not much issues.

I just want to know if I have a ticking time bomb or if a bunch of people have driven with the recall with no issues.

Thanks!
[Not in the US] but had mine done a year ago have put on about 13k km since then no issues at all
Hamza is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine failure, high mileage, recall, valve spring recall