follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 04-30-2012, 02:07 AM   #29
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcasso87 View Post
Yes i have, two friends have spec miatas with seats welded to the floor i still rub the roof plus i did not like the visibility from being so far down to the floor plus i found the seats uncomfortable.

I came here and asked for the best advice for tire size for tracking the FRS since i thought some people may have one by now and could provide some feedback. I did not come here to get an opinion on what i should buy or what you think about a tire brand

I think we have a very different idea on what fun means. To me it means going around a track with a smile on my face i dont think im lewis hamilton tearing up the track, i do it for fun. This does not mean i wont use my stock tires for the first time, i will use them but when it comes time to replace them i want to know what is an ideal size for this car i did not come here stating that 235 is the correct size i asked if that would be fine you are assuming i have my mind set on a 235 i am open to suggestions on tire size yes. And of course i will be playing with the alignment i always do that with my cars.

I think you got the wrong idea since i was just saying they are grippy compared to other brands or oem tires.
okay, maybe i come across as a **** and for that im sory. the point is that i dont think you are going to find a single person on this forum to say that your idea for 235s was a good one and it makes zero sense for someone with five cars and a brand new one on order to be worried about tire expenses. i dont think fast equals fun. i dont know where you got that idea. i do think excessively wide tires are neither fun or fast and that is why you need to reassess your plans.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:09 AM   #30
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Yes i have, two friends have spec miatas with seats welded to the floor i still rub the roof plus i did not like the visibility from being so far down to the floor plus i found the seats uncomfortable.

I came here and asked for the best advice for tire size for tracking the FRS since i thought some people may have one by now and could provide some feedback. I did not come here to get an opinion on what i should buy or what you think about a tire brand

I think we have a very different idea on what fun means. To me it means going around a track with a smile on my face i dont think im lewis hamilton tearing up the track, i do it for fun. This does not mean i wont use my stock tires for the first time, i will use them but when it comes time to replace them i want to know what is an ideal size for this car i did not come here stating that 235 is the correct size i asked if that would be fine you are assuming i have my mind set on a 235 i am open to suggestions on tire size yes. And of course i will be playing with the alignment i always do that with my cars.

I think you got the wrong idea since i was just saying they are grippy compared to other brands or oem tires.
If you only cared about sizing why mention, and link to, the specific brand.

But because you did you got advice on both sizing and brand model from guys with track experience. Both which you seem to be choosing to ignore.

So why ask for the advice in the first place?

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:12 AM   #31
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
This is coming from a person who probably has little to no track experience since your closest racetrack is in washington? Trust me i lived in Vancouver and know there is not a race track nearby.

30K for you buddy i live in the US more like 27.5 out the door for me. It might confuse you but im here to make it stick through your thick head i asked for tire size advice not Brand Advice. I bet the closest you have ever come to r compounds or a race track is super street magazine.
Because Mission isn't a track and people can't cross borders to go racing...?

You've confused more than just me, bud.

Because titanium.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:13 AM   #32
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Drives: Faster than the Stig!
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
okay, maybe i come across as a **** and for that im sory. the point is that i dont think you are going to find a single person on this forum to say that your idea for 235s was a good one and it makes zero sense for someone with five cars and a brand new one on order to be worried about tire expenses. i dont think fast equals fun. i dont know where you got that idea. i do think excessively wide tires are neither fun or fast and that is why you need to reassess your plans.
I appreciate your advice on tire size i will take it into consideration i might go to a smaller size. I have 5 cars but my 240sx is pending sale and the frs will replace it i was building the 240sx for track duties but found out its a headache to deal with older cars plus it hurts the wallet monthly to be fixing minor things that go wrong with older cars i prefer to buy a newer car and keep it close to stock engine wise and just play with the suspension, safety equipment, brakes, and tires. This way the only thing i will be replacing is oil, tires, and pads, instead of stuff breaking.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:19 AM   #33
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Because Mission isn't a track and people can't cross borders to go racing...?

You've confused more than just me, bud.
Mission is a joke BTW i dont even consider that a racetrack no elevation changes 1.2 miles long plus its pretty much huge ass straights. And yes people can cross the border but how often do you go?
Old 04-30-2012, 02:22 AM   #34
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Mission is a joke BTW i dont even consider that a racetrack no elevation changes 1.2 miles long plus its pretty much huge ass straights. And yes people can cross the border but how often do you go?
Meh, we work with what we have...

Any of the other advice sink in?

Because titanium.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:23 AM   #35
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Quote:
If you only cared about sizing why mention, and link to, the specific brand.

But because you did you got advice on both sizing and brand model from guys with track experience. Both which you seem to be choosing to ignore.

So why ask for the advice in the first place?
Ok so next time you go to tim hortons and ask for the breakfast sandwich ingredients im sure it wont bother you if they provide you the ingredients for their salads. Im ignoring the tire brand advice since most of the people on here that have commented against them have not even tried them out, i have, and have gone through 3 sets and they work fine. I mentioned the link because thats the cheapest i have found them and i though about sharing it with the community since that store has great deals on tires. Or are you now going to start telling me where i can and cant buy tires as well?
Old 04-30-2012, 02:28 AM   #36
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Not really an appropriate analogy, but whatever.

Enjoy your track days. I can't honestly say I don't envy your situation...

Because titanium.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:35 AM   #37
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Quote:
Not really an appropriate analogy, but whatever.

Enjoy your track days. I can't honestly say I don't envy your situation...
Did i say YOU envied me? I dont mean to be a d1ck man but seriously go read your import magazines i dont think a thread having to do with a track setup suits your knowledge, maybe if this were a thread about volk wheels and jdm goodies i would look for your advice.

Now back on topic!!

So far i have heard a smaller tire will be better for the stock wheels so what would be the best option stay with 215 or 225? I hope someone who owns or has driven the car can chime in.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:46 AM   #38
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Did i say YOU envied me? I dont mean to be a d1ck man but seriously go read your import magazines i dont think a thread having to do with a track setup suits your knowledge, maybe if this were a thread about volk wheels and jdm goodies i would look for your advice.

Now back on topic!!

So far i have heard a smaller tire will be better for the stock wheels so what would be the best option stay with 215 or 225? I hope someone who owns or has driven the car can chime in.
I'm saying I envy your position. However you don't know my knowledge. Some of that knowledge is unless you're asking for Japanese members, you're going to have a tough time finding owners here or anyone that hasn't had more than very limited seat time.

Because titanium.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #39
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Quote:
I'm saying I envy your position. However you don't know my knowledge. Some of that knowledge is unless you're asking for Japanese members, you're going to have a tough time finding owners here or anyone that hasn't had more than very limited seat time.

Quote:
I'm saying I envy your position.
Thank you for verifying that now could you please leave my thread as of right now since you have not provided any reasonable advice but just blabber your mouth on something you dont know. Im sure Japanese members are on this forum and im sure they speak english, im sure people who have driven this car can also comment since it does not take a genius to figure out if the car under or oversteers to much, or how well the grip is with the oem tires etc.

Last edited by track_warrior; 04-30-2012 at 11:59 AM.
track_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #40
Sleeperz
Banned

Drives: 1982 Toyota Corolla Coupe SR5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
From all the magazine test reviews and track testing by the pro drivers, and even Toyota themselves have said the suspension setup for the Scion FRS/Toyota GT is for a slight oversteer with the OEM tires.

The race betweem the Toyota GT, Subaru BRZ and the Mazda MX5 shows it.

Quote:
Im sure Japanese members are on this forum and im sure they speak english, im sure people who have driven this car can also comment since it does not take a genius to figure out if the car under or oversteers to much, or how well the grip is with the oem tires etc.
Sleeperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #41
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeperz View Post
From all the magazine test reviews and track testing by the pro drivers, and even Toyota themselves have said the suspension setup for the Scion FRS/Toyota GT is for a slight oversteer with the OEM tires.

The race betweem the Toyota GT, Subaru BRZ and the Mazda MX5 shows it.
Yup im wondering if its a bit too much though, a way to correct it could also be going a bit wider in the back but i am afraid to cause understeer on a car thats so well balanced. Its weird that all tires are the same size, and normally rwd cars come with a staggered setup.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:22 PM   #42
Sleeperz
Banned

Drives: 1982 Toyota Corolla Coupe SR5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Oversteer only occurs when your pushing the limits of the car. Don't turn off the Stability control and you will be fine. Lots of new technology on the lastest cars to keep you out of trouble.

30 years ago Domestic V8 cars had less than 200 HP from 5+ L . Now your getting 200Hp from 2L that is why cars these days have stability and traction control.

Good Test Video
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5528

Quote:
Yup im wondering if its a bit too much though, a way to correct it could also be going a bit wider in the back but i am afraid to cause understeer on a car thats so well balanced. Its weird that all tires are the same size, and normally rwd cars come with a staggered setup.

Last edited by Sleeperz; 04-30-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Sleeperz is offline   Reply With Quote