follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-01-2012, 02:51 AM   #477
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
yeah but that is what the conversation turned into. his initial complaint was "turbo lag surprise at corners." i just dont think that has to be the systems behaviors. im not saying i want fi but im not going to say i "hate" it. on a personal note i wish it would come na but play nice with fi. not sure how i feel about the compression ratio but on the other hand i will never turbo one if i get it
It's not really a function of turbo lag as much as it's a function of the non-linear powerband. A lot of drivers complain about how much such sudden power delivery upsets the balance of a car mid-corner. You have to change how you drive around it, certainly.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #478
3MI Racing
Pro Subie Engine Nerd

Drives: empty spot for an FR-S/BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
It's not really a function of turbo lag as much as it's a function of the non-linear powerband. A lot of drivers complain about how much such sudden power delivery upsets the balance of a car mid-corner. You have to change how you drive around it, certainly.
I think transient response of the turbo system (intake volume being part of this)is a lot of trouble that drivers have, assuming they know how to drive and are in the powerband. If they're in the powerband it isn't lag because it isn't an RPM outside of the turbos spool.

The inability to adjust to transient response is much like a marksman not being able to adjust to a moving target when shooting.

Violent onset of boost can also be attributed to tuning technique/methodolgy or a bad match of gearing to torque curve.

With that said, I'm still anxious to get an NA build done. As I stated earlier under my Homemade WRX account, it's like going back to basics
But once that's out of the way, I can start making some more serious power.
3MI Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #479
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

You want transient response? Downsize the turbo and/or go twin-scroll. There is no magic snail, physics doesn't work that way.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #480
3MI Racing
Pro Subie Engine Nerd

Drives: empty spot for an FR-S/BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
You want transient response? Downsize the turbo and/or go twin-scroll. There is no magic snail, physics doesn't work that way.
I never said there was a 'magic snail' and downsizing the turbo doesn't change just change transient response, it changes the powerband/torque curve (reduces lag).

...and I don't think I'll be taking my physics from you because they CAN work that way. If you alter cam phasing, fueling, igntion timing or exhaust temps; you can alter the transient response. Likewise the mass of the compressor and turbine wheel effects transient resonse while still on the same size turbo.

Also you'll find that twinscroll has diminshing returns with the higher the RPM. The strength of the exhaust pulses start to diminish and the signal becomes flattened. Even the people who did the originial development in the diesel world start to find this to be true...in the 3000 RPM range. If you don't believe me, call and engineer at Honeywell, Holset or Borg Warner, if you know one. If you need a few numbers I can give them to you.

/threadjack...back to NA talk.
3MI Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #481
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Not really talking at you Micah, more at the masses.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #482
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcasso87 View Post
Do you have anything better to do than argue about everything on a forum? Seriously man nothing is sadder than seeing a person who thinks he knows everything on a damn internet forum and just arguing against anything he thinks is wrong....... Im seriously starting to think if i say i like coffee you will argue about why tea is better!!
well the personal attacks are nice. im not even arguing, im just saying that your supports to your claim dont really support your claim. saying you dont want forced induction because of turbo lag is like saying you dont like sex because of aids. i dont think i know everything but i dont know why you think arguing against things i think are wrong is sad.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:36 PM   #483
old greg
Rocket Surgeon

Drives: PSM GGA OMG
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
saying you dont want forced induction because of turbo lag is like saying you dont like sex because of aids.
Come on now, that's hardly a fair analogy.
old greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #484
fatoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by old greg View Post
Come on now, that's hardly a fair analogy.
maybe not but not all forced induction suffers from turbo lag just like all sexual partners have hiv. im aware there are many downsides of FI. turbo lag surprising you out of a corner shouldnt be happening in a properly tuned car and linear power isnt unique or inherent to n/a. were all allowed to have our own opinions. our opinions dont even have to be backed by facts but to sit here and give reasons that dont apply to the spectrum of FI is just silly reasoning
Old 05-01-2012, 11:17 PM   #485
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,129 Times in 1,194 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
you could say thats more a gearing problem than an induction problem. a properly sized turbo is going to have 0 lag out of a corner since you shouldnt be shifting mid corner. also there are superchargers...they dont suffer from turbo lag
But superchargers do come with parasitic loss, added weight, pulleys wear down, or you have to address increased heat...all extra issues do deal with....
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:35 PM   #486
fatoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
But superchargers do come with parasitic loss, added weight, pulleys wear down, or you have to address increased heat...all extra issues do deal with....
yeah those are better reasons except maybe for weight. i think with power equal FI can take that as an advantage...maybe. its looking like im a little bit of a forced induction fanboy right now. im not, im just saying the reasons listed in that little debate werent really reasons to not want FI
Old 05-01-2012, 11:49 PM   #487
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
yeah those are better reasons except maybe for weight. i think with power equal FI can take that as an advantage...maybe. its looking like im a little bit of a forced induction fanboy right now. im not, im just saying the reasons listed in that little debate werent really reasons to not want FI
I think there was a symptom/problem misunderstanding. Mid corner lag was the symptom. Poorly sized turbo was the problem.

I still believe there will always be the transient response issue (however slight) with turbos, but they should never upset a car mid-corner.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:01 AM   #488
Lonewolf

I probably shouldn't say this since I haven't even driven the car, but sometimes I wish the motor was 2.2 NA with more aggressive tuning/cams and about 230 hp...I think it would have been perfect at that point (and also 5G's more).
Old 05-02-2012, 12:20 AM   #489
Subie
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 SSM DZE BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
I probably shouldn't say this since I haven't even driven the car, but sometimes I wish the motor was 2.2 NA with more aggressive tuning/cams and about 230 hp...I think it would have been perfect at that point (and also 5G's more).
I was with you until the "5G's" bit. The price is where it needs to be in order to be competitive. 230 HP would not be enough for $5k more.
Subie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #490
Lonewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie View Post
I was with you until the "5G's" bit. The price is where it needs to be in order to be competitive. 230 HP would not be enough for $5k more.

I don't want it to be 5G's more, I am just saying that with that type of powerplant, it probably would be starting to creep up to that range.

As it is now, the FRS is at the upper point of my spending budget...I am not making payments unless I can get something like 0.9% APR, so 30K would probably make me reconsider buying the car.

* I have a feeling that the Sti version of the BRZ will be at least 5 thousand more, with around 230-245 hp (if they decide not to turbocharge it). Granted, it would be coming with better brakes, tires, and suspension in addition to the power bump.

If the STI Brz is turbocharged, we could be looking at much more than 30-45 extra hp...but who knows until it is actually released.

Last edited by Lonewolf; 05-02-2012 at 11:05 AM.