follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 11-12-2017, 08:54 AM   #4271
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by q335r49 View Post
So im installing the supercharger right now, and I noticed that the oil resevoir for the supercharger oil is higher than the supercharger shaft, contrary to the rotrext directions ... anyone think this is an issue / mount it somewhere else?

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk
Interesting. The Rotrex manual is very clear on that. How much higher than the shaft is the fluid level in the reservoir?

ETA: Just checked out a few pics. Yeah I'd mount it elsewhere.

Last edited by gtengr; 11-12-2017 at 09:13 AM.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:21 AM   #4272
Deep Six

Drives: 2013 FRS / 2013 427 Vert
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcp1 View Post
Update on the new RXK valve. It seems to make the power band smoother and the torque around 3-3500rpm seems a bit higher. That might be since the weather here is getting colder now. Its also a bit louder. No complaints.

The recirculating noise my car was making when cruising or decelerating had gotten louder than my 3" exhaust overtime. Figured I would give this valve a try and keep the JR as a spare. Noticeable reduction in recirculation sound, closer to what it sounded like new, and quicker back on boost performance when you are simulating lift for corner then hard back on it for exit. I'm certain that it is not a placebo affect as I have enough hard miles on the car to tell the difference. It may well be the original valve has issues that are gradual rather than all at once.
2013 FR-S Asphalt BC Coils/Rev Works UEL header/HKS Front Pipe/Racing Brake BBK/Shorai LW Battery/ACT 6 Puck Clutch/FBM Radiator & Oil Pan/JR Oil Cooler/Jackson Racing High Boost C30/Rev Works Built Motor
2016 Audi TTS APR Tuned
Deep Six is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deep Six For This Useful Post:
mrg666 (11-12-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 11:25 AM   #4273
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,042 Times in 687 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtengr View Post
Interesting. The Rotrex manual is very clear on that. How much higher than the shaft is the fluid level in the reservoir?

ETA: Just checked out a few pics. Yeah I'd mount it elsewhere.
Jackson Racing has extensively tested this system. If there was any oil circulation problem, all JRSC Rotrex units out there should have failed already. Are you making recommendations just looking at pictures against the installation instructions of Jackson Racing?
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:29 AM   #4274
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Six View Post
The recirculating noise my car was making when cruising or decelerating had gotten louder than my 3" exhaust overtime. Figured I would give this valve a try and keep the JR as a spare. Noticeable reduction in recirculation sound, closer to what it sounded like new, and quicker back on boost performance when you are simulating lift for corner then hard back on it for exit. I'm certain that it is not a placebo affect as I have enough hard miles on the car to tell the difference. It may well be the original valve has issues that are gradual rather than all at once.
So you have the same experience I posted earlier. Can you also try the stiffest spring?
Old 11-12-2017, 12:56 PM   #4275
gtengr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
Jackson Racing has extensively tested this system. If there was any oil circulation problem, all JRSC Rotrex units out there should have failed already.
No, that's not necessarily true. Do you think it's ok to run a lightweight crank pulley because not all FA20's fail with one installed, despite the sound logic behind having a damper? Some of the Rotrex units have had issues. I'm not saying they are due to this discrepancy, but you're suggesting that JR R&D > Rotrex R&D. I would just like to hear a clearer explanation why other than "they didn't have any issues in testing."

Also, I'm amused that you would cite JR's extensive testing of this kit when your very next post is about replacing one of the parts that comes with it due to repeated failures.

Quote:
Are you making recommendations just looking at pictures against the installation instructions of Jackson Racing?
Yes, the oil reservoir looks to be higher in the pictures and per the other posters reports. I don't know by how much, but if it's easy to adjust or relocate, I would. Why not?
Old 11-12-2017, 02:08 PM   #4276
Deep Six

Drives: 2013 FRS / 2013 427 Vert
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
So you have the same experience I posted earlier. Can you also try the stiffest spring?
Went right to the yellow spring
2013 FR-S Asphalt BC Coils/Rev Works UEL header/HKS Front Pipe/Racing Brake BBK/Shorai LW Battery/ACT 6 Puck Clutch/FBM Radiator & Oil Pan/JR Oil Cooler/Jackson Racing High Boost C30/Rev Works Built Motor
2016 Audi TTS APR Tuned
Deep Six is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deep Six For This Useful Post:
mrg666 (11-12-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 02:41 PM   #4277
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtengr View Post
Also, I'm amused that you would cite JR's extensive testing of this kit when your very next post is about replacing one of the parts that comes with it due to repeated failures.
The other discussion is about replacing a recirculation valve, there is no design change. We are discussing if it is identical while waiting a response from JR. Plus, I own the kit and running it right now. If something goes wrong, my engine is on the line. My posts are based on experience and data.

Do you know if the oil circulation is "natural" or "forced"? If it is forced, it doesn't matter if the reservoir is a little above or below the compressor level. When the engine and compressor are running, there is a very clear temperature delta between the inlet and outlet hoses, showing that the oil circulation is working. So there is no reason to worry about the location of reservoir in the instructions. Plus, for the first prime right after installation, I would prefer having the reservoir higher than the compressor for gravitational help.

And, yes, JR recommendation is more important than Rotrex recommendation. They worked directly on our cars.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:28 PM   #4278
gtengr

Quote:
When the engine and compressor are running, there is a very clear temperature delta between the inlet and outlet hoses, showing that the oil circulation is working. So there is no reason to worry about the location of reservoir in the instructions.
Having the reservoir fluid level higher than the sc pressurizes the seals in the sc.

Quote:
And, yes, JR recommendation is more important than Rotrex recommendation. They worked directly on our cars.
The operation of the Rotrex oil system is independent of the car it's on. You should read the Rotrex maintenance pdf and count how many times they say not to put the reservoir above the charger, then try to think of a logical reason why those important directions aren't important on an 86.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:26 PM   #4279
Jackson Racing

Drives: JR FR-S,
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by q335r49 View Post
So im installing the supercharger right now, and I noticed that the oil resevoir for the supercharger oil is higher than the supercharger shaft, contrary to the rotrext directions ... anyone think this is an issue / mount it somewhere else?

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk
The lower reservoir location applies to C8 and C15 unit seals. C30 and C38 units have a different seal setup. Example: Our prototype K-Track setup on the Super Lap Battle Unlimited FWD record killing Integra Type R would not function if that rule applied to C30/C38, as that unit is located on the bottom of the engine.

We have been a lead Rotrex partner for over 11 years now and have been building the kits for a while. We are familiar with the units and their design parameters.
Jackson Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jackson Racing For This Useful Post:
gtengr (11-13-2017), Jmonty (11-13-2017), rns294 (11-14-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 01:52 PM   #4280
Sapphireho
helmholtz resonator

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,363 Times in 8,670 Posts
Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by revaholic View Post
Why does this seem to happen to everyone eventually

Really? I hope you are wrong.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:59 PM   #4281
Jackson Racing

Drives: JR FR-S,
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithr View Post
I'm seeing a lot of positive experience feedback about this part, but @CSG Mike expressed some concerns.

Mike? JR (Oscar?)? Anyone care to weigh in on whether this is effective (anecdotally it appears to be) and safe for the JRSC setup?
The included bypass valve is an OEM level valve used in a lot of OEM applications. We have used it reliably in all our personal street and race vehicles. Our STU race car used an off the self valve, just like you have in your kits.

Obviously, people want different noises from their car, so aftermarket valves are popular. Also, racing applications and areas above 15psi will require a different valve. We use a name brand, reputable aftermarket valve on one of our race development vehicles. This development vehicle is running 20psi and has very different design parameters.

We recommend running a recirculation valve for best transient response and emissions compliance for street vehicles. The most important thing to remember is make sure you run the SOFTEST spring on an "adjustable spring" valve. The vacuum connection should be controlling the valve, not the spring. Too much spring pressure will not allow the engine vacuum to properly pull the valve back. This causes compressor surge and will damage the Rotrex unit.

Last edited by Jackson Racing; 11-29-2017 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Typo
Jackson Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jackson Racing For This Useful Post:
CxG (01-10-2018), Deep Six (11-13-2017), ExpertZero (11-13-2017), Jmonty (11-13-2017), keithr (11-13-2017), mrg666 (11-13-2017), rns294 (11-14-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 02:12 PM   #4282
amcp1

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
@JR thank you for setting the record straight.
amcp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:56 PM   #4283
q335r49

Drives: 2013 scion fr-s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just finished the install (and the 70 mile break-in) and am wondering if I can get a few "reality checks"...

1) From the ProECU logging of Manifold Absolute Pressure, I'm seeing 2.5 psi at idle between 12.5-18 psi of boost when between 2000-6700 rpm. Is this expected?

2) Oil temprature peaked at 100 C for the test drive. What is the acceptable range for engine oil tempratures?

Last edited by q335r49; 11-13-2017 at 08:06 PM.
q335r49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:06 PM   #4284
keithr

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited (DGM)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Racing View Post
The included bypass valve is an OEM level valve used in a lot of OEM applications. We have used it reliably in all our personal street and race vehicles. Our STU race car used an off the self valve, just like you have in your kits.

Obviously, people want different noises from their car, so aftermarket valves are popular. Also, racing applications and areas above 15psi will require a different valve. We use a name brand, reputable aftermarket valve on one of our race development vehicles. This development vehicle is running 20psi and has very different design parameters.

We recommend running a recirculation valve for best transient response and emissions compliance for street vehicles. The most important thing to remember is make sure you run the SOFTEST spring on a "adjustable spring" valve. The vacuum connection should be controlling the valve, not the spring. Too much spring pressure will not allow the engine vacuum to properly pull the valve back. This causes compressor surge and will damage the Rotrex unit.
Thank you -- this is exactly the response I was hoping for.

Question: you are pretty adamant that the softest spring be used in the non-JR-supplied recirc valve scenarios, but folks are reporting the best observed results with the stiffer/stiffest springs in their kits. I'm not second guessing your advice -- I'm simply curious why this is?
keithr is offline   Reply With Quote