follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #29
Nightbringer

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
A better option would be free tuning. Being realistic, many of us paid the extra sum of money for the expertise of Visconti, FA20Club, etc. Those that didn't like the model or wanted to tune for themselves went with BRZedit. I like not having to drive to a different state to get retuned when I throw a new part at the car, and the extra money was worth it to continue getting free updates/support from talented people.

Will another option become dominant 5 years down the road? Statistically that's been the case. However, EcuTEK isn't going to drastically change their model, even with the bashing being brought into a half-dozen threads. Don't take offense, I wholly see your point, I just think the market has spoken and the argument does nothing to better/advance the community.
Nightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nightbringer For This Useful Post:
Calum (07-11-2013)
Old 07-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #30
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toma View Post
Please. I just had no idea it was essentially worthless. Most any other part you can get 50 to 60 percent on your dollar. Hell... unmarried diablo or sct or evem cobb will bring 70 percent

And seems NO ONE likes the model. But some will make excuses and rationalize it.... or put up with it for lack of better options.
I like it.

Maybe you could try putting some of this effort into furthering brzedit instead of trying to drag euctek through the mud. Ecutek being the biggest competitor of the product you use, this doesn't make you look like a reputable tuner at all. Notice how the successful vendors don't bash each other? This is a big part of why they're successful. I like to call it integrity.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #31
Toma

Drives: Viper, Mustang, FD RX7, FFR GTM
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
I like it.

Maybe you could try putting some of this effort into furthering brzedit instead of trying to drag euctek through the mud. Ecutek being the biggest competitor of the product you use, this doesn't make you look like a reputable tuner at all. Notice how the successful vendors don't bash each other? This is a big part of why they're successful. I like to call it integrity.
Im not bashing any vendors tuners.

Just had a guy that bought the ecutek and didnt know it would be worthless.

Seems an important point to stress.

Keep this on topic. This is not about me.

So move along, you too have made your point repeatedly.
Toma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #32
Nightbringer

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toma View Post
Im not bashing any vendors tuners.

Just had a guy that bought the ecutek and didnt know it would be worthless.

Seems an important point to stress.

Keep this on topic. This is not about me.

So move along, you too have made your point repeatedly.
I thought the documentation was very clear as far as the license being consumed after purchase. Did he not read the FAQ or any of the threads on the forum? It even alerts you, again, before you flash the car. You're phrasing it like they're intentionally screwing people. If I pay $100 to go to a concert, and I don't enjoy the concert or have to leave early, that doesn't mean the concert was inherently worthless. Just means I made a poor call.
Nightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nightbringer For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (07-12-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 01:01 AM   #33
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Sounds like you have no experience with a Cobb Accessport, or similar.

The AP is just an interface to be able to flash your ECU, similar to the ECUTek cable. The AP must be "married" to your ECU to be able to flash that ECU. Once married, you can't use it to tune any other ECU, unless you "unmarry" from the original ECU. Unmarrying consists of reflashing back to stock, and then being free from the pairing. The AP is then free to be used on ANY other ECU, after being married to that new ECU.
I do know how they work, many of my friends with WRXs and STIs swear by them. But what I said was not untrue, you take away the access port, you take away the tune, effectively making it good for only that one car
Old 07-12-2013, 03:34 AM   #34
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,181 Times in 6,837 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkAsphalt View Post
I do know how they work, many of my friends with WRXs and STIs swear by them. But what I said was not untrue, you take away the access port, you take away the tune, effectively making it good for only that one car
The device is only good for one car *at a time*. You can use it on any other car if you choose to do so.

It's like a set of wheels... you can only have them on one car at a time...
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
xjohnx (07-12-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #35
Visconti
Banned

Drives: 05 STi
Thanked 3,188 Times in 1,197 Posts
Mentioned: 375 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Visconti
People need to realize that ecutek is no cobb accessport or Diablo..

EcuTek doesn't want their licenses to be resold and i really don't want my tunes resold.

I think it's funny how quickly people forget how lucky we all are a company like EcuTek is supporting this platform. If EcuTek didn't spend the time and money working on these cars this platform would be completely different !

It's not like EcuTek did simple ecu support and bailed on all of us after. They continue to update their product and stay on top of their game even when they have no real competition. Brzedit isn't competition .. That product is at a entirely different level, similar to the unichip, IMO of course lol .

John
Visconti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Visconti For This Useful Post:
Barbarian (07-12-2013), DJCarbine (07-12-2013), feldy (07-12-2013), ftc~brz (07-12-2013), King Tut (07-15-2013), SkAsphalt (07-12-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #36
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkAsphalt View Post
Apparently not. Once it's unmarried from one car, it can be married to another car and upload the tune to the new car immediately. It's only good for one car at a time, but it is absolutely transferable.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #37
feldy

Drives: 2013 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
I don't see why people think the tune should be re-sellable. You buy the tune they spend time looking at your logs fixing your car up. Some give free updates some dont. Say you sell your tune for 200 do you really think the tuner should start all over with another car with the resold tune. And not get anymore money? I don't that's fucked up. That's like paying one shop to install coil overs and you sell them and expect them to do the reinstall for the price you already paid on another car.

When people take there cars and standalone management to a dyno they don't resell the dyno tune they sell the hardware. If there is a map on it and the other car runs then so be it. But there is no guarantee since each car is different.

Just be glad they hacked the ecu. My last car had a Toyota ecu and it could not be hacked. Tuning for that starts at 2k you need hardware that runs more then ekutek cable and a license price does. Then you need a tuner and dyno time. Easy another 500 bucks.

You can resell the ecutek cable for 200 to 250. You can charge people around your area to use the cable and recoup your cost over time.

But since the license is only to use the software you can't sell that. And the tune since its configured for your car will only hurt someone else's car unless its the same car same mods.

We have a brz edit vs ecutek thread already so let's keep that out of this.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #38
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCarbine View Post
A popular honda/acura alternative Kpro is awesome because they don't sell tunes, they simply modify your ECU with a daughterboard, install a USB interface, and you download the reflashing/tune editing software for free.

When you sell your Kpro, you just sell the whole ECU.

Basemap tunes were free, and it was easy to create your own. From there you only pay a tuner to tune your basemap, or tune it yourself.

I personally really liked that setup..... when you purchased an FI kit, there was a corresponding basemap built into the software. If there wasn't, chances are someone else had a basemap for you to try. If you couldn't find a basemap for your particular mods, you simply loaded one that was close and tuned it yourself or payed someone to tune it over the net... I think e-tunes were less than 100 bucks
x2 here
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #39
qoncept

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
Brzedit isn't competition .. That product is at a entirely different level, similar to the unichip, IMO of course lol .
Does "IMO of course lol" mean "what I said was totally absurd but I am relinquishing any responsibility for saying it" ?

brzedit is an ecu flash
unichip is a piggyback
ecutek is an ecu flash

Which two are more alike? I mean, seriously, that is the most ridiculous thing I've read all day. And I've been on these forums like a half hour already. Honestly, I 100% believe you said that the way you did 1) because people that didn't know better would believe it and 2) because it gave you an "out" when someone called you on saying something so ridiculous.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #40
Toma

Quote:
Originally Posted by qoncept View Post
Does "IMO of course lol" mean "what I said was totally absurd but I am relinquishing any responsibility for saying it" ?

brzedit is an ecu flash
unichip is a piggyback
ecutek is an ecu flash

Which two are more alike? I mean, seriously, that is the most ridiculous thing I've read all day. And I've been on these forums like a half hour already. Honestly, I 100% believe you said that the way you did 1) because people that didn't know better would believe it and 2) because it gave you an "out" when someone called you on saying something so ridiculous.
I think he was drunk when he wrote that lol. Flash tunes. Better logger. All the same tuning parameters are there. But brzedit is missing a couple useless gimmicks.... like your tach displaying flash progress lmao!
Old 07-12-2013, 11:32 AM   #41
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
When you buy something, research it.
If it doesn't fit your needs, find an alternative.

I bought ECUTEK knowing full well everything involved.
If you buy it and then realize "crap I can't easily resell this", you did not research enough or ask questions.

Caveat emptor
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:01 PM   #42
Toma

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCarbine View Post
When you buy something, research it.
If it doesn't fit your needs, find an alternative.

I bought ECUTEK knowing full well everything involved.
If you buy it and then realize "crap I can't easily resell this", you did not research enough or ask questions.

Caveat emptor
We are in North America. The world here makes sense.

If I but a tv.... I dont read the whole 10 page legal crap BEFORE I buy it.

I make the REASONABLE assumption that I can later resell my smart plasma tv without rendering it useless by removing its software or license.

Ditto if I buy a computer. I can resell without rendering it useless and having to pay microsoft again.

Ditto your Subaru. Its useless without its software and Subaru kindly lets you transfer the car and software to someone else at no cost.

Ditto Diablo, Cobb, SCT, Hypertech, bullydog etc

Pretty well everything in north America can be bought and resold. Its the American way.

So it is UNREASONABLE to do it ecutek way. And blaming someone for not reading the manual BEFORE they even have it in their hands.... especially all that lengthy legal crap is unreasonable.