follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-30-2014, 09:29 PM   #505
TOMIMOTO

Drives: MY00 Impreza 2.5RS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloist View Post
It depends on the port installed accessories. I highly doubt dealers would mark it up with cold cash, but you never know.

Typically, if it starts at 30k and just under 31k for a manual, then I think typical Out-The-Door prices would be around 33k-35k.

When the dealers add the clear protective film, that can potentially add up well over $1000 over the base price.
Geeze. $35k for an FRS!? Just for a body kit and yellow color? I'll take a WRX STI for that price and have some cash left over.
TOMIMOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TOMIMOTO For This Useful Post:
Mr. Banana (08-31-2014), NIN69 (08-31-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 11:59 PM   #506
Canibalistik

Drives: 2013 Scion 10th Anniversary FR-S
Garage
Anyone have thoughts on the TRD suspension? I'm considering taking a look into what my employee discount would do for me on them..
Canibalistik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:24 AM   #507
trinxified

Drives: Subaru BRZ Aozora Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibalistik View Post
Anyone have thoughts on the TRD suspension? I'm considering taking a look into what my employee discount would do for me on them..
I think they are twice the price of Eibach Pro-Kit and with a less drop/quality...
trinxified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:02 PM   #508
Mr. Banana

Drives: A Rickshaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMIMOTO View Post
Geeze. $35k for an FRS!? Just for a body kit and yellow color? I'll take a WRX STI for that price and have some cash left over.
Honestly, I would have begged to differ in the beginning... However, the more I contemplate the purchase of this RS 1.0, it just doesn't make sense to me anymore.

I mean, the Scion Marketing Team has done a great job on this version to tempt me... But they've priced it in a way where I'm considering my options more carefully.

It was initially supposed to be under $30,000... But then it was revealed that the $700-$800 destination fee was an addition. And then you add the TRD wheels & tires on top of that for around $2k (I feel this version looks more complete with the wheels). If Scion could have priced this version just under $30k including the wheels and destination fee, it would make much more sense to me... Especially when Pure Pricing disables negotiations quite a bit (unless you have a trade-in). This is only my thought and I don't expect anyone else to agree with me.

I will admit though, when I see the RS 1.0 on the road, it will definitely be a looker and I'll display some envy.

Last edited by Mr. Banana; 08-31-2014 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Grammar edit.
Mr. Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:44 PM   #509
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,130 Times in 1,195 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinxified View Post
I think they are twice the price of Eibach Pro-Kit and with a less drop/quality...
The price on the Scion website includes installation, and though the springs are expensive, they do come with a warranty when installed by the dealer...
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:23 PM   #510
yellowfrs
511/1500

Drives: Angry Banana
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Banana View Post
Honestly, I would have begged to differ in the beginning... However, the more I contemplate the purchase of this RS 1.0, it just doesn't make sense to me anymore.

I mean, the Scion Marketing Team has done a great job on this version to tempt me... But they've priced it in a way where I'm considering my options more carefully.

It was initially supposed to be under $30,000... But then it was revealed that the $700-$800 destination fee was an addition. And then you add the TRD wheels & tires on top of that for around $2k (I feel this version looks more complete with the wheels). If Scion could have priced this version just under $30k including the wheels and destination fee, it would make much more sense to me... Especially when Pure Pricing disables negotiations quite a bit (unless you have a trade-in). This is only my thought and I don't expect anyone else to agree with me.

I will admit though, when I see the RS 1.0 on the road, it will definitely be a looker and I'll display some envy.
Most would argue they want to save the money and use it to customize the car themselves. Don't forget when you do, the value of your car actually decreases. Of course you can undo the mods but you lost money on the parts now.

The most valuable thing of a limited edition car that is customized at the factory is that it holds its value extremely well. I owned a Mugen Si before and I enjoyed driving it much more than a regular civic si, but the best thing was the money I got from selling it. I kept it stock, babied it, and in the end recouped pretty much the extra cost I paid for it.

I figured the yuzu color being an RS color will be unique so I am betting that fine examples years later will still be worth much more than a regular one. That is, if the owner was even going to sell it.
yellowfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yellowfrs For This Useful Post:
Fly Guy (09-01-2014), Mr. Banana (09-01-2014)
Old 09-01-2014, 03:54 PM   #511
Mr. Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowfrs View Post
Most would argue they want to save the money and use it to customize the car themselves. Don't forget when you do, the value of your car actually decreases. Of course you can undo the mods but you lost money on the parts now.

The most valuable thing of a limited edition car that is customized at the factory is that it holds its value extremely well. I owned a Mugen Si before and I enjoyed driving it much more than a regular civic si, but the best thing was the money I got from selling it. I kept it stock, babied it, and in the end recouped pretty much the extra cost I paid for it.

I figured the yuzu color being an RS color will be unique so I am betting that fine examples years later will still be worth much more than a regular one. That is, if the owner was even going to sell it.
You have a valid point. I personally agree that modified from the factory with genuine OEM parts has more value than aftermarket. Btw, I'm not as familiar in the Honda scene, but the Mugen Si is very appealing, indeed.

I know that Scion has come out with and will continue to come out with additional limited / special editions (judging from the pattern of the prior 10 Series and Monogram)... And this one might be the most tempting as of yet.

Wouldn't one think that the overall demand of these particular special editions diminish with the varieties and counting? Or more importantly, I should assume that these unique iterations much rather have the priority of satisfying the few who may be on the fence or on the look out for that version.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:27 PM   #512
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowfrs View Post

I am in total agreement with your first paragraph about just staying stock and maintaining the car's value (and perhaps even strengthening it, if it becomes a platform that many people end up modding but has a strong demand after production ceases) rather than essentially devaluing the car with mods that you likely won't make money from during a part out. Just look at Evo VIIIs and IXs... even modded ones still sell for a good amount as long as they're not in bad shape. Stock ones will fetch quite a bit.

I'm 50-50 on your second paragraph. Regardless of my view of the Mugen Civic Si as a whole, I can understand why it retained its value. For that platform, it was pretty much the only special edition that Honda made. Like pretty much every other Scion ever made, it has a special edition almost year after year, and the numbers weren't all that limited (contrasting to even your Mugen Civic Si being one of a thousand). So one year, they have the 10 Series limited edition, the next year, they have the Monogram Series limited edition, the next year, they have the RS 1.0 limited edition. Sure, out of the three limited editions released so far, it does have the most updates to set it apart, but it's the law of diminishing returns... it doesn't seem as special, especially when you look at the numbers... 2,500 10 Series, 2,000 Monograms and now 1,500 RS 1.0s. The numbers are getting smaller, but it's still quite a few, especially when there were around 18,000 FR-Ss sold throughout 2013, contrasting to the 2008 Civic Si having sales of 15,000 just for the coupes, so I'd assume the sedan sales would bring it to maybe 25,000-30,000.

Long story short, yes, the Scion limited editions will probably be worth a little bit more than the standard models, but not by anything significant, when comparing otherwise identical models (i.e. year, mileage, condition).
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeeezNuuuts83 For This Useful Post:
Mr. Banana (09-01-2014)
Old 09-01-2014, 06:15 PM   #513
trinxified

Drives: Subaru BRZ Aozora Edition
I would've hold off on buying my BRZ blue series and get this one instead if only it came with other color options. Yellow isn't the best for me...
trinxified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:49 PM   #514
Mr. Banana

Don't know if this side shot has been posted here... Thought it gives a better view with the TRD wheels. Found it on the Scion facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/scion

Looks pretty good...

Last edited by Mr. Banana; 09-08-2014 at 12:40 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:52 PM   #515
Burrcold

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,586 Times in 776 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
I would've hold off on buying my BRZ blue series and get this one instead if only it came with other color options. Yellow isn't the best for me...
Same. If this had come in white, I would've traded in my BRZ for sure. I absolutely would never buy a yellow car.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:20 PM   #516
Canibalistik

Drives: 2013 Scion 10th Anniversary FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Actually, I'd be installing them so that price of install on their site wouldn't be a part of that, plus I get them at cost plus 10% as an employee of SET (South East Toyota). Less drop...Eibach is usually just spring kit, this TRD set up comes with drop springs AND what look to be adjustable coil-overs! There is no way Eibach's drop would touch that if they are what they look like. ALSO, on another note...QUALITY?! I mean...was the car designed by Eibach?! lol No offense, but not a lot of aftermarket products, penny for penny would touch the actual TRD factory/aftermarket.

I had two 7th gen. Celica's years ago and both ended up with TRD Kazuma Exhausts...they were amazing, quality and an exhaust note unmatched by others.
Canibalistik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:43 PM   #517
yellowfrs
511/1500

Drives: Angry Banana
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Banana View Post
Wouldn't one think that the overall demand of these particular special editions diminish with the varieties and counting? Or more importantly, I should assume that these unique iterations much rather have the priority of satisfying the few who may be on the fence or on the look out for that version.
Very true because that is the case for me. I have been holding off buying one of the twins because I wanted something more special, and I always wanted to have a yellow sports car. I almost pulled the trigger on a 10 series but I didn't. My wait is finally paying off. I can already see myself driving away in my rs1.0 with a big grin in less than a month's time.

BTW, found this interview from few months back but because it is not on youtube i am guessing some people may not have seen it:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...lease/7771907/
yellowfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yellowfrs For This Useful Post:
Mr. Banana (09-01-2014)
Old 09-01-2014, 10:53 PM   #518
Burrcold

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,586 Times in 776 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibalistik View Post
Actually, I'd be installing them so that price of install on their site wouldn't be a part of that, plus I get them at cost plus 10% as an employee of SET (South East Toyota). Less drop...Eibach is usually just spring kit, this TRD set up comes with drop springs AND what look to be adjustable coil-overs! There is no way Eibach's drop would touch that if they are what they look like. ALSO, on another note...QUALITY?! I mean...was the car designed by Eibach?! lol No offense, but not a lot of aftermarket products, penny for penny would touch the actual TRD factory/aftermarket.

I had two 7th gen. Celica's years ago and both ended up with TRD Kazuma Exhausts...they were amazing, quality and an exhaust note unmatched by others.
If you owned two 7th gen Celica's (I owned 3) you would know that quality is just as high with Eibach, since THEY make the TRD springs for both the Celica and FR-S. There were never any quality differences between the Eibach Pro-Kit and the almost identical TRD springs.