follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-27-2009, 02:36 PM   #29
White Comet
Resident Skeptic

Drives: '04 WRX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyde01 View Post
maybe all the posers will buy the subie automatic version and only true hardcore FR junkies will buy the toyota version..
Keep telling yourself that.
White Comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:06 PM   #30
Bochet
( . ) ( . )

Drives: 2001 2.5RS 4Dr 5MT
It'd be stupid stupid stupid for Subaru to release this car with AWD. It's already going to be a slow car that's fun to drive fast. I don't have a problem with that, in fact, I like it. I'd love 180HP, 6MT, RWD, LSD, 2600lbs, $23,000; sounds like an awesome package.

If you equip the car with AWD, it's going to be heavier, get worse MPG and be much slower than the RWD counterpart. In a car this small with this little power, AWD is entirely unnecessary (drives 01 2.5RS).

Based on the photoshops of the Subaru, the Toyota looks much better to boot.

I'd think that their version with STi guts would also be closer to $32K
Bochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:09 PM   #31
Supra

Drives: Supra
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Very nice..
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:27 PM   #32
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Drives: Yamaha R3, moonslate 2018 GT Black
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bochet View Post
It'd be stupid stupid stupid for Subaru to release this car with AWD. It's already going to be a slow car that's fun to drive fast. I don't have a problem with that, in fact, I like it. I'd love 180HP, 6MT, RWD, LSD, 2600lbs, $23,000; sounds like an awesome package.
it all depends on how light the ft-86 is gonna be, which hasn't been announced yet. i personally am not interested at all in AWD or boost, and i'm glad that the FR non-boosted version is the only confirmed version at this point. however, if they can keep the weight of the toyota version down, then the subie version with AWD would still be relatively light. if they can build an AWD version around 3000 lbs and stick the 300hp STI motor in there, you'd have a nice set up that would be competitive with the 370Z in power to weight ratio and price. it'd be like an AWD hyundai genesis that's a little more compact. basically it would be 2 door impreza. it's not something i'm interested in at all but it seems to have potential. i still prefer FR, lower weight, low center of gravity and more idealized front/rear weight distribution, not to mention lower msrp.
cyde01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:33 PM   #33
scape

Drives: yaris
only 220lbs more? maybe it is possible; 120-140 for AWD, 60-80 or so for the turbo stuff and larger radiator.
this fits in with the concept that these two cars are in differening leagues (toyo and subie that is), but at 220 more lbs and probably 60-80 more hp, this will also be maddening to know that the subie will sweep the ft-86 in power-weight.
subie: maybe 1:11
toyo: maybe 1:13.5
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:33 PM   #34
Bochet
( . ) ( . )

Drives: 2001 2.5RS 4Dr 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyde01 View Post
it all depends on how light the ft-86 is gonna be, which hasn't been announced yet. i personally am not interested at all in AWD or boost, and i'm glad that the FR non-boosted version is the only confirmed version at this point. however, if they can keep the weight of the toyota version down, then the subie version with AWD would still be relatively light. if they can build an AWD version around 3000 lbs and stick the 300hp STI motor in there, you'd have a nice set up that would be competitive with the 370Z in power to weight ratio and price. it'd be like an AWD hyundai genesis that's a little more compact. basically it would be 2 door impreza. it's not something i'm interested in at all but it seems to have potential. i still prefer FR, lower weight, low center of gravity and more idealized front/rear weight distribution, not to mention lower msrp.
I totally agree with you, perhaps I'm biased just because that's not what I'm looking for in this car.

However, that would be a monster, even @ 2800lbs, 300AWHP 6MT with the trick STi 6Spd and diffs. It would be a beast, and as you pointed out, it'd have the price tag to go with it. It might undercut the STi by a bit, but it's still going to be mid $30s.

I think overall we're on the same page.
Bochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:40 PM   #35
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Drives: 15 DGM BRZ Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Comet View Post
And if you recall, all prev official notices have said that only the Subie version would be sold in North America.
What previous official notices? No one from Toyota or Subaru have ever said which cars are going to which markets. There were rumors that the U.S. would only get the Subie version but those were just that RUMORS.
zigzagz94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:41 PM   #36
YourFearlessLeader
Team ScioNRG President

Drives: 2017 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I just cant see why Subaru would be bringing a car out to compete with its WRX? WTF?
YourFearlessLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:49 PM   #37
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourFearlessLeader View Post
I just cant see why Subaru would be bringing a car out to compete with its WRX? WTF?
A lot of Subaru people have been crying for a WRX coupe ever since the 2.5RS left.

My GF wants one and this would be perfect for her and I could get the lighter RWD FT-86.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:54 PM   #38
White Comet
Resident Skeptic

Drives: '04 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagz94 View Post
What previous official notices? No one from Toyota or Subaru have ever said which cars are going to which markets. There were rumors that the U.S. would only get the Subie version but those were just that RUMORS.
You're correct. My bad. No need to go caps on me.
White Comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:46 PM   #39
YourFearlessLeader
Team ScioNRG President

Drives: 2017 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
A lot of Subaru people have been crying for a WRX coupe ever since the 2.5RS left.

My GF wants one and this would be perfect for her and I could get the lighter RWD FT-86.
I understand what you're saying, but this just doesn't make sense from an financial standpoint for subaru. I am not convinced that the extra RnD and extra cost that go into designing a new body will generate enough revenue, especially seeing that it will take revenues away from the current WRX line. I suppose it is possible though, i just don't see it being likely.
YourFearlessLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:50 PM   #40
Arcangel

Drives: 09 Honda CiviC LX-S Sedan
it will all come down to the weight and drive of both, styling I like them equally total different approaches the yota is sleek and sexy the subbie will be brash and intimidating
Arcangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:53 PM   #41
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,094 Times in 8,333 Posts
Mentioned: 678 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:

Yup, that's why most of GC chassis car get swap with Turbo... My opinion, I want to put H6 SVX engine in mine and keep it NA.

Quote:
I understand what you're saying, but this just doesn't make sense from an financial standpoint for subaru. I am not convinced that the extra RnD and extra cost that go into designing a new body will generate enough revenue, especially seeing that it will take revenues away from the current WRX line. I suppose it is possible though, i just don't see it being likely.
Why is it bad financial standpoint for Subaru? They have always been making new model of Impreza (every other yr or so). Like Zigzagz94 is doing. He's GF will buy AWD, while he'll buy RWD. Toyota & Subaru will profit Win win situation.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:03 PM   #42
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Quote:
It was my understanding that Toyota was intent on building the FT-86 regardless of wether subie was going to release a version or not so the majority of the R&D cost are probably being paid for by toyota. The way I see it, if this 7tune report is true, as a bonus for building the FT-86 for toyota Subaru gets a wrx coupe for little to no cost of their own. All subie has to do is figure out a way to get their AWD system in the FT-86 shell which shouldn't be hard since they are the one's building the platform to begin with. I could be completely wrong though.