follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 06-28-2012, 06:22 AM   #43
Righty

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks for the detailed updates Leftfootbreak, i'm looking at getting the exact same configuration as you, so hanging on every word from your reviews!

Although would be great to see some pics too
Righty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:09 AM   #44
os86

Drives: 2jz
appreciate the updates, keep them coming

have you experience any chirping sound from the engine or the injectors ?
os86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:42 AM   #45
LeftFootBrake

Drives: White 86 GTS AT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Righty View Post
Thanks for the detailed updates Leftfootbreak, i'm looking at getting the exact same configuration as you, so hanging on every word from your reviews!
Thanks for the kind words. I've been secretly guilty of worrying I'm just posting to myself and wondering why I'm bothering so I appreciate the positive feedback.

Quote:
Although would be great to see some pics too
Rumour has it she is being paint corrected and protected on Monday, so there's a chance I'll celebrate by posting some pics of her after that. But no promises, sorry.

And just between you and me, there are actually quite a few pics of my car floating about the interwebs. Albeit, none of them taken by me. Paparazzi are everywhere and frightfully friendly. Which is wonderful. So far she's attracted nothing but positive feedback. The ladies think she is attractive. The lads are interested in the reviews suggesting she's better than a Porsche. And the car enthusiasts are keen for their first spotting. Oh, and let's not forget the farmers. On the return leg of my second wollombi run I had a gent on a tractor in peats ridge, busy toiling his soil, tip his hat. High praise, indeed.
LeftFootBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LeftFootBrake For This Useful Post:
adam (06-30-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 07:46 AM   #46
LeftFootBrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by os86 View Post
appreciate the updates, keep them coming
Thanks. Will try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by os86 View Post
have you experience any chirping sound from the engine or the injectors ?
Nope. Or maybe it's happening continually and I just don't know because I don't spend a single second of my day listening to the engine with the hood up.
Nor have I noticed the separate idle drop issue. Or maybe it's just that I have the climate control permanently on and that's a factor. Or too busy looking at my hair in the mirror instead of the tacho.
Nor have I noticed condensation in the rear tail indicators. Or maybe I just haven't looked hard enough or at the right times (although I have driven in a fair bit of rain by now).

Last edited by LeftFootBrake; 06-28-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #47

Drives: 86 GTS 6AT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftFootBrake View Post
Thanks for the kind words. I've been secretly guilty of worrying I'm just posting to myself and wondering why I'm bothering so I appreciate the positive feedback.
For every poster that thanks you - there are another 100 that CBF posting/singing up. Keep up the good work bud!
sticky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #48
LeftFootBrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticky View Post
For every poster that thanks you - there are another 100 that CBF posting/singing up. Keep up the good work bud!
Thanks mate. That's what I tell myself, since that style of laziness describes me most of the time.

BTW, something I've been forgetting to comment on for a while is the speedo.

The digital speedo is great and I have never come close to looking at the analogue dial, even in the brightest of sunlight. And I am cautiously optimistic this will continue to be the same even in Summer when it is brighter still.

I think resorting to having to use the analogue speedo would necessitate me selling the car. I am flabbergasted that amongst all the safety regulations Australian car manufactures are forced to comply with, there's not a single one that mandates at least half-assed "speedo accessibility". And this despite the increasing number of speed cameras and minimal leeway laws forcing longer eyes-not-on-road-time than every before -- particularly at the most dangerous black spots!

The "good" safety news for GT buyers is that unlike the GTS, their audio unit has real buttons. So TMCA are ensuring they can't be seen to be discriminating. They're ensuring everyone gets their share of unsafe gear. GT buyers with the speedo. GTS buyers with a touch screen audio unit but no steering wheel controls. Sigh. And I know I'm at risk of being a broken record on this, but I hate it when defeat is snatched from the jaws of victory, and this is how these matters feel to me. Toyota went to significant trouble (enough that they boast about it!) to invent a frameless rear-vision mirror that ever so slightly increases vision whilst simultaneous designing other stuff that ensures that vision is spent as long as possible away from the road.

This is yet another case of reality being both stranger and more ironic than fiction.

For those buying a GT, I would advise considering investing some of the savings in a SatNav phone app or unit that is capable of beeping at you when you are over the posted limit. It's not a perfect solution, but it might be a start. Of course, if you are reading this forum you're probably enough of an enthusiast that you'll learn how to scan the analogue one quickly, despite the difficulties so this advice might not apply to you.

Also, fwiw, I think Indicated Speed is about 1.08 x Actual Speed (at least on the GTS 17" wheels; will probably be different on the GT 16" wheels). But please don't take this as gospel. I will not be a witness for you in court nor pay your speeding fines.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LeftFootBrake For This Useful Post:
fuddbutter (07-03-2012), os86 (07-03-2012), sticky (06-28-2012)
Old 06-29-2012, 04:56 AM   #49
Righty

Drives: 86 GTS
One question on the mirror, does it dim automatically with high beam headlights behind you, or does it still have a little flicker switch at the bottom?
Righty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:03 AM   #50
LeftFootBrake

Quote:
One question on the mirror, does it dim automatically with high beam headlights behind you, or does it still have a little flicker switch at the bottom?
The latter. You don't see the switch because it is hidden behind the unit when in the "normal" state.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:03 AM   #51
m0nty

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
They're not auto dimming. Still has the switch.
m0nty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:12 AM   #52

Drives: 86 GTS 6AT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
LFB what's your opinion on the AT so far? You've passed your break-in period right?
sticky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:41 AM   #53
LeftFootBrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticky View Post
LFB what's your opinion on the AT so far?
Good, but please bear in mind I haven't really challenged it yet. I have only very lightly played around with manual shifts but it has given me some confidence that it will respond quickly and suffice in all but the most demanding situations (and very possibly even those as well). Like others have mentioned, I'm a little curious about the real reason they didn't shorten/compress the first five gear ratios a bit more for us paddle shifters, but if the transmission proves capable of taking more power, this could end up being a blessing. In the meantime, it's providing good fuel economy: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/86gtsat/86

Quote:
You've passed your break-in period right?
Nope. Break-in period is 1000m/1600km, and I've only done about 1,100km.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeftFootBrake For This Useful Post:
os86 (07-03-2012), sticky (06-29-2012)
Old 06-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #54
jonnyboy

Drives: GTS 86 6AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftFootBrake View Post
Good, but please bear in mind I haven't really challenged it yet. I have only very lightly played around with manual shifts but it has given me some confidence that it will respond quickly and suffice in all but the most demanding situations (and very possibly even those as well). Like others have mentioned, I'm a little curious about the real reason they didn't shorten/compress the first five gear ratios a bit more for us paddle shifters, but if the transmission proves capable of taking more power, this could end up being a blessing. In the meantime, it's providing good fuel economy: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/86gtsat/86

Nope. Break-in period is 1000m/1600km, and I've only done about 1,100km.
Wow! You've done 1100km in a week! I'm only at 320+
btw have you managed to sort out the issue with your usb audio?
jonnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #55
LeftFootBrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post
Wow! You've done 1100km in a week! I'm only at 320+
Yep and virtually all on good roads other than the transit to and from them. The good news is that I predict your emotional bond is only going to grow stronger as you get more of an opportunity to do the same.
Quote:
btw have you managed to sort out the issue with your usb audio
Not yet, but I have provided updates here.

A few other things I don't think I've mentioned yet...
- iPhone audio. If you plug your phone in before you start the car up you have access to both iPod and Bluetooth modes. Until the next version of iOS is released you need to switch to iPod mode to be able to select the track you want to play. The available commands are extremely restricted when using bluetooth (but again, that's going to change with the iPhone's next iOS update, I believe). I have yet to test whether there is a perceivable difference in sound quality between both modes. I have also yet to use the voice command feature to find tracks. But just finding the physical voice command button whilst driving a RHD vehicle is enough to make you at least just a little disappointed with the unit's designers.

- Hands free phone support. I haven't used it much but so far, so ordinary. Apparently I sound grainy. And that demands more effort from the listener than I'd ideally like. You can tune the mic level and I haven't done that yet but I'm not encouraged, particularly given how basic I perceive the rest of the audio system to be.

- Side mirrors. I don't think they are heated and therefore may be prone to fogging. But you can flap them quickly and rather flirtatiously if you happen to feel the need. Not surprisingly, no passenger side mirror parking assist, either, in that it does not automatically adjust to conveniently point at the curb when you put it in reverse. I have yet to do a lot of parallel parking with my trial of the SAE mirror setup I referred to previously, so not sure if I'll hate it for that. If I do, installation of a reversing camera might prove to be the right answer but any such purchase needs to wait until I've decided what I'm doing to improve the sound quality (as 3rd party audio units can't be guaranteed to work with the oem camera).

- Seat heaters. Good for our conditions (according to my lady). Just note that they are operated via a rocker switch that provides two modes (rapid and normal) you can enjoy experimenting with.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeftFootBrake For This Useful Post:
os86 (07-03-2012), Surok (07-04-2012)
Old 06-30-2012, 08:18 AM   #56
FT86_Zero

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
hey, man, can you post some pp of your baby???
FT86_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote