follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 05-12-2012, 01:00 AM   #407
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
maybe, although its certainly debatable. im fairly certain that 35k, 40k, 50k or any number really in total will have a faster mustang than an sti
Faster in what way? Are you talking about modding cost over OTD price? You can make a stang faster when it's not a stang anymore. I hope we're not talking about V8 stang here.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:05 AM   #408
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
Faster in what way? Are you talking about modding cost over OTD price? You can make a stang faster when it's not a stang anymore. I hope we're not talking about V8 stang here.
I dont really know what any of that means
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:07 AM   #409
Capt Canuck

Drives: BMW E36 323is
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
What he means (IMHO) is take $35k, $45k, $50k for each, to buy and mod a Mustang and buy and mod a WRX and you should always end up with the Mustang putting down a faster lap at VIR, which is what those times further up the page refer to.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:08 AM   #410
Dark
Elite Padawan

Quote:
I dont really know what any of that means
Take sometimes to read it bro.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:13 AM   #411
Dark
Elite Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Canuck View Post
What he means (IMHO) is take $35k, $45k, $50k, to buy and mod a Mustang and a WRX and you should always end up with the Mustang putting down a faster lap at VIR, which is what those times further up the page refer to.
If he talks about dollar for dollar performance, yeah. If he talks about spending money the the mod after getting the car, I doubt it. I buy a Stang and swap in a high hp mod-friendly engine, but it's not a Stang anymore.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:34 AM   #412
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
If he talks about dollar for dollar performance, yeah. If he talks about spending money the the mod after getting the car, I doubt it. I buy a Stang and swap in a high hp mod-friendly engine, but it's not a Stang anymore.
since my job pays me in dollars and i dont think there is a place where people will just give you one of the two cars i am talking about dollar for dollar. the fact that you are talking about taking the motor out of the mustang tells me that you know next to nothing about the car
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:43 AM   #413
Dark
Elite Padawan

Quote:
since my job pays me in dollars and i dont think there is a place where people will just give you one of the two cars i am talking about dollar for dollar. the fact that you are talking about taking the motor out of the mustang tells me that you know next to nothing about the car
Exactly, I know nothing about Mustang except spec I can find on their website. I've never seen anyone power-mod a stang V6 other than bolt ons either, maybe I wasn't paying attention enough. It's just not appealing to me in term of size, design, and purpose of the car.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:47 AM   #414
Subie4life

Drives: GRD STi
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The car both Mustang and BRZ owners fear the most.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY3R00lTHuo"]NASCAR - (Flintstone Style) - YouTube[/ame]
Subie4life is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Subie4life For This Useful Post:
Grateful Dave (05-28-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #415
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,965 Times in 11,387 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie4life View Post
The car both Mustang and BRZ owners fear the most.
"250DP at 10000 RPM" (DP = Dinosaur Power). Hmmm, I wonder how that translates into HP?

Let's do some simplistic math. A draft horse, who supposed produces 1HP weighs in at about 1440lbs on the low end of the adult size. A Brontosaurus (OK, Apatosaurus), (the draft horse of its day, according to the historical records (the Flintstones))lower weight range was 28.6 x that at around 40,000lbs.

For the sake of argument, lets assume a direct correlation between weight between the two. That means a 1DP = 28.6 HP. Barney's engine then produces, by what I think is a conservative estimate, 7,142.9 HP.

Looking at the wayback machine, I found this reference on a forum for car enthusiasts from the time:

"Oh sure, Barney's car has all that DP at the top end, but what's it like on the low end? Also, it looks like it needs to be lowered at least 20MM and those rockstone tires will never survive on the track".
Dadhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
DEnd (05-24-2012), Grateful Dave (05-28-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #416
Dark
Elite Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
"250DP at 10000 RPM" (DP = Dinosaur Power). Hmmm, I wonder how that translates into HP?

Let's do some simplistic math. A draft horse, who supposed produces 1HP weighs in at about 1440lbs on the low end of the adult size. A Brontosaurus (OK, Apatosaurus), (the draft horse of its day, according to the historical records (the Flintstones))lower weight range was 28.6 x that at around 40,000lbs.

For the sake of argument, lets assume a direct correlation between weight between the two. That means a 1DP = 28.6 HP. Barney's engine then produces, by what I think is a conservative estimate, 7,142.9 HP.

Looking at the wayback machine, I found this reference on a forum for car enthusiasts from the time:

"Oh sure, Barney's car has all that DP at the top end, but what's it like on the low end? Also, it looks like it needs to be lowered at least 20MM and those rockstone tires will never survive on the track".
Where can I get one of those?
Dadhawk (05-12-2012)
Old 05-13-2012, 03:32 AM   #417
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
I don't even think there are power mods for V6 Stangs. The previous iterations of the V6 were garbage anyway and the tuners recognized that.

But seriously, this thread is still here?
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #418
Tbomb 25
Balance over power...

Drives: 13 Hot Lava Frs, 88 Supra Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
Lap times favor HP/torque and sticky tires. The Mustang won because it's more powerful with better tires and decent handling. The only point you could possibly count for the BRZ was even getting close(which just shows how silly the track comparison was).

The Mustang v6 that is getting track tested is the one that costs as much as the FRS(some people said you need to order one). You'd have to buy a late model year Mustang GT during a sale to get it at the same price of a BRZ Limited. Check the market prices.

If you care about lap times, there are better cars than the Twins.

Edit: Dagnabbit Dimman you posted before me.
This isnt true you dont have to order 1....but maybe for your color you want and recaro seats you do. You can have the "V6 Performance Pack" with the base model....i priced it out for $27880 msrp. with sync and the recaros and you can get the X-plan or get it thru USAA bank for around $24700. Even a few dealers have quoted me in that range or $500 over invoice.

As the Mustang sits well under 30k it is probably by the numbers the best performance buy in a very long time in this price bracket and the base is atleast 50-60 pounds lighter than the Premium maybe even more. I thought i wouldnt like the Base's interior and i ended up rather liking it a lot even without the recaros...their are improvements to the materials that cant be seen in the pics with new softtouch materials and it was equiped well to. The modding potential is the best i've seen in a N/A V6 very impressive engine that nearly sounds like a high revving V8,me myself i dont need track apts,leather and different color lighting..the base is just fine and the lightest of all the Mustangs this is a well sorted package as is the FRS/BRZ,MX-5 Miata and the Genesis.

This is a great time to be a car guy or gal we even have great FWD and AWD cars like the WRX,GTI,Civic SI,Mini Cooper S,Mazdaspeed 3,Sonic LTZ....and even the new Veloster Turbo,Fiat 500 Abarth,and the Focus ST all these cars are under $30k and all these cars handle well regardless of their drivetrain positioning cars not handling well is a thing of the past....
Tbomb 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tbomb 25 For This Useful Post:
blu_ (05-22-2012)
Old 05-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #419
Tbomb 25
Balance over power...

......also the V6 Mustang tested without the trackpack had 2.73 gears the biggest reason for its much slower times...
Old 05-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #420
Tbomb 25
Balance over power...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie4life View Post
Who in their right mind is gonna purchase a V6 Mustang? Come on fellows this is a snow job by the media to drive interest for the BRZ. But we all know the real Mustang is the GT and its main purpose is a so called muscle car. Mainly for the street (light to light) and freeway challenges. Its not a fair comparison even with the so called track package. How many Mustang owners track their car? None! Its all straights for the majority. And that brings up another issue for the BRZ crowd. Please track your car and not make it a daily commuter or some stop and go traffic econo gas saver! It was purpose built for the track! And there its many strengths and enjoyment will be had. Stay away from the boulevards and freeway challenges. Just my two cents.
Your a moron...this is the dumbest statement on this thread....
The Following User Says Thank You to Tbomb 25 For This Useful Post:
blu_ (05-22-2012)

Tags
brz forum, brz forums, brz mustang comparison, brz versus mustang, brz vs mustang, subaru brz, subaru brz forum, subaru brz forums, subaru brz mustang, subaru brz review, subaru brz reviews, subaru brz video, subaru brz videos