follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-13-2015, 08:34 PM   #29
boomslang

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've got my oil temp sensor in the oil galley port. On the passenger side of the engine, there is another oil access port under the fuel injector cover. I'm using this access port for pressure.

boomslang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boomslang For This Useful Post:
jdnguyen (09-13-2015)
Old 09-14-2015, 11:01 AM   #30
celek
Resident Gear Head

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgibbsunc View Post
Maybe you should have posted this in the FI section. Since most na guys wont be running gauges.
HA! Oil temp and pressure are important in any car. I always run those in my builds as well as coolant temps.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:00 PM   #31

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Will this fit on top of mishimoto oil cooler sandwich adapter to get the temp and pressure gauges working

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop...-block-adapter

Sent from my 86 using Tapatalk
VOLK LE37 17X7.5, SWIFT Springs, Bilstein B8, HKS intake duct, Cosworth Air Filter, HKS headers, PLM Over Pipe, EVS Down Pipe & Exhaust, FD 4.55, GFB pulleys, Axle-Exchange Drive Shaft, Mishimoto oil cooler, Cusco F&R strut bar, TRD door stabilizer, Innovate SC, Delicious Tuned
8686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 04:12 PM   #32
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
You guys could also order a @Mishimoto thermostat plate it has 2 sensor ports in addition to ports for the cooler lines.
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:51 AM   #33
xkalelx

Drives: 2013 BRZ black
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
@BatStig So I got my TRD sandwich plate in and tried to test fit my Tanabe sensors (pressure and temp) but it looks like they didnt cut enough threads with their 1/8"NPT tap. I can only get maybe one thread started. Did you have the same issue? Looking for a tap right now to go a little deeper....

xkalelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:47 AM   #34
BatStig
Some say.....

Drives: 2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkalelx View Post
@BatStig So I got my TRD sandwich plate in and tried to test fit my Tanabe sensors (pressure and temp) but it looks like they didnt cut enough threads with their 1/8"NPT tap. I can only get maybe one thread started. Did you have the same issue? Looking for a tap right now to go a little deeper....
Don't quote me on this, but I believe the issue is that your sensor threads are NPT and the sandwich plate threads are PT. I believe the PT has a slight taper to it. I believe it can either be tapped out to fit the NPT, or you can purchase a NPT to PT adapter.
BatStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:19 AM   #35
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
You guys could also order a @Mishimoto thermostat plate it has 2 sensor ports in addition to ports for the cooler lines.
This is my plan when I do gauges and an oil cooler.

One plate that handles it all!
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:38 AM   #36
xkalelx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatStig View Post
Don't quote me on this, but I believe the issue is that your sensor threads are NPT and the sandwich plate threads are PT. I believe the PT has a slight taper to it. I believe it can either be tapped out to fit the NPT, or you can purchase a NPT to PT adapter.
Nope, Its definitely NPT. To the best of my knowledge whenever anyone says "Pipe thread" they are refering to NPT. There is a BPT (British) standard but it is seldom used.

I found a 1/8NPT tap and chased a few more threads down. Solved my problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post

Thats definitely a solid choice. I already had the Mocal unit and didnt want to replace.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:10 AM   #37
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Quote:

This will NOT work I thought it would but there is no way for the sensor so fit in without hitting the belt or oil filler cap. I had to install my old greddy sandwitch plate ontop of the mishimoto oil cooler setup. Also just a heads up even with a 200F thermostat the oil will still be over cooled under normal street driving. Under race enviroments it works awesome though!
The Following User Says Thank You to go_a_way1 For This Useful Post:
xkalelx (09-29-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 10:16 AM   #38
xkalelx

Quote:
This will NOT work I thought it would but there is no way for the sensor so fit in without hitting the belt or oil filler cap. I had to install my old greddy sandwitch plate ontop of the mishimoto oil cooler setup. Also just a heads up even with a 200F thermostat the oil will still be over cooled under normal street driving. Under race enviroments it works awesome though!
What if you use a spacer like the Perrin to get the sandwich plate higher? Did you use a stacked spacer when you found there was interference?
Old 09-29-2015, 10:22 AM   #39
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkalelx View Post
What if you use a spacer like the Perrin to get the sandwich plate higher? Did you use a stacked spacer when you found there was interference?
I tried that too but with no luck. You have a belt on one side and the oil filler cap on the other. You would need to stack a few plates but then doing that would leave the sensor over the filler cap as you can't really turn it much and good luck finding those hollow bolts the filter screws on to if you want to make a custom spacer.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:23 AM   #40
JazzleSAURUS

Quote:
Did you try 90 degree fittings?

Which oil did you run that was overcooled? Once it hits 200, it should cool down from there so if you're not hitting it, it's just a higher volume, yes?
My plan was to run a blockoff plate in the colder environments.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
Old 09-29-2015, 11:47 AM   #41
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Quote:
Did you try 90 degree fittings?

Which oil did you run that was overcooled? Once it hits 200, it should cool down from there so if you're not hitting it, it's just a higher volume, yes?
My plan was to run a blockoff plate in the colder environments.
fittings will not work for my sensor as it has to be in the flow of the oil. If it was just pressure that would work fine.

0W-20 in about 15*C outside.

Thats what I thought but if I drive on the highway for like 5 minutes it will drop to 130F from like 190F Maybe bad thermostat? Should I put the other one back in and see if it does the same thing?

Yeah I am planning on blocking the cooler off for the winter
Old 09-29-2015, 02:39 PM   #42
JazzleSAURUS

Quote:
fittings will not work for my sensor as it has to be in the flow of the oil. If it was just pressure that would work fine.

0W-20 in about 15*C outside.

Thats what I thought but if I drive on the highway for like 5 minutes it will drop to 130F from like 190F Maybe bad thermostat? Should I put the other one back in and see if it does the same thing?

Yeah I am planning on blocking the cooler off for the winter
That sounds like the thermostat is a bit overactive. I would contact Mishimoto about that perhaps.

Another idea, how about a bracket that lets you loosen it, and rotate it up 90 degrees up out of the airflow through the bumper for cooler temps? If not, a plastic cutting board with a few holes drilled in it, and bolts sandwiching it over the cooler!